Old 11-08-2004, 09:00 PM
davew

Default Boundry fencing- which way round should the panels be?

What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

Answers on a post card please (or my email address)

Regards

Davew
Old 11-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Vox Humana

"davew" wrote in message
om...
What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

Answers on a post card please (or my email address)

Since it is your fence you can do what you want. Obviously your neighbor
isn't going to be happy if you put the ugly side towards him. You have to
ask yourself if that is important to you. I would probably find a fence
that looked good on both sides That seems like a win-sin situation.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Warren

davew wrote:
What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

When I was growing up, the "pretty" side always faced outward. That
would mean facing the neighbors. It's only recently that I've seen
exceptions to that convention.

Here's the thing. If I put up a fence, and turn the ugly side towards
the neighbors, they either have to look at the ugly side, or go through
the expense to screen it. If putting up the fence was my idea, then the
right thing would be for me to give them the side that doesn't need
screening. I can then screen my side of the fence.

I've also seen more fences that don't have "pretty" sides. The "good
neighbor" 6' cedar fence, with vertical slats alternating from one side
to the other is a really popular one. Horizontal slats basket-weaved
around spaces between posts is a nice one, too.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgarden/index.html

Old 12-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Nick Gray

"davew" wrote in message
om...
What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

Answers on a post card please (or my email address)

Regards

Davew

Hi Dave,

AFAIK there is nothing in UK law that states which way round a fence should
face, the normal convention is that you put the good face towards your
neighbour. However check your deeds as you may find that the boundary
belongs to your neighbour, and they 'might' put up a fence with the good
side facing you.

Bear in mind that if you are concreting the posts in, you may have to come
back from the boundary line, so you can dig the footings on your property.

Having said that, I'd suggest erecting a fence that looks good from both
sides, post and rail, standard lapped panels, interlap panels, trellis
panels or plastic coated chain link. Both Jewson
http://www.jewsonlandscaping.co.uk/index.html and B&Q http://www.diy.com
have brochures on fencing so you can show your neighbour what you plan on
doing.

FYI there is a UK specific gardening newsgroup at uk.rec.gardening

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 12-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Perry Templeton

Some communities have zoning rules about which side is out.
In my case, there were no rules for pretty side out or in, only for height
restrictions because I am on a traffic corner.
I gave my good neighbor the pretty side, and I gave the bad neighbor the
ugly side.
Perry
om...

Old 13-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Pam - gardengal

"davew" wrote in message
om...
What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

Answers on a post card please (or my email address)

Regards

Davew

Simply install a "good neighbor" fence ( boards/panels alternate from side
to side of the cross-members) and the issue is moot. Both sides will look
exactly the same.

http://www.ufpi.com/product/wfence/sbdesbx.htm

pam - gardengal

Old 13-08-2004, 08:15 PM
nonews

There is a security factor involved. I've read that the good, flat,
vertical side should face the neighbors since it more difficult to climb
over to enter your property. The side with the horizontal rails is easier
to climb.

However, I would think anyone with criminal intent could care less and still
gain entry.

nonews

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

om...

Old 13-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Warren

nonews wrote:
There is a security factor involved. I've read that the good, flat,
vertical side should face the neighbors since it more difficult to

climb
over to enter your property. The side with the horizontal rails is

easier
to climb.

However, I would think anyone with criminal intent could care less and

still
gain entry.

Yeah. Like through the gate. The same way help and emergency services
get in.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Electric and cordless power tools for the garden:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Old 13-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Vox Humana

"Warren" wrote in message
nonews wrote:
There is a security factor involved. I've read that the good, flat,
vertical side should face the neighbors since it more difficult to

climb
over to enter your property. The side with the horizontal rails is

easier
to climb.

However, I would think anyone with criminal intent could care less and

still
gain entry.

Yeah. Like through the gate. The same way help and emergency services
get in.

And, since it is described as a "boundary fence" as opposed to a privacy
fence, it may only be 4 feet high.

Old 14-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Laura B.

davew wrote:

What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

Answers on a post card please (or my email address)

Regards

Davew

I think the pretty side was originally put facing out for security.
Someone can't stand on the lower rung to look into your yard if it's on
the inside.

You can alternate the pickets to make both sides look nice. This also
lets more wind pass through which is helpfull in windy places like here
where fences are prone to blowing down.

Just don't do like an old neighbor of mine did... he destroyed property
corners, built the fence well onto my property then asked me to
reimburse him for half his costs. Needless to say that didn't happen.
But hey, I could stand on the lower rung and stare into their house if I
wanted! ;-)

Laura B.