Old 09-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Jeff Wisnia

Default What's this "grassy weed" (photo link)

Over the past two or three years some patches of fast growing "grassy
weeds" have shown up here and there on my lawns. After mowing, this
stuff seems to grow two or three times as fast as the turf grasses, and
sticks up noticable in a couple of days.

Photos at:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/weed.html

I'm hoping there's a selective herbicide to let me rid my lawns of this
stuff, which seems to be popping up in more places each year.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
public schools."

Old 09-08-2004, 04:39 AM
Perry Templeton

It has been a major pest for me this year, I've heard it called Nut grass,
or Coco grass. It is awful. I hope you get some replies with some
solutions.
I think ours came here with some sand I had delivered when we built our
house.
I pull that stuff constantly and it never seems like I make a dent.
Perry

Old 09-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Over the past two or three years some patches of fast growing "grassy
weeds" have shown up here and there on my lawns. After mowing, this
stuff seems to grow two or three times as fast as the turf grasses, and
sticks up noticable in a couple of days.

Photos at:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/weed.html

I'm hoping there's a selective herbicide to let me rid my lawns of this
stuff, which seems to be popping up in more places each year.

Looks like nutsedge, a devil to eradicate. Lots of online sites can give
details on how to remove, but this is a particularly good one. Look for a
nutsedge specific herbicide marketed under the tradename 'Manage'.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4010.html

pam - gardengal

Old 09-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Vox Humana

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Over the past two or three years some patches of fast growing "grassy
weeds" have shown up here and there on my lawns. After mowing, this
stuff seems to grow two or three times as fast as the turf grasses, and
sticks up noticable in a couple of days.

Photos at:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/weed.html

I'm hoping there's a selective herbicide to let me rid my lawns of this
stuff, which seems to be popping up in more places each year.

Looks like nutsedge, a devil to eradicate. Lots of online sites can give
details on how to remove, but this is a particularly good one. Look for a
nutsedge specific herbicide marketed under the tradename 'Manage'.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4010.html

This weed has been popping up in my flower beds for the last few years. So
far it hasn't been a problem in the lawn. I just make sure I pull it out
before it sets seeds. I have been able to slowly reduce the amount that
way.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Lar

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:27:06 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Over the past two or three years some patches of fast growing "grassy
weeds" have shown up here and there on my lawns. After mowing, this
stuff seems to grow two or three times as fast as the turf grasses, and
sticks up noticable in a couple of days.

It's nutsedge. In the Dallas area when it is taking over the lawns a
product called Image is recommended. It may be the same active
indgrediant as what is in Manage, I'm not sure. Image is a growth
retardent that works well on nutsedge after a couple of applications.
It will effect the look of the lawn grass, but where the nutsedge dies
out the lawn grass doesn't. Be sure to check with your area nursery
people to see how any product may effect the specific type of lawn
grass you may have.

Lar

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Gloria Lenon

Also called sedge. I keep pulling it up all the time in my flower beds. By
the way, the little nuts at the roots are edible. Native Americans relied
on them for food.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 10-08-2004, 12:56 AM
remove munged

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:18:13 GMT, Lar wrote:

It's nutsedge. In the Dallas area when it is taking over the lawns a
product called Image is recommended. It may be the same active
indgrediant as what is in Manage, I'm not sure. Image is a growth
retardent that works well on nutsedge after a couple of applications.
It will effect the look of the lawn grass, but where the nutsedge dies
out the lawn grass doesn't. Be sure to check with your area nursery
people to see how any product may effect the specific type of lawn
grass you may have.

Lar

If you have purple nutsedge ( deep south) image is definitely your
product.
If you have yellow nutsedge (further north) manage is your product

Neither are a very quick fix and both can produce significant damage
(yellowing) during the hot season. Early spring treatments and fall
before dormancy are less damaging. Unfortunately the "nuts", up to 18"
deep, help this noxious difficult to control weed thrive. Years of
treatments on infested imported soil have still not eliminated the
problem here.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:02 AM
remove munged

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:02:33 GMT, "Gloria Lenon"
wrote:

Also called sedge. I keep pulling it up all the time in my flower beds. By
the way, the little nuts at the roots are edible. Native Americans relied
on them for food.

If it's purple Cyperus rotundus, it is introduced and on numerous
invasive plant lists. It's medicinal use if vastly over rated when
compared to it's agricultural and horticultural costs/damage.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] photo link LYNN BARKER Bonsai 0 27-02-2005 05:22 PM
What's this grassy weed in my lawn? (Photo link) Jeff Wisnia Lawns 8 10-08-2004 07:40 PM
My Brother's Ponds. Link to on line photo album of his ponds. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 14 03-07-2004 04:04 AM
Schoenorchis micrantha (Photo link) Dustin Orchids 5 01-04-2004 07:52 PM
Any one know a link to calculate a weir width for a fall I can't find my link. Mickey Ponds 2 16-08-2003 04:22 PM