Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Ted Shoemaker

Default How to persuade fuchsia to grow better?

Hello,

I have a fuchsia (the tag says "Fuchsia Diva pink/purple") in a hanging
pot in semi-shade. The potting soil is Miracle-Gro. I have been
following what directions I know about growing fuchsias. (I.e.: Keep
the soil moist.)

My question is: How can I persuade this plant to grow better? It's
still short and wimpy. If it's too late this year, at least I can know
what to do better next year.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin, USA, in zone 4 or 5. I have no
greenhouse. So we're talking about fuchsia as an annual.

I am not a skilled gardener. If all farmers had my knack with plants,
the world would starve. All advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker

Old 07-08-2004, 08:45 AM
gregpresley

Don't give up on your fuchsia during the winter. I live in a zone 5/6
climate, and I overwinter mine in an unheated attached garage. (The
temperature inside it on cold winter days is probably just around freezing
to perhaps 35.) After your first few heavy frosts, the fuchsiia will go
dormant and should drop most of its leaves. At that point, you can cut it
back and bring the pot into the garage, root cellar, or whatever other quite
cool but not frozen area that you have. Keep the soil just barely moist
over winter, not waterlogged. The fuchsia is dormant and doesn't need to be
in light during this period. Starting in late March, you can bring the
fuchsia into a warmer environment, with some sunlight, and add a little
water. It will leaf out, and you can start bringing it out in mid- late
April, although it should come back inside when frost is predicted.
It occurs to me that you might not have the fuchsia in a pot. I think
fuchsias are harder to take care of in the ground, because while they need a
lot of moisture, they also need a lot of air in the soil - a tight wet clay
soil would make them very unhappy.