Old 02-08-2004, 07:14 PM
do not spam

Default Mushy Peaches

I have two peach trees in my backyard here in Las Vegas, NV. One of them
had its fruit ripen earlier than the other and had no fruit quality
problems. My second and bigger peach tree is now getting ripe fruit.
This fruit is bigger. However, about 60 percent of the fruit is rotten.
I estimate about 60 percent of the fruit is affected. There are
various sized external "rot holes or just surface indications of it
being rotten. The fruit is soft and very mushy inside and is an off
color inside. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Jerry

Here is a link to pictures of some bad peaches of this tree:

http://members.cox.net/jcjacques/peach/badpeach.html

Old 03-08-2004, 01:02 AM
TQ

"do not spam" "do not wrote in message
| I have two peach trees in my backyard here in Las Vegas, NV. One of them
| had its fruit ripen earlier than the other and had no fruit quality
| problems. My second and bigger peach tree is now getting ripe fruit.
| This fruit is bigger. However, about 60 percent of the fruit is rotten.
| I estimate about 60 percent of the fruit is affected. There are
| various sized external "rot holes or just surface indications of it
| being rotten. The fruit is soft and very mushy inside and is an off
| color inside. Any ideas as to what is causing this?
|
| Jerry
|
| Here is a link to pictures of some bad peaches of this tree:
|
| http://members.cox.net/jcjacques/peach/badpeach.html

Is the damage on the same side of every fruit? If so, does this side face
south? The damage could be sun scald.

Could also be anthracnose...
http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/part2/part22aa.htm

...or brown rot...
http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/part2/part22am.htm

--
TQ

Old 03-08-2004, 01:02 AM
TQ

Old 03-08-2004, 01:25 AM
do not spam

TQ wrote:

"do not spam" "do not wrote in message
| I have two peach trees in my backyard here in Las Vegas, NV. One of them
| had its fruit ripen earlier than the other and had no fruit quality
| problems. My second and bigger peach tree is now getting ripe fruit.
| This fruit is bigger. However, about 60 percent of the fruit is rotten.
| I estimate about 60 percent of the fruit is affected. There are
| various sized external "rot holes or just surface indications of it
| being rotten. The fruit is soft and very mushy inside and is an off
| color inside. Any ideas as to what is causing this?
|
| Jerry
|
| Here is a link to pictures of some bad peaches of this tree:
|
| http://members.cox.net/jcjacques/peach/badpeach.html

Is the damage on the same side of every fruit? If so, does this side face
south? The damage could be sun scald.

Could also be anthracnose...
http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/part2/part22aa.htm

..or brown rot...
http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/part2/part22am.htm

TQ,

The second link describes my problem tree well and believe that is what
is happening with my tree.. I doubt it is sun burn as it is happening
to peaches well shaded all day. Thanks for the links - I'll take it the
precautions the link suggested.

Jerry J

Old 03-08-2004, 04:42 AM
B & J

"do not spam" "do not wrote in message
I have two peach trees in my backyard here in Las Vegas, NV. One of them
had its fruit ripen earlier than the other and had no fruit quality
problems. My second and bigger peach tree is now getting ripe fruit.
This fruit is bigger. However, about 60 percent of the fruit is rotten.
I estimate about 60 percent of the fruit is affected. There are
various sized external "rot holes or just surface indications of it
being rotten. The fruit is soft and very mushy inside and is an off
color inside. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Jerry

Here is a link to pictures of some bad peaches of this tree:

http://members.cox.net/jcjacques/peach/badpeach.html

Your peaches have brown rot, a common fungal disease of peaches/nectarines.
It's one of the prime reasons why peaches are so difficult to raise in our
humid climate without a spray regimen. Did you have some rain when or before
these peaches began ripening? Anyway, my early peaches that ripened during a
dry spell, at least those the squirrels didn't get, had no brown rot, but a
few of my later peaches that started ripening during a rain spell did. Check
this site:

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville.../ombrownr.html

or type in "peach brown rot" in a Google search.

John

Old 03-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Steve

B & J wrote:

Your peaches have brown rot, a common fungal disease of peaches/nectarines.
It's one of the prime reasons why peaches are so difficult to raise in our
humid climate.......................

In Las Vegas????

Old 03-08-2004, 08:08 AM
do not spam

B & J wrote:
[...]

Did not have rain until the last day or two - but the infection was
evident before this. Did have an unusually wet February here. That was
when the trees started budding and blossoming. From the link you sent
it is obvious it is brown rot.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:20 AM
B & J

"Steve" wrote in message

B & J wrote:

Your peaches have brown rot, a common fungal disease of

peaches/nectarines.
It's one of the prime reasons why peaches are so difficult to raise in

our
humid climate.......................

In Las Vegas????

BTW, Steve, did you check out the pictures he sent and those on the web site
I suggested? I don't know what it's called in Las Vesgas or where you live,
but it still looks like the brown rot where I live. G It does seem a bit
strange that it appear on peaches in Las Vegas, which is why I asked about
recent rain. Evidently there wasn't any rain recently, but according to
Jerry there was an unusually wet spring and under such circumstances a
regular spraying program to prevent brown rot is required as soon as the
peaches set. IMHO, raising peaches is a big pain. Apples or pears are far
easier.

John

Old 14-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Susan K. Wehe

This is when a good maintainance program pays off, be sure and pick up all debris,
mow and bag, but don't recycle it, it will contain loads of spoors. In your
climate, that's probably enough as I would imagine that wet springs are rare
there.

susan