Old 09-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Jefffooz

Default Is four hours of sun considered part shade?

The entryway to our house is located on the east, and thus gets sun only from
about 7:30 to 12 pm. I am wondering if this area qualifies as part shade or
shade. I have tried planting tiarella in this area, but they do not seem to
like it all, and promptly turned brown and died. I live in the mountains of
central California, and the summer temperature gets to a high of 98 F with a
low of about 30 F in the winter. I am trying to figure out a planting scheme
for the areas on either side of the entryway.

Jeffery
Old 09-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Jefffooz

Thank you very much for the link and the clarification. I have a better idea
now of what kinds of plants to grow.

Jeffery
Old 10-08-2004, 02:34 AM
escapee

Tiarella is not a good selection for heat in sun of any length. They don't
survive in Texas in full shade.

What you have is called morning sun. I know it can get annoying, but in hot
climates, such as yours, morning sun is usually enough to get most plants into
color. Certainly not some of the more full sun cacti or succulents. But most
plants will come into color under those conditions, in your heat zone.

On 09 Aug 2004 16:27:20 GMT, ojunk (Jefffooz) opined: