Old 10-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Vox Humana

Default Murray Self-propelled mower any good?

I need a new lawn mower and decided to get a self-propelled model as I have
a rather hilly yard and I'm not getting any younger. After looking at
dozens of mowers, I have found one that looks like it would meet my needs.
It is on sale for what looks like a good price - $229.00 (was $290). The
problem is that I have never owned a Murray lawn mower, nor have I owned a
self-propelled model. The one I am looking at is a 7 HP, 22 inch, 3-in-1
model with high rear wheels. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. Is this
brand any good? It appears to be a discontinued model because the Murray
website doesn't show a 7 HP self-propelled model. I can get other SP mowers
for around the same price, but they have smaller engines. I would rather
have a variable speed SP mower, but the prices for those is much higher.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Perry Templeton

We got a Snapper and I wouldn't have anything else. It was 600.00, I know
twice what you're considering paying. But it is virtually a lifetime
lawnmower. The other brands don't last too long.
Perry

Old 10-08-2004, 01:52 AM
John Bachman

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:30:44 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

I need a new lawn mower and decided to get a self-propelled model as I have
a rather hilly yard and I'm not getting any younger. After looking at
dozens of mowers, I have found one that looks like it would meet my needs.
It is on sale for what looks like a good price - $229.00 (was $290). The
problem is that I have never owned a Murray lawn mower, nor have I owned a
self-propelled model. The one I am looking at is a 7 HP, 22 inch, 3-in-1
model with high rear wheels. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. Is this
brand any good? It appears to be a discontinued model because the Murray
website doesn't show a 7 HP self-propelled model. I can get other SP mowers
for around the same price, but they have smaller engines. I would rather
have a variable speed SP mower, but the prices for those is much higher.

Murray is crap. That is why it is cheap.

JMHO

John

Old 10-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

I need a new lawn mower and decided to get a self-propelled model as I have
a rather hilly yard and I'm not getting any younger. After looking at
dozens of mowers, I have found one that looks like it would meet my needs.
It is on sale for what looks like a good price - $229.00 (was $290). The
problem is that I have never owned a Murray lawn mower, nor have I owned a
self-propelled model. The one I am looking at is a 7 HP, 22 inch, 3-in-1
model with high rear wheels. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. Is this
brand any good? It appears to be a discontinued model because the Murray
website doesn't show a 7 HP self-propelled model. I can get other SP mowers
for around the same price, but they have smaller engines. I would rather
have a variable speed SP mower, but the prices for those is much higher.

Murray is at the bottom of the list in overall scoring, but still it
is a good mower and repair record is decent. A B&S 7 HP engine will
deliver about the same torque as a 5 HP Honda engine, but the B&S is
noisier. Toro mowers are better built with a Tecumseh engine, but
you'll need at least a hundred more bucks. Expect any mower to last 5
to 8 years, depending on use.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Shreve

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
[...]

You get what you pay for.

I had a John Deere for trimming, sold it to someone I know almost 20 years
ago. They still have it, and it still runs strong. Since then I've been
through a Wards(RIP) high wheel, a Murray, & a Honda Harmony. I purchased
another John Deere, model JS63C about 3 years ago. I sold my rider and cut
1/2 acre with a 21", simply for the excercise. I believe if you looked at
any of the name brands known for yard work, you couldn't go wrong. I was
not pleased with the Honda,Murray, or Wards.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:14 AM
Vox Humana

wrote:

[...]

I am on year 8 of my cheap MTD/Briggs and Stratton mower. I had to put some
money into it last year and now the problem looks like it is returning along
with some rust and other issues. I might keep this one as a back-up and to
mow along the margin of the woods occasionally to keep the brush down but I
know it is time for a new mower.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Vox Humana

"Shreve" wrote in message
news

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
[...]

Was there a problem common to all the less expensive brands or did they each
have their own unique problems?

Old 10-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Romy Beeck

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Shreve" wrote in message
news

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
[...]

I still think you get what you pay for. Honda and john Deer are most likly

the best out there if you want to spend $600. Murray is very low in price. I
bought a self-propelled White lawn mower for $429 six years ago and stll
runs great and cuts great. I always try to go to the mid priced thing that i
buy and been always happy. Good luck in what you buy.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Ron Hardin

Shreve wrote:
another John Deere, model JS63C about 3 years ago. I sold my rider and cut
1/2 acre with a 21", simply for the excercise. I believe if you looked at
any of the name brands known for yard work, you couldn't go wrong. I was

At a half acre, consider a push reel mower, as long as you cut often enough
to keep the grass short. They're lighter than a power mower and _as easy to
push_. You don't have the noise. The American Lawnmower Company 18" is
fine; Scotts 20" (made by same people) is faster, if you get one with a
straight cutter bar anyway.

However you need access to a power mower if you get into grass-too-long trouble
from time to time. Also they don't do dandelions unless short.

If you have to mow because of patches of fast-growing grass where the rest of
the lawn doesn't need it, a European scythe ( http://www.scythesupply.com )
is pleasant to use, though everything you need will run $160 after snath, jig
and sharpening stone. You can cut an acre with it over a period of days, if you
want to just get out of the house occasionally. It leaves trails of cut grass
though. A perfect solution would be a mulching scythe.
--
Ron Hardin

Old 10-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Lar

wrote:

I need a new lawn mower and decided to get a self-propelled model as I have
a rather hilly yard and I'm not getting any younger. After looking at
dozens of mowers, I have found one that looks like it would meet my needs.
It is on sale for what looks like a good price - $229.00 (was $290). The
problem is that I have never owned a Murray lawn mower, nor have I owned a
self-propelled model. The one I am looking at is a 7 HP, 22 inch, 3-in-1
model with high rear wheels. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. Is this
brand any good? It appears to be a discontinued model because the Murray
website doesn't show a 7 HP self-propelled model. I can get other SP mowers
for around the same price, but they have smaller engines. I would rather
have a variable speed SP mower, but the prices for those is much higher.

I recently gave my 2 year old SP Murray away and picked up a Torro
variable speed SP. The price wasn't all that much higher. The
problem you will have with the Murray is that it will be more of a
workout trying to walk slow enough to mow the grass. The variable
speed allows you to work at your pace rather than the slow setting of
the Murray.

Lar

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.