Old 06-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Jim Carlock

Default Mexican squirrels

There is something outside eathing the corn that isn't quite
ready to be picked. I think it's squirrels, but I never catch
the squirrels actually in the corn. I think they're getting it
late at night, but don't know. I see the squirrels running all
over the place during the day but they seem to be really
active first thing in the morning just as the sun is coming up.

I've covered one cob in cayenne pepper and that cob was
100% polished off. The squirrels I am 100% sure came
over from Mexico across the Gulf of Mexico. :-(

I've read that birds could be eating the corn, because the
cayenne pepper does nothing to protect against birds. Two
little poodles do nothing and niether do the family cats. I've
even thrown certain half-eaten cobs into another area and
covered them with cayenne pepper. The squirrels seem to
love cayenne pepper.

Is there anything else that I might try ?

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Iris Cohen

There is something outside eathing the corn that isn't quite ready to be
picked.

Are you sure they aren't raccoons?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 06-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Johnson

"Jim Carlock" wrote

I've covered one cob in cayenne pepper and that cob was
100% polished off. The squirrels I am 100% sure came
over from Mexico across the Gulf of Mexico. :-(

Is there anything else that I might try ?

Report them to Immigration.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Wil

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Deer love corn too. Do you have deer in you neighborhood. Look for deer
tracks in the rows of corn. Unfortunately there isn't any fool proof method
of stopping them except if you harvest the venison for the freezer.

Deer tracks
http://www.whitetails.com/tracks.html

Deer controls
http://www.deerbusters.com/

Repellent
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/dee...repellents.htm

wil

Old 07-08-2004, 01:39 AM
Mitch Cumstein

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:21:56 +0000, Johnson wrote:

"Jim Carlock" wrote

I've covered one cob in cayenne pepper and that cob was
100% polished off. The squirrels I am 100% sure came
over from Mexico across the Gulf of Mexico. :-(

Is there anything else that I might try ?

Report them to Immigration.

Try luring them with hubcaps.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:16 AM
J. Carlson

"Mitch Cumstein" wrote
Try luring them with hubcaps.

Then smack em in the head with a Chalupa.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Jim Carlock

There are no raccoons around. The city of St. Petersburg
outlaws them in the city because if they're out there, they're
90% likely to be rabid I'm told.

It might be birds... I've never caught them. We do have some
wild foxes reported and I think I saw one a couple months
ago, but it ran by so quickly down the alley, and I don't think
a fox would be able to get over the fence, and the poodles
would definitely hear anything jumping over the fence and
would go nuts. They go nuts when a quiet car goes by.
There are a ton of squirrels and birds out but I never see
anything eating it. And the squirrels are alittle friendly if you
look like you have food in your hand, the neighbor feeds
the squirrels.. we find peanut shells all over the place. And
the size of the animal is heavy enough... and there are some
good sized fat Mexican squirrels out there... I'm sure they're
Mexican... :-) It's driving me nuts!

I am 90% sure that it's not raccoons. I've never seen a raccoon
here. But what do I know ? I haven't seen or caught the critter
that is eating the corn. I'm assuming it's squirrels because they
can climb pretty well and it looks like one jumped from a nearby
tree onto a corn stalk and broke the top of the stalk in half. The
stalk was just over 7 feet high, and it's now 3.5 feet high, so it
really looks like something jumped onto the top of the stalk,
broke it and then walked back over and climbed up another
stalk. :-) Dern squirrels that like cayenne peppers, came
fresh over on a boat from Mexico, green papers in paw.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Bill R

Iris Cohen wrote:
There is something outside eathing the corn that isn't quite ready to be
picked.

Are you sure they aren't raccoons?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

While we were down in Mexico we saw, what we thought were
squirrels, outside our hotel window in the trees. It turned
out that they were RATS, really big rats, that could climb
trees (they were trying to get the giant cockroaches).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 07-08-2004, 03:00 PM
madgardener

I don't think what you have is Mexican Squirrels.......it sounds more like
coon asses..............Cajun Squirrels ;^P, seriously, raccoons are
devistating to ripe corn. Raccoons WASH OFF THEIR FOOD
FIRST..................So if something is eating your corn despite the layer
of cayanne pepper powder, then what you has is some Acadian squirrels from
around the bayou area with a love of gumbo.................
madgardener (Mexican squirrels would insist on raiding your tomato/chili's
patch to make salsa..........................g)

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
. ..

