Old 09-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Ann

Default Please help ID this plant

"Jing Luo" expounded:

I got this plant from a friend but I don't know its name. If possible,
please also tell me whether it can survive outdoor in winter (I live in
Ohio). Thanks.

First off, this is a text only newsgroup, please post your pictures
over in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

It's some kind of hibiscus, and no, it won't survive the winter
outdoors in Ohio.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 09-08-2004, 01:59 AM
Cindy

Looks like a Hibiscus flower!

Old 09-08-2004, 02:50 AM
Wil

"Ann" wrote in message
"Jing Luo" expounded:

I got this plant from a friend but I don't know its name. If possible,
please also tell me whether it can survive outdoor in winter (I live in
Ohio). Thanks.

First off, this is a text only newsgroup, please post your pictures
over in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

It's some kind of hibiscus, and no, it won't survive the winter
outdoors in Ohio.
--

I can't see the picture in question but there are hardy hibiscus that I grow
here in Northern Ohio, zone 5. There is a picture of a pink hardy hibiscus

wil

Old 09-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Jing Luo" wrote in message
I got this plant from a friend but I don't know its name. If possible,
please also tell me whether it can survive outdoor in winter (I live in
Ohio). Thanks.

It is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Cooperi', a tropical plant typically grown as
a houseplant or summer container plant in colder climates. Not winter hardy
in zones lower than 10.

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week104.shtml

pam - gardengal

Old 09-08-2004, 10:39 AM
H Hornblower

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 20:40:01 -0400, Ann wrote:

"Jing Luo" expounded:

I got this plant from a friend but I don't know its name. If possible,
please also tell me whether it can survive outdoor in winter (I live in
Ohio). Thanks.

First off, this is a text only newsgroup, please post your pictures
over in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

Why is it to anyone's advantage to ban pictures from the newsgroup? If
the message looks too big for your connection speed don't look at it.
Pictures can be very informative.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Ann

H Hornblower expounded:

Why is it to anyone's advantage to ban pictures from the newsgroup? If
the message looks too big for your connection speed don't look at it.
Pictures can be very informative.

My connection is fine, but others aren't. I didn't make the rules,
the Usenet community did long ago. This debate has gone on and on.

In a text-only group, if too many people start posting binaries,
newsmasters will drop the group because of spool size. The binary
hierachy is where pictures are supposed to go. It's called
netiquette. Be aware not everyone has a big fat pipe access to the
internet.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 09-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Wil

"H Hornblower" wrote in message
Why is it to anyone's advantage to ban pictures from the newsgroup? If
the message looks too big for your connection speed don't look at it.
Pictures can be very informative.
It's some kind of hibiscus, and no, it won't survive the winter
outdoors in Ohio.

One reason to ban pictures is the amount of band width it uses on the server
and on member connection. Another reason is that HTML newsgroups are not as
safe for the average news member as is a text only newsgroup. If images can
be posted in an HTML newsgroup, it can also spread viruses and other
Internet nasties. HTML news messages with attachments and script code that
can run just by reading it is the same danger as email that can carry
Internet worms and viruses.

Wil

Old 09-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Ann Knight

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:39:36 UTC, H Hornblower wrote:

Why is it to anyone's advantage to ban pictures from the newsgroup?

I don't have to download something that may be a potential virus, or
off-topic spam. My ISP's newsadmin won't drop the newsgroup from their
newsfeed because of a misplaced binary post. In short, it's a little
thing called netiquette. There are plenty of binary newsgroups or web
sites or FTP sites where people can post their pics, then post a link
to them here.