Old 06-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Natty_Dread

Default Questions about Joseph's Coat rose

I planted an established Joseph's Coat rose a couple of months ago and it
has
more than doubled in height since I put it in the ground. I'm at the point
of needing a trellis, but before I get one I have a question about training
it to grow along a chain link fence that sits about 18 or so inches behind
the bush. Is that too far from the plant to use as a trellis? Will bending
the canes backward toward the fence do any significant damage, or should I
just buy a regular lateral trellis and stake it right behind the plant?

Also, this specimen has been quite a prolific bloomer since I planted it and
pruning has encouraged multiple buds, but to me the blooms seem small --
they're no more than about three or four inches in diameter. Is that normal
for a Joseph's Coat? Are there any particular strategies or feeding
products I can use to encourage larger blooms?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA, USA
Zone 7

******************
Each of us, a cell of awareness
imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends with uncertain ends
on a fortune-hunt that's far too fleet

Old 06-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Sunflower

"Natty_Dread" wrote in message
.. .
I planted an established Joseph's Coat rose a couple of months ago and it
has
more than doubled in height since I put it in the ground. I'm at the

point
of needing a trellis, but before I get one I have a question about

training
it to grow along a chain link fence that sits about 18 or so inches behind
the bush. Is that too far from the plant to use as a trellis? Will

bending
the canes backward toward the fence do any significant damage, or should I
just buy a regular lateral trellis and stake it right behind the plant?

18" is not too far away from the support once the rose begins to throw those
really long basal breaks. Right now, you're just dealing with growth from
the secondaries and they shouldn't need too much support. If you find they
flop, then stake them until those long basals are produced which you can
slowly bend back to the support and *tie* (never weave a rose *through* a
fence!) once they get long enough.

Also, this specimen has been quite a prolific bloomer since I planted it

and
pruning has encouraged multiple buds, but to me the blooms seem small --
they're no more than about three or four inches in diameter. Is that

normal
for a Joseph's Coat? Are there any particular strategies or feeding
products I can use to encourage larger blooms?

That's normal for *most* roses. Or even smaller. Hybrid teas are the ones
that have those large blooms, and they grow them at the expense of an
unattractive shrub which usually needs spraying every 7 days to prevent
disease. I'm surprised that JC hasn't already defoliated from black spot
for you as well. It very prone to disease. But, if you can keep the black
spot under control, it is, as you said, a prolific bloomer. Feed it
alfalfa, as that has a growth hormone in it. A couple of cups of alfalfa
meal 3-4 times a year plus some manure and *lots* of water should keep it
from being too hungry.

Old 08-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Natty_Dread

Thanks, Sunflower! I appreciate the info.

Rhonda

"Sunflower" wrote in message

[...]

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Joseph's Coat (Tricolor) & Serissa [email protected] Bonsai 6 01-03-2005 08:17 PM
Has anyone heard of a plant called Joseph's coat? MaryJoL Gardening 23 02-02-2005 06:56 PM
Joseph's Coat LauraEG Roses 8 21-04-2004 03:05 PM
Joseph's Coat Shiva Roses 1 24-06-2003 03:20 AM
Joseph's Coat & Bare Root Roses Shiva Roses 0 27-04-2003 06:32 PM