Old 06-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Zing

Default Morning Glory

Last year I built a raised bed with good soil, primarily for perennials. The
bed has a double trunked maple tree, and I built a twine trellis for Morning
Glories. I've always read that if the soil is rich and moist the plant will
grow like crazy but won't bloom much. I've found that to be true.

For next year, I was thinking of burying a large ceramic pot w/ poor soil
(high clay content) at the base of the trellis. Does anyone think that's a
good idea? If not, I may just go w/ Clematis, as I think it's an ideal site
for that.

I also found that morning Glories like to climb up the vertical parts of the
trellis as opposed to the horizontal parts ( I was going for height) so next
year I'll redo it with that in mind. (is the same true for Clematis?)

Zing

Old 06-08-2004, 10:29 PM
starlord

They also like full sun an very little to no shade at all.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

http://www.cafeshops.com/InGarden

www.starlords.org

Blast Off Cybershop
http://www.cafeshops.com/starlords

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Zing" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 09-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Janet Price

I think they bloom only when they can't go up further. I had trouble
getting them to bloom when they could go up and up and up. I have a
small trellis on my mailbox and they bloom nicely as soon as they reach
the top and fall back. The soil is good soil, not very deep, on top of
rocks and some sand between the rocks.

Janet

Old 10-08-2004, 12:40 PM
dps

Frank LeMond wrote:
FYI Morning Glories bloom all day long when grown in a greenhouse! :_)

I haven't had that experience. They seem to bloom when the air
temperatures are cool. To get them to bloom all day you have to
cross-pollinate them with afternoon glories.