GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Removing ferns and recovering space (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/80730-removing-ferns-recovering-space.html)

Zemedelec 02-08-2004 04:51 PM

Removing ferns and recovering space

I've often been surprosed how shallow fern root systems are. Give yours a
gentle tug and see if they move.

OTOH, your trash may be someone's treasure. Those ferns could be worth
anything from $300 to nothing each, depending on their type, size, etc. Put an
ad in the paper or on local bulletin boards, with a pic if possible, along the
lines of "Free ferns---you dig and fill," and you may be surprised by the
response. The previous owners of my house seem to have done nothing but water
the lawn, so I inherited a jungle which I am slowly editing--partly bu hand,
partly by the above method.
zemedelec

Ravi 03-08-2004 04:29 AM

Removing ferns and recovering space (Thanks for the suggestions)

(Lee) wrote in message . com...
wish i had them and had room for them and they would grow in my zone!
some people have all the luck! give it at least a season before you
make an ir-reversable decision.
lee h

Thanks to all who replied. I'll look into building some kind of plant
containers around the existing ferns rather than digging them up.

--- Ravi