Old 11-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Joi

Default Pumpkin growing question

Hi,

I've had to prune back some of my pumpkin plant and am using the pruned
sections as cuttings. At the moment I have 3 cuttings in water and two in
pots. All have male and/or female flowers on them and are growing pretty
well.
Today I looked at the flowers on the cuttings and started wondering if I
could grow a pumpkin indoors from them. Has anyone tried this, and if so did
it work?
I'm planning to keep some cuttings growing over winter for use in the garden
next summer. Will the cuttings I make from the cuttings* keep growing
flowers over winter?
I have this rather interesting idea that I could just keep growing pumpkins
all winter. If it's possible.

*From what I've read (which isn't much) of pumpkin cloning you let a plant
get long enough to make another clone, then let the previous clone die. That
way you keep the plant alive over winter but at a manageable size.

Garden journal: http://bgardening.blogspot.com/

Old 11-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Doug Kanter

If you could keep up with their need for sun and enormous amounts of rich
nutrients, I suppose you could grow them. But, nothing is really gained,
other than having an interesting ornamental vine indoors. If you have the
ability to give them tons of sun indoors, I can think of lots of other
sun-loving ornamentals that'll be more pleasing in the dreary winter months.

. ..