Old 03-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Al and Lori

Default Raspberry problem

Can someone tell me why my raspberries which were half developed just dried
up? The berries and stems turned brown in so many bunches but other bunches
were fine. It's got me stumped. I have a timer on the sprinkler for each
night.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Al and Lori said:

Can someone tell me why my raspberries which were half developed just dried
up? The berries and stems turned brown in so many bunches but other bunches
were fine. It's got me stumped. I have a timer on the sprinkler for each
night.

Is it only the fruiting canes that were affected, or are the new canes (primocanes)
also browning?

If it is only the fruiting canes, they could have been injured last fall or winter
in various ways (tree crickets laying eggs in the canes is one of the stranger
injuries I've seen).

If the new canes are also dying, it could be verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot,
or crown gall.

Here's a raspberry diagnostic page (watch for line wrap):

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/departme...rry/raspeberry
parts.htm

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Beecrofter

"Al and Lori" wrote in message ...
Can someone tell me why my raspberries which were half developed just dried
up? The berries and stems turned brown in so many bunches but other bunches
were fine. It's got me stumped. I have a timer on the sprinkler for each
night.

Wet overnight? you killed them with kindness.
Water the soil not the foliage and do it in the morning so things dry
during the day. When we get a few days rain during the middle of
fruiting the same thing happens. Mulch to keep the soil from
splashing, prune to allow good airflow, plant with good air drainage
like roses , and remove spent canes.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:27 PM
charles ufford

Al and Lori wrote:
Can someone tell me why my raspberries which were half developed just dried
up? The berries and stems turned brown in so many bunches but other bunches
were fine. It's got me stumped. I have a timer on the sprinkler for each
night.

Hello,
If the stem ends look withered as if burnt by fire, it could be fire blight which can
attack some plants, often flowering cherries and things like that. One trigger is wet
foliage at night. Wet seasons can see alot of fire blight. If you have your timer to go on
in the middle of the night, set it for early morning just before the sun comes up, that
way the foliage will dry off quickly, or have the water directed at the roots. I'm not
sure how to combat fire blight other than that. Also other diseases that will 'burn' the
ends. Also look just underneath the spot where the branch dried up to see if there is a
small hole that a borer worm made into the stem. Also if you break that stem above that
hole the stem may be hollow and a worm inside.
charles

--
Charles Ufford
Calen the Border Collie CGC - now in Heaven