Old 02-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Dan Hartung

Default Identify wildflower?

We have some lovely volunteers in a driveway/sidewalk crack. Twice we've
tried to transplant without success. We have two more specimens we've
left alone but they're in a vulnerable area.

The plant grows handily out of concrete cracks among many less-desirable
weeds. We're in unglaciated S Wisconsin.

It has a lavender or violet flower that is presently in bloom. The
maximum height of any specimen we have is about 12". The leaves are
unlike anything I can find in any references, online or in print. They
resemble the toothed geranium leaf, but they have three distinct fingers
or lobes each with teeth only at the end.

Anyway, having this knowledge, any tips on getting the survivors to safe
ground?

Old 02-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Cereus-validus

What knowledge? Your description is inadequate for identification. A picture
would be more informative.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Ron Hardin

Get Newcomb's Wildflower Guide.

It's entered on petal count and leaf geometry, so remember those if
you can't get the guide instantly.
--
Ron Hardin

Old 03-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Pen

A picture's worth a thousand words. There's too many possibilities...

I can spend all day guessing but I was just thinking of bird's foot
violets (Viola pedata). It loves gravely soils and it's almost
impossible to transplant once established. Here's some images:

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...violapeda.html
http://www.ohiodnr.com/dnap/heritage...a%20pedata.jpg

There is also a close relative (Viola pedatifida):

http://www.rmrp.com/Images/Plants/V/...a%20100DPI.jpg

Old 03-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Dan Hartung

Cereus-validus wrote:
What knowledge? Your description is inadequate for identification. A picture
would be more informative.

I am sorry my description was inadequate. Surely my expectation of a
gracious reply and a little bit of guesswork was out of place in such a
newsgroup as this. Perhaps a small sketch will assist you, since you are
such a Cereus soul.

XXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXX

Old 03-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Cereus-validus

Your sarcasm does not compensate for your not providing adequate info for
identification. A much more thorough description of the flowering parts and
foliage is a necessity for one to even make the most rudimentary guess as to
the plant's identity. Consider what info you yourself would need to be able
to correctly identify it. A vague description of the leaves alone just is
not enough.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:08 AM
Dan Hartung

Pen wrote:
A picture's worth a thousand words. There's too many possibilities...

Tell me about it!

I can spend all day guessing but I was just thinking of bird's foot
violets (Viola pedata). It loves gravely soils and it's almost
impossible to transplant once established. Here's some images:

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...violapeda.html
http://www.ohiodnr.com/dnap/heritage...a%20pedata.jpg

That second one is uncannily similar. Not quite, though.

With the help of an elderly lady on the block, we seem to have a winner,
though -- an obscure variety of hibiscus. I always thought the leaves
were fatter, more like strawberry leaves, or the Girl Scout logo. (Okay,
the 'laevis' Hibiscus comes closest to what I know.)

The one we have is somewhere in-between the 'wild hibiscus' and the
ha-ha-only-serious 'hibiscus cannabinensis':
http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/547/
http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/46271/

The lobes we have are much more like -- oh, try this image of a "true"
Maltese Cross, where the fingers radiate outward and there are
indentations at the ends of the fingers:
http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/gms/sinister.htm

Anyway ... it looks more like a garden escapee, now, than a native
wildflower. But boy, is it plucky (judging by where it's decided to grow).