Old 04-08-2004, 09:02 PM
David Kotschessa

Default My Tomatoes are red!

My first tomato plants ever (large cherry) which have grown out of their
cage and taken over 4 square foot of my square foot garden (but i'm not
really complaining) are red. They were pinkish a few days ago. How long
till I can pick and eat the little yummy buggers?

Old 04-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Doug Kanter

If the weather stays warm, maybe a day or two. Incidentally, they're a
little tangier when they're just shy of red, which makes them GREAT for
making a fresh tomato sauce. Sautee some garlic & onions very slowly with
olive oil, until they're almost melting. Toss in a little white wine, some
black pepper, some basil or rosemary, and then the halved tomatoes near the
end, for maybe 5 minutes. Serve over linguine with some shrimp or slices of
grilled chicken breast, or tuna. Throw in some green olives with the
tomatoes, if you like them. To die for.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:38 PM
David Kotschessa

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Doug Kanter wrote:

If the weather stays warm, maybe a day or two. Incidentally, they're a
little tangier when they're just shy of red, which makes them GREAT for
making a fresh tomato sauce. Sautee some garlic & onions very slowly with
olive oil, until they're almost melting. Toss in a little white wine, some
black pepper, some basil or rosemary, and then the halved tomatoes near the
end, for maybe 5 minutes. Serve over linguine with some shrimp or slices of
grilled chicken breast, or tuna. Throw in some green olives with the
tomatoes, if you like them. To die for.

soon as I clean the drool off my keyboard. teehee

I just happen to HAVE some angel hair, a prolific basil plant, and shrimp.
The garlic was getting a bit old so I stuck it in the garden. I have an
elephant garlic in there now, wondering if I can use some of the (HUGE)
leaves.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Doug Kanter

Quarter them and sink them in frittata along with some sweet Italian sausage
and a solid later of basil leaves & shredded (not grated) Romano cheese
under the eggs. Slice into pizza-shape pieces. Drool.........

Old 04-08-2004, 10:56 PM
David Kotschessa

I'm afraid it's bad news. They didn't last long enough to be put to use
in any of my cooking. hehe. YUM!

There were only a few..more on the way tho. The plant has lived up to
it's packaging as a "prolific bearer"

Old 04-08-2004, 10:56 PM
David Kotschessa

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Doug Kanter wrote:

Quarter them and sink them in frittata along with some sweet Italian sausage
and a solid later of basil leaves & shredded (not grated) Romano cheese
under the eggs. Slice into pizza-shape pieces. Drool.........

Just when I got that last bit cleaned up!

Old 05-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Allview

My ripe tomatoes are Sweet Chelseas - sweet not tangy. Is there any substitute
for white wine which I don't have in the house. I have some cooked Italian
sausages I could slice up. I can't wait to do it.

Marilyn in Ohio (who just picked 3 Big Boys this week also)

Old 05-08-2004, 03:57 PM
mei

David Kotschessa wrote in message .. .
I'm afraid it's bad news. They didn't last long enough to be put to use
in any of my cooking. hehe. YUM!

There were only a few..more on the way tho. The plant has lived up to
it's packaging as a "prolific bearer"

i still use it in my cooking, hehe... can u explain more about "prolific bearer"...

Old 05-08-2004, 11:01 PM
David Kotschessa

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, mei wrote:

David Kotschessa wrote in message .. .
I'm afraid it's bad news. They didn't last long enough to be put to use
in any of my cooking. hehe. YUM!

There were only a few..more on the way tho. The plant has lived up to
it's packaging as a "prolific bearer"

i still use it in my cooking, hehe... can u explain more about "prolific bearer"...

What I meant was they weren't cookable because I ate them before I got
them to the front door.

Anyway, it said "prolific bearer" on the package. I bought two plants, put
them both in one square of my square foot garden with one tomato cage.
The damn things took over about half the garden (4X4 square foot), and
upturned the tomato cage, and have I don't know how many branches of
tomatoes on them. I have the thing tied down now. Not that I'm really
complaining!

Old 06-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Doug Kanter

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, mei wrote:

David Kotschessa wrote in message

.. .
I'm afraid it's bad news. They didn't last long enough to be put to

use
in any of my cooking. hehe. YUM!

There were only a few..more on the way tho. The plant has lived up to
it's packaging as a "prolific bearer"

i still use it in my cooking, hehe... can u explain more about

"prolific bearer"...

What I meant was they weren't cookable because I ate them before I got
them to the front door.

Anyway, it said "prolific bearer" on the package. I bought two plants, put
them both in one square of my square foot garden with one tomato cage.
The damn things took over about half the garden (4X4 square foot), and
upturned the tomato cage, and have I don't know how many branches of
tomatoes on them. I have the thing tied down now. Not that I'm really
complaining!

I love advertising. Imagine a seed packet with the words "Produces Lousy
Yields". :-)

Old 06-08-2004, 03:26 PM
David Kotschessa

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, mei wrote:

[...]

hehe. Well in this case it was right! Of course I've never had one before
so this could be crap for all I know..