Old 08-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Mark Bornfeld

Default Privacy Screen

I am landscaping our backyard, and have received conflicting advice
regarding what plantings would make a good year-round privacy screen. We
are in Brooklyn, NY, USDA zone 7, and there is partial shade in the area
we need to plant. It had been suggested to us that we plant a row of
Emerald Green Arborvitae, that this would grow quickly, is relatively
inexpensive, and will tolerate the temperature range and shade in the
projected area it will be located. Another source suggested that
arborvitae in general and this cultivar in particular tends to send up
multiple leaders, grows laterally, and tends to fare poorly in high
winds and heavy snow. Alternatives mentioned include Peobody Arborvitae,
Golden Arborvitae, and (most recommended) Leyland Cypress.

I realize that economizing now may prove to be more costly in the
future. Does anyone have any comments on the above information, or have
any other suggestions that would fit my needs?

Thanks in advance...

Mark
--
Remove "mung" from email address to reply
Old 09-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Mark Bornfeld" wrote in message
news
[...]

It is true that arborvitae can suffer from heavy snowloads - winds are less
of a problem. Unfortunately it is the same aspect that makes them an
excellent narrow, evergreen screen - multiple leaders, an ascending branch
structure and dense foliage - that leads to winter damage from heavy snow or
ice loads. It can be a little time consuming and awkward when the trees get
larger, but you can very simply bind them with fishing line or strong twine
in late fall to prevent winter damage.

Emerald Green (aka Smaragd) is the most popular arb sold and for very good
reason,. It is hardy, tolerant of a range of growing conditions, will only
reach 15' and has a very lush and dense dark green foliage. But it doesn't
grow very fast. For very satisfactory privacy screening, I'd suggest you buy
the largest you can afford. 'Green Giant' is a hybrid and a very fast and
large growing arborvitae. It may not be suitable where space is an issue or
if you wish the height to remain fixed. Leyland cypress are also extremely
fast growing and have the potential for being a very large tree after not
too long a period of time. They also experience some severe fungal and
insect problems through many parts of the east. Where space permits and
their health is better, they make a great natural screen, but are not
suitable hedging material - it's just silly to attempt to keep something
that wants to reach 60" plus at the rate of 3-6' a year to a hedge height of
8-10 or even 15 feet.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

Absolute fastest Growing hedge plant for tall privacy screen???? joe Gardening 8 01-03-2006 06:22 PM
Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Gardening 8 10-04-2005 04:43 AM
Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Ponds 8 10-04-2005 04:43 AM
Conifers as privacy screen Ron Blocher Lawns 0 20-07-2003 03:53 AM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 04:56 AM