Old 01-08-2004, 12:36 AM
THURSTON ACKERMAN

Default Dahlia disaster!

FamilyNet Newsgate

VHI planted some large dahlias this year using a support system that someone
VH(here?) recommended. It consisted of tomato cages that had the lets cut
VHoff. You put the cage on the ground, large circle down, and fastened it to
VHthe ground with the wire legs that you cut off.

VHAll went well for a while. The dahlia got to be about 6 feet tall and were
VHcovered with flowers. Last nigh we had a moderate storm with some big
VHgusts. One neighbor lost his Bradford pear (not that it was a shock). The
VHwind broke off my dahlias about two fee from the ground. They are all bent
VHover and pinched tightly on main stem. I doubt that they could be uprighted
VHand live? Any advice would be appreciated. At this point I assume that the
VHonly thing I can do is cut them off at the ground and let them start over.

I use my tomato cages for half for my tomatoes. The other, more robust
stalks I drive a couple stakes and run a rope between them; to which
I attach the stalks just below the area where those are bearing fruit.

My dahlias also work best supported (but not always attached) by ropes
stung between poles driven into the ground in line with the main stalks.

Sorry for your loss; but I would only remove the plant material torn
from the plants, and let Mother Nature take care of repairing the
damage. The bulbs need to store up strengh to be productive again
next season.

Ciao, Ack.

---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ It's only a hobby ... only a hobby ... only a

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

[IMG] code is On

Dahlia disaster! Vox Humana Gardening 58 03-08-2004 02:22 PM
Shareholders Pond is a Disaster Benign Vanilla Ponds 10 04-05-2003 03:56 PM
My yard is a disaster! Please help! Jack Gardening 2 15-04-2003 10:56 PM
Disaster struck a fellow PORG Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 6 18-03-2003 02:44 AM
Worstall-Style Capitalism: Eyewitness: Villages stunned by oil disaster Larry Harrell alt.forestry 0 23-11-2002 01:06 AM