Old 08-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Sarah D.

Default ID Mystery Plant

A flower I've never seen before decided to sprout in a shady area that
happens to be below my bird feeders. I have no idea if it's from a
bulb that I just never knew was there, or was somehow "planted" by the
birds. I'm suspecting it's a bulb plant because it looks similar to a
lily. It's on a single smooth stalk about 2 feet tall; no discernable
leaves, topped with multiple pale pink, lily-like flowers with yellow
stamens and a sweet fragrance. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 08-08-2004, 02:44 AM
Wil

..
"Sarah D." wrote in message
om...
A flower I've never seen before decided to sprout in a shady area that
happens to be below my bird feeders. I have no idea if it's from a
bulb that I just never knew was there, or was somehow "planted" by the
birds. I'm suspecting it's a bulb plant because it looks similar to a
lily. It's on a single smooth stalk about 2 feet tall; no discernable
leaves, topped with multiple pale pink, lily-like flowers with yellow
stamens and a sweet fragrance. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I suspect you are asking about a Resurrection Lily, also nicknamed, "Naked
Lady". They seem to just appear around here. I wonder if birds drop the
seed.

Here is a link to a picture of one.
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...ng&ItemId=7918

Or if that doesn't work try this link
http://shorterlink.com/?W9C415

Wil

Old 08-08-2004, 03:12 AM
Cereus-validus

It would be impossible for a bird to drop seeds of Lycoris because:

1. the mature fruit is a dry dehiscent capsule not a berry which would have
been eaten by a bird.

2. Lycoris squamigera is a sterile triploid incapable of setting fruit.

The bulbs must have been there for a long time but since the flowers and
foliage appear at different times of the year, she didn't make the
connection between the two.

"Wil" wrote in message
.
om...

Old 08-08-2004, 03:50 AM
B & J

"Sarah D." wrote in message
om...
A flower I've never seen before decided to sprout in a shady area that
happens to be below my bird feeders. I have no idea if it's from a
bulb that I just never knew was there, or was somehow "planted" by the
birds. I'm suspecting it's a bulb plant because it looks similar to a
lily. It's on a single smooth stalk about 2 feet tall; no discernable
leaves, topped with multiple pale pink, lily-like flowers with yellow
stamens and a sweet fragrance. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

It sounds as if you have lycoris squamigera (a.k.a. resurrection lily, naked
lady, etc.).It's featured on p. 24 of the Park's Advance Bulb Sale 2004..

Here's a site with a picture and description:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/l/lyco_squ.cfm

John

Old 08-08-2004, 09:13 AM
gregpresley

It is possible however that a squirrel dug up the bulb from one location and
buried it in another, planning to come back later to snack on it - then
forgetting where - or getting run over by a car in the meantime. Normally
the bulb takes a year or two to settle into a new site and set blooms -
usually the first year or two it only sends up foliage in the late
winter,early spring, which dies down by mid summer.
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
It would be impossible for a bird to drop seeds of Lycoris because:

1. the mature fruit is a dry dehiscent capsule not a berry which would

have
been eaten by a bird.

2. Lycoris squamigera is a sterile triploid incapable of setting fruit.

The bulbs must have been there for a long time but since the flowers and
foliage appear at different times of the year, she didn't make the
connection between the two.

"Wil" wrote in message
.
"Sarah D." wrote in message
om...
A flower I've never seen before decided to sprout in a shady area that
happens to be below my bird feeders. I have no idea if it's from a
bulb that I just never knew was there, or was somehow "planted" by the
birds. I'm suspecting it's a bulb plant because it looks similar to a
lily. It's on a single smooth stalk about 2 feet tall; no discernable
leaves, topped with multiple pale pink, lily-like flowers with yellow
stamens and a sweet fragrance. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I suspect you are asking about a Resurrection Lily, also nicknamed,

"Naked
Lady". They seem to just appear around here. I wonder if birds drop the
seed.

Here is a link to a picture of one.

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...atalogDisplay?
storeId=10151&catalogId=10067&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=7918

Old 08-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Cereus-validus

More likely it was planted they by mischievous garden pixies!!!

Believe it or not, squirrels do not remember where they bury most things.
They don't have any sort of master plan or remarkable memory.

"gregpresley" wrote in message
[...]

"Wil" wrote in message
.
om...

Old 08-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Sarah D.

"Wil" wrote in message ...
.
"Sarah D." wrote in message
om...
A flower I've never seen before decided to sprout in a shady area that
happens to be below my bird feeders. I have no idea if it's from a
bulb that I just never knew was there, or was somehow "planted" by the
birds. I'm suspecting it's a bulb plant because it looks similar to a
lily. It's on a single smooth stalk about 2 feet tall; no discernable
leaves, topped with multiple pale pink, lily-like flowers with yellow
stamens and a sweet fragrance. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I suspect you are asking about a Resurrection Lily, also nicknamed, "Naked
Lady". They seem to just appear around here. I wonder if birds drop the
seed.

Here is a link to a picture of one.
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...ng&ItemId=7918

Or if that doesn't work try this link
http://shorterlink.com/?W9C415

That's exactly what it is! Thanks! (the Amaryllis family came to
mind because there were no leaves on the stalk.) Now that I recall,
there was some previous foliage in that area that I thought may have
been a daylily. Perhaps this plant had been there for years, but it
seems the squirrels in this area love knocking the taller, colorful
flowers down, and I never "caught" the bloom phase until now.