Old 05-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Ken

Default 'Sedona' Coleus hybrid

I recently planted the flowerbox the former tenent of my apartment put out
on the fire escape. One of the plants is (obviously) a 'Sedona' Coleus
Hybrid. Or at least that what was on the plastic tag stuck in the pot with
a picture of the plant on it. It's growing well with the limited light it
gets, and recently one of the plants has put out something that looks a bit
like the top of a stalk of wheat (only green) in two places. Is this the
start of a flower? I was told by the woman at the store it wouldn't flower.
Not that I'm complaining. I can't find anything about this on the web, so I
thought I'd try here.

Ken

Old 05-08-2004, 10:42 PM
madgardener

yes, it's the flower spike. Pinch it out, so you'll have more branches of
colorful leaves. Coleus flower, which you don't want them to do. They're
grown for the beautiful leaves. To save some for next year, take cuttings
and root them in water thru winter and plant in soil come springtime. If you
let it flower, it will weaken and eventually kill the coleus.
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Vox Humana

"madgardener" wrote in message
yes, it's the flower spike. Pinch it out, so you'll have more branches of
colorful leaves. Coleus flower, which you don't want them to do. They're
grown for the beautiful leaves. To save some for next year, take cuttings
and root them in water thru winter and plant in soil come springtime. If

you
let it flower, it will weaken and eventually kill the coleus.
madgardener

I have let coleus grow into huge plants and let them bloom without killing
them - at least not before the frost gets them. I agree that pinching the
flowers is a good idea if you want them to be tidy. I couldn't recommend it
simply to keep the plant alive. In fact, I find that if you let them flower
and set seeds they will self-sow and return the next year here in zone 6. I
have to pinch them back to keep them from getting too large. I simply take
the cutting and strip off the lower leaves, poke a hole in the soil with my
finger, and plant them. They nearly always root. I have some in planters
on my deck that I am propagating that way this year.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:50 AM
madgardener

I will try that next time! Thanks Vox!
maddie always willing to try new things.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:59:42 +0000, Vox Humana wrote:

[...]

Agreed! I LOVE coleus, they are SUPER EASY to start from cuttings, I do it
all the time. I plop them in moist potting soil and typically in 2-3 weeks
if they are still rigid they most likely took root.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Vox Humana

"Tom Randy" wrote in message
news
[...]

At first they tend to wilt for me because I just stick them in garden soil,
but they nearly always survive and grow.