Old 02-08-2004, 05:52 PM
madgardener

Default another echinacea question

At werk (Lowes) we got in these "Magnus" coneflowers. And "White Swan". First to fill youse in.....these plants have CRINKLED, scratchy leaves. HUGE things. not pointy like normally found on these plants. But four to five inches wide and puckered like some mature Hosta's do. Both the White Swan and the Magnus (if this is what they are) have their flowers about four inches no more than six inches set and the flowers are gigantic. The heads of both of them range in size from 2 1/2 inches across to 4 1/2 inches across!!

The plants on some have branched and the flowerheads are just as huge, and the stems are very hairy and scratchy and stiff and hold the flowers quite well at these angles. these plants came from Stacey's greenhouses in South Carolina (yeah, we don't normally get Stacey's flowers now, Home Depraived does now, but our perennial provider ran outa plants and this is who we got a shipment from). Are these Magnus normal or have they mixed up a shipment of another variety like Ruby Star and Kim's Knee high? These aren't even knee high. They're more like 18 inches at the MOST. Most of the pots of plants are good to even hit a foot tall.........and when planted in the garden, reckon these will lengthen upwards? I hadda ask!
madgardener still in the dark about Squire's offering position (it's down to two people, him and another driver.........

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:47 PM
escapee

Chances are, since this is probably their tenth turn over in their greenhouses
or fields is that they used a growth inhibitor so plants will remain small, but
force fed them so they'd come into color for market. I don't know what
chemicals they are using now, but when I was a grower we used Bonsai or Bnine or
a few others to keep, say, mums short, but in full color.

As always, it's always better to buy plants in bud, not in flower, but this is
what your plants sound like. Forced, but held back by chemical control. Ask
the grower next time.

I have 'Magnus' and it is at least 4 feet tall, 'White Swan' is not as tall, but
still at least 3 feet.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:52:41 -0400, "madgardener" opined:

Old 03-08-2004, 05:23 PM
madgardener

thanks Vito, I was wondering if I was speaking to an empty
room..............I haven't bought these yet, but am wondering if I should
get one of each to release into the non-confines of my western bed where the
garter grass died a horrible death. Of course I can't afford to buy any
plants at the moment, but these leaves on the plants are so
awesome.......I'm just floundering right now.....my gardens are in the yuck
stage.........the swamp sunflower are EVERYWHERE, (do you want seeds to
scatter in the far back of your yard for the birds to feast on next August?)
once they start flowering, the finches will be here by the hordes. There is
that at least to say for these things. But invasive? Were it not for the
fact that they are really easy to rip out......................
thanks for hollering back at me!
maddie

Old 03-08-2004, 07:32 PM
escapee

The one good thing about echinacea is that it does look good this time of the
tangles and brambling gardens of summer. I cut all of mine back about three
weeds ago, side dressed them all with nice fertilizer and they are all flowering
again. They do that all summer.

Now, for the swamp sunflowers. They come up everywhere in the back and right
now the finches are swinging on the plants by the droves. I have one which came
up in the front garden and it's so huge, I limbed it up and it is now a ten
foot tall sunflower tree! People stop and look at it like I'm crazy, but
there's finches and chickadees on that there plant!

I say, buy one of the 'Magnus.' I am not all that happy about 'White Swan.'

Vito

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:23:33 -0400, "madgardener" opined:

Old 03-08-2004, 09:05 PM
madgardener

--
"escapee" wrote in message
The one good thing about echinacea is that it does look good this time of

the
tangles and brambling gardens of summer. I cut all of mine back about

three
weeds ago, side dressed them all with nice fertilizer and they are all

flowering
again. They do that all summer.

three weeds ago? I like how youse thinks!LOL

Now, for the swamp sunflowers. They come up everywhere in the back and

right
now the finches are swinging on the plants by the droves. I have one

which came
up in the front garden and it's so huge, I limbed it up and it is now a

ten
foot tall sunflower tree!

Ummm Vito? I think what I'm calling Swamp sunflower, might have another
name. The leaves resemble marijuana, then the plants become wispy and tall
like. Then the flowers appear (a few weeks from now) like some overgrown
Coreopsis that makes seeds like the cosmos do. I needs to post you a
picture..................my wild sunflowers look like sunflower trees, and
the birds always grace me with around 10 or so, which I thin down to 5 good
ones, and the rains sometimes fell the largest and best ones (like this week
but I propped it up against the gate beside the zebra grasses and I'm
sure the finches will poke thru the immature seedhead and enjoy my attempts
at salvaging the plant to them.

People stop and look at it like I'm crazy, but
there's finches and chickadees on that there plant!

I feels the same way. I rescued a fledgling House Wren yesterday. It was my
own damn fault. I thought the nest in the windowbox that sits on the railing
of the kitchen deck was empty and went rooting around in there and out
popped two frantic fledglings. Then the third one popped out and before the
cats could nab him/her, I watched carefully and grabbed the little thing,
let it calm down and then put it back into it's nest. Hopefully
sister./brother found their way back to the hidey home. I feel like a heel.
Bad enough Piquito (stumpy natural manx kitty/hair bag) is big game kittie
and keeps harvesting my foul tasting beloved frogs from the BBQ
pit/fountain.....................$%^#$^#@%%

I say, buy one of the 'Magnus.' I am not all that happy about 'White

Swan.'

You got it. Tomorrow I come home with a couple Magnus...............if I
ain't fried in the heat, that is..............

again, thanks for holler back at me Vito..............
maddie
Vito

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Swamp sunflower or marijuana daisies.JPEG (70.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpeg Swamp daisies.JPEG (70.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpeg Swamp daisies in full display.JPEG (163.7 KB, 163 views)

[IMG] code is On

Echinacea (Purple Magnus) and Slugs Steve Gardening 1 24-02-2005 11:43 PM
echinacea eaten Andrea Iles Australia 0 02-04-2003 01:32 AM
Echinacea 'Razzmatazz' - one ex Wayside employee J Kolenovsky Gardening 3 25-01-2003 03:16 PM
Echinacea 'Razzmatazz' Tom Gardening 1 25-01-2003 04:03 AM
Soil for echinacea Purp' HaaRoy United Kingdom 1 23-12-2002 09:41 PM