Old 07-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Jim Carlock

I'm going to hang put some automatic shocks on the orange
tree and maybe a sombrero too... I left a radio out that played
country music, but that didn't seem to do anything. Maybe if I
put the radio in the alley and tune it into some Korn "Low Rider"
music ?

There are no deer. And there used to be rats in the area, but
we've not seen any rats in a very very long time and the oranges
are still on the orange tree getting ready to turn orange. And yes
they were tree climbing rats. They loved to eat oranges and
grapefruit. We haven't seen those in ages... thought we killed
them all.

I did find a green card, I wasn't able to read the information on
it, it looked like squirrel-ese. It had a couple scratches on it, a
couple stick figure looking things, some fuzzy looking heads, a
fat kernel and a sombrero.

I took it to the immigration office and they said it was a legitimate
green card and that they are legalized to harvest corn...

:-(

It might be birds. I woke up at six in the morning to see if I could
catch them. Daylight didn't start to make it's way around until 6:45.

There were squirrels all over the place. Birds everywhere watching
things. The neighbor feeds the squirrels... I grabbed the bottle of
cayenne pepper and sprinkled it on a half-eaten corn. A squirrel
started to approach... but it stopped on a branch about 10 feet away.

It was grinning, staring at the bottle of cayenne pepper in my
hand. :-( It held up a Mexican flag and flirted with me, by wiggling it's
tail in the air.

I went in the house and put some kibbles and bits out there, and it
started doing the salsa...

Smart salsa shaking squirrels... I'm going to put a hangman's noose
out on the corn tonight.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

"J. Carlson" typed:

"Mitch Cumstein" wrote

Old 08-08-2004, 03:08 AM
madgardener

Jim, what kinda drugs you on honey? you need to take a break and just relax.
Maybe make yerself a margarita, send out for some enchilada's, take in a
movie..........I hear Pancho Villa starring himself with Antonio Banderis is
excellent...............
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect." Chief Seattle
m...

Old 08-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Christopher Green

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:05:55 GMT, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

There are no raccoons around. The city of St. Petersburg
outlaws them in the city because if they're out there, they're
90% likely to be rabid I'm told.

Just because they're outlawed don't mean they're not there. Last one I
checked with didn't seem to care much about reading law books.

Unless St. Pete has a vector control program of the most exceptional
diligence, dollars to donuts there are raccoons there. There are in
just about every mild-climate city in the US. They adapt really well
to suburbs and are thought to be more abundant now than they ever
were.

--
Chris Green

Old 08-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Jim Carlock

I hear ya. I've left a bottle of beer out there. I've seen coon
go for beer in the past. The bottle was still out there the next
day. Not even touched. What coon would pass up on such
an offer.

The news reported that some foxes were re-introduced into
Tampa (across the bay) and they were reporting that the foxes
were eating people's cats and dogs and if a fox was seen, to
report it to animal control.

We've been getting some good rain everyday so the cayenne
pepper washed off. Used up a whole bottle of that stuff on the
corn plants. I've made a scare-uhh-crow and am hoping that
will work. We've got a couple poodles that bark at any noise
outside... they go nuts and I've never seen a coon out here.

From what I know in the past when I last saw a coon, it was
at a campground and it happened to open up a cooler and
grab a bottle of beer out of the cooler. I was a teenager when
that happened and dem coons are smart. The one that stole
the beer walked around with a degree that stated B.S. which
I assumed meant, "Beer Snatch". ;-)

In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for some coons. There
anything that would attract a coon that squirrels wouldn't bother
with ? I'm sure if there are coons around, they'd be smart
enough to walk into the house through the doggy door. And
the cats would probably through a fit if they saw a coon in the
house, as would the poodles.

Old 09-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Christopher Green

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:51:28 GMT, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:
[snip]
In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for some coons. There
anything that would attract a coon that squirrels wouldn't bother
with ? I'm sure if there are coons around, they'd be smart
enough to walk into the house through the doggy door. And
the cats would probably through a fit if they saw a coon in the

We have a fig tree, and the local raccoons are masters at figuring out
when the figs are ripe and raiding the tree just before I think the
figs are ready to pick. Our dog goes bananas when they come around.
One time she treed a whole family of them; we brought her inside
because we didn't want her finding out what kind of fighters they are.

Because raccoons are quite a bit bigger than housecats and very
dexterous, they will take things that squirrels, rabbits, or rats
wouldn't bother with or would just nibble on and leave there.

--
Chris Green