Old 12-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Max

Default Sugar Maple dying, suggestions needed

I have a good-sized (10" trunk 20-25' high) sugar maple next to the
street in front of my house. Last year it was very thin, leaf-wise,
and turned to fall color mid-August. By mid September it had dropped
all its leaves, way earlier than other trees in my Zone 5 neighborhood.

This year its even thinner leaf-wise! I called the village (who
maintains the trees in the parkway, the strip of grass next to the
street) mid-June and they sent a guy out. He said: "Yep, you've got
a problem, we're not sure what. We've scheduled a root inspection, it
might be root-bound."

Well they never got to it (don't know if they will, long story), so
in mid July I fertilized with Espoma Tree-Tone per instructions and
have been watering regularly. No change, but I didn't expect it this
year.

As of now the tree is 2/3 fall color and dropping leaves!

Could any of you give me any suggestions as to what to do or what might
be wrong? It's next to a street, a driveway, and a sidewalk, maybe it's
just not getting enough water? But other parkway trees are doing OK.
We have clay soil, perhaps root-bound is the answer? There are no signs
of insects or disease that I can see.

I plan on getting an arborist involved if today's call to the village
bears no fruit, but I'd like to hear any opinions you might have.

Thanks,

Max
Old 13-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Iris Cohen

I have a good-sized (10" trunk 20-25' high) sugar maple next to the
street in front of my house. Last year it was very thin, leaf-wise,
and turned to fall color mid-August. By mid September it had dropped
all its leaves, way earlier than other trees in my Zone 5 neighborhood.

This year its even thinner leaf-wise! I called the village (who
maintains the trees in the parkway, the strip of grass next to the
street) mid-June and they sent a guy out. He said: "Yep, you've got
a problem, we're not sure what. We've scheduled a root inspection, it
might be root-bound."

Sugar maple is a very poor choice for that location. If I were running your
village, I would cut the tree down (the wood is valuable) and replace it with
something more suitable, like a linden. Otherwise it will probably continue to
die a slow agonizing death.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

[IMG] code is On

sugar maple question BlackIce Gardening 2 02-03-2006 07:24 PM
sugar maple problem JW Gardening 5 03-09-2004 08:48 AM
[IBC] Sugar Maple for Bonsai Dan Voicu Bonsai 7 16-06-2004 03:44 PM
Storms damage sugar maple! Pat Kiewicz Gardening 0 22-05-2004 01:02 PM
Sugar Maple age kate alt.forestry 18 06-05-2003 02:23 AM