Old 09-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Jen in Chicago

Default What are these Big Black wasps?

They're living in harmony with the yellow jackets in the trees right
outside my house. They are twice as long as your average yellowjacket
(you know the kind that flies in your soda can at a picnic?) and all
black with a white face pattern. The first time I saw one I thought
it was a huge june bug, but then upon closer inspection realized it's
a wasp/hornet of some kind.

My other question is I have something eating the leaves of my tiarella
to the ground, but I don't have any Japanese Beetles this year. Any
ideas? No, caterpillars, lots of ants though. I'm near Chicago in
Zone 5.

TIA,
Inattendue
Old 10-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Jen in Chicago

Sue,

You're fantastic! That's exactly what they are. Do you know if they
would share a hive with yellow jackets? I doubt it but the tree in
front of my house is "filled" with both types. I've already told my
DF to be very careful when he goes into the attic next time. I'll
keep you all posted! Thanks for the id!

Jen in Chicago
Old 10-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Vox Humana

"Jen in Chicago" wrote in message
om...
Sue,

You're fantastic! That's exactly what they are. Do you know if they
would share a hive with yellow jackets? I doubt it but the tree in
front of my house is "filled" with both types. I've already told my
DF to be very careful when he goes into the attic next time. I'll
keep you all posted! Thanks for the id!

I have lots of them. They tend to build in protected areas like in inside
corners under the eves. I had some living in an seldom used gas grill.
They seem to be attracted to my cannas where they spend the day scouring the
leaves for insets. I have never had any problems with them being
aggressive.