Old 02-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Brian

Default Removing Tree Stumps Next to Garage

There were several trees growing right next to my garage causing
problems with the cement slap. I had them cut down, but the tree
service told me the stumps were to close to the garage to grind them
down. In fact, two of the stumps are actually touching the garage.
Well, now these stumps are growing little branches and causing more
trouble. I can't exactly burn the stumps for fear of burning down my
garage. Any suggestions for removing these stumps or at least killing
them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 02-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Matt

There is a product sold by the name of Stump-B-Gone. It will promote the
growth of naturally occuring microbes to speed up the decomposition of the
stump. You can achieve pretty much the same results by doing a few easy
things. First take a drill with a large bit and drill out the stumps as
best you can, then just keep the stumps nice and moist. Then let mother
nature take over. I have also heard of pouring such items as mollassis or
butter milk into the drilled out stumps to promote the microbes, but I don't
know if their is any truth to it.
As far as just killing the stumps, pouring gasoline or kerosene into the
drilled out stumps should take car of it. Although I don't promote this due
to the contamination of the surrounding soils.
good luck,

om...

Old 03-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Dave Gower

"Brian" wrote

Any suggestions for removing these stumps or at least killing
them would be greatly appreciated.

Roundup, painted full strength on the new green leaves with a brush will
kill the stumps. To speed things up, wait a day after treating the leaves,
then cut the green branches and paint additional Roundup on the fresh live
wood.

Getting rid of stumps this close to a structure is one of your ultimate
landscaping challenges. If you feel energetic you could try digging around
them on the side away from the building and cutting the wood away with any
one of a variety of power tools. One of those rotary cutters would be slow
but safe, as would a power drill with a wide wood-cutting bit. But roots
that have grown under the building would be a real problem. Fortunately
roots do not seek out dry areas so if the structure was there before the
plant that may not be a problem.

Good luck.

[IMG] code is On

What do you use to poison tree stumps? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 28-03-2009 11:03 PM
removing tree stumps mm Lawns 0 25-01-2006 01:28 AM
Removing tree stumps martin United Kingdom 2 04-05-2004 05:14 PM
tree stumps Mogie Gardening 2 30-09-2003 04:03 AM
Protect Tree Stumps Paul Gardening 15 04-09-2003 10:02 PM