Old 11-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Eb

Default Weed Trimmers and Metal Blades

I have a metal blade for my weed trimmer that probably has 30 teeth,
it does great on large stuff, but I don't like the way it cuts on
stuff like waist high grass.

What blade design works good on tall grass. I've seen triangle shapes,
4 point star shapes, round blades with 3, 4 or 5 humped cutting edges?

Old 11-08-2004, 07:37 PM
zxcvbob

Eb wrote:
I have a metal blade for my weed trimmer that probably has 30 teeth,
it does great on large stuff, but I don't like the way it cuts on
stuff like waist high grass.

What blade design works good on tall grass. I've seen triangle shapes,
4 point star shapes, round blades with 3, 4 or 5 humped cutting edges?

A round blade with 6 or 8 little teeth sticking out that can be
sharpened like knives (it's called a weed cutting blade.) I've also
adapted a small lawnmower blade for my trimmer and it works well if I
keep it sharp.

The blade you have is for cutting brush and saplings.

Bob
Old 11-08-2004, 08:18 PM
John McGaw

"Eb" wrote in message
I have a metal blade for my weed trimmer that probably has 30 teeth,
it does great on large stuff, but I don't like the way it cuts on
stuff like waist high grass.

What blade design works good on tall grass. I've seen triangle shapes,
4 point star shapes, round blades with 3, 4 or 5 humped cutting edges?

I use a steel blade with IIRC 5 teeth on my Stihl FS-85 and it does a fine
job on small brush (up to maybe pinkie-sized trunkds) as well as grass and
softer weeds. It is easily resharpenable using a flat file. When the time
comes for whacking down slightly larger brush I switch to a Ryobi
reciprocating saw head which I adapted to the Stihl and it works fine for
stuff up to a couple of inches across. At that point I switch to a chainsaw
and easily whack down anything up to 24" across as long as it isn't in a
location to fall on anything important if I make a mistake. In the latter
cases I call a pro.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]