Old 02-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Mike

Default Jerry Baker

Just got "America's Master Gardener's (r)" book _Backyard Problem Solver_
The guy with all the wacky schemes, you know. Like to keep cats away
sprinkle vinegar around where you don't want them. Anyways, he calls for
ammonia (highly diluted of course) as a source of nitrogen fertilization.
How do you buy ammonia?

Old 02-08-2004, 10:35 PM
paghat

In article , "Mike"
wrote:

Just got "America's Master Gardener's (r)" book _Backyard Problem Solver_
The guy with all the wacky schemes, you know. Like to keep cats away
sprinkle vinegar around where you don't want them. Anyways, he calls for
ammonia (highly diluted of course) as a source of nitrogen fertilization.
How do you buy ammonia?

Is Jerry Baker often regarded as an idiot? I've heard so many bad advice
bits blamed on him. The advice isn't baseless, but it's not ideal. It has
roughly the same effect as having a dog pee on your plants, or being on
them yourself, which can be benificial or not, a little unpredictably
depending on soil type & the amount of of urea & amonia in the pee.

You can buy it in any grocery store for scant pennies. A teaspoon to a
tablespoon per gallon won't kill the plants, & some people do recommend it
as a mild nitrogen fertilizer. However, anhydrous ammonia converts to
nitrogen WAY slowly & ends up delivering very little nitrogen even in
acidic soil, but in alkaline soil it converts hardly at all. In either
case it will likely wash through the soil from watering & rainfall before
it has done much good.

If you have alkaline soils, there will be no nitrogen effect, so some have
suggested adding twice as much vinegar as ammonia in order to acidify the
soil when the dilute ammonia is poored around a plant. Tinkering randomly
with pH is not necessarily a good thing for the plants, however, & it
remains that rainfall & average watering will wash it out of the soil
before it breaks down into nitrogen.

Additionally, check labels, some ammonia is sold with other ingredients in it.

Good nitrogen production is done by microorganisms in the soil, not by
adding chemicals which upset the microorganism balance. You'll get better
nitrogen in the soil by mixing in some steer manure & alfalfa powder &
keeping the area moist, than by adding any kind of liquid nitrogen or
ammonia. This isn't because there's lots of nitrogen in manure compost or
alfalfa (there isn't), it's because these encourage the required
microorganisms to produce nitrogen continuously as it is required, in a
form that is the most accessible to plants. If the ammonia or
ammonia-&-vinegar soil-rinses managed to kill rather than feed
microorganisms, you've done more harm than good.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 02-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Mike

I urinate on my pineapple plants regularly, in non phytotoxic amounts.

I was not able to find ammonia in the store, even after asking for it. I
saw bleach and other anti fungal bathroom measures, but no ammonia. This
may have something to do with the post Murray Federal Bldg era. Probably
not such a good idea any ways.

I've read warnings not to mix ammonia and vinegar.

Manure and alfalfa would have to be cut into the soil before planting. Or I
suppose you could make manure tea by putting it in hosiery and soaking in
water.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Vox Humana

"Mike" wrote in message
I urinate on my pineapple plants regularly, in non phytotoxic amounts.

I was not able to find ammonia in the store, even after asking for it. I
saw bleach and other anti fungal bathroom measures, but no ammonia. This
may have something to do with the post Murray Federal Bldg era. Probably
not such a good idea any ways.

I've read warnings not to mix ammonia and vinegar.

Manure and alfalfa would have to be cut into the soil before planting. Or

suppose you could make manure tea by putting it in hosiery and soaking in
water.

It is unimaginable that a grocery store of any size would not carry ammonia.
You can get it in several brands where I shop, starting around $1.69 a
gallon. I also don't think that liquid ammonia has anything to do with
making explosives. You can do that with generic, inorganic fertilizer that
is also available at every Wal-Mart and feed store across America. I use a
mixture of ammonia, alcohol, and vinegar to clean my floors. There is no
danger in mixing ammonia with vinegar.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Roy

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:09:11 -1000, "Mike"
wrote:

===I urinate on my pineapple plants regularly, in non phytotoxic amounts.
===
===I was not able to find ammonia in the store, even after asking for it. I
===saw bleach and other anti fungal bathroom measures, but no ammonia. This
===may have something to do with the post Murray Federal Bldg era. Probably
===not such a good idea any ways.
===
===I've read warnings not to mix ammonia and vinegar.
===
===Manure and alfalfa would have to be cut into the soil before planting. Or I
===suppose you could make manure tea by putting it in hosiery and soaking in
===water.
===

Highly unlikely that store bought liquid ammonia (detergent type)
would serve any purpose that could be construed to make an explosive
dievice..........however mixed with bleach or a chlorine based
cleanser it will emit a deady gas and it has been know to kill a few
housewifes over the eyars when they decided to make a stonger toilet
bowl cleaner.......There are many forms of ammonia and in many forms.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:45 AM
paghat

In article , "Mike"
wrote:

I've read warnings not to mix ammonia and vinegar.

That would be bleach & ammonia; the combination releases chlorine gas.
Ammonia & vinegar is no more dangerous than ammonia by itself. Ammonia &
vinegar is a very reasonable mix for household cleaning purposes. They're
caustic enough when used separately, but together the resulting gas can
kill. I've serious doubts about any of it being good for its nitrogen
value in gardens, since what doesn't evaporate before it is utilized by
plants gets rinsed out by rainfall before utilized by plants.

Manure and alfalfa would have to be cut into the soil before planting. Or I
suppose you could make manure tea by putting it in hosiery and soaking in
water.

Alfalfa needs only to be worked into the soil to a quarter of an inch or
so, or have a little soil scratched up to mix with it, enough to keep it
from sitting on the surface as a sterile topcoat that by itself interacts
too little with the soil. The purpose isn't to increase organic component
of the deeper soil, but to excite microorganisms which produce nitrogen.
Rose fanatics do this five or six times a year without disrupting roots &
it works dandy. Manure composts or natural leafmold will excite
microorganisms quite deep into the soil just be being kept moist on the
surface, thanks to the slower rinse-through & do the line of contact
between soil & topcoat, though if laid on thick with no soil mixed in with
a pure manure compost, it will be sterile on the very top (with the effect
of retarding weeds, but also retarding wanted sewn seeds).

Seriously bad soil with insufficient organic matter would need churning
with pete or compost, & no amount of fertilizing or topcoating can fix it
without increasing the deeper organic content. But surface coats of
compost or leafmold do excite worm movement & microorganisms' nitrogen
production. If it were otherwise, then forests would live decades rather
than millenia, big trees instantly depleting the deeper soil & getting
nothing back but some birdshit & leafmold & rotting logs on the surface,
with no giant people with giant spades to work it down.

Jerry Baker Sir Topham Hat Gardening 15 13-05-2005 05:12 AM
Jerry Baker quackery or true Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 22-09-2003 09:43 PM