GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   gallon pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/81599-gallon-pots.html)

chaz 12-08-2004 05:44 PM

gallon pots

are plastic gallon pots readily available from garden centers? i cannot seem
to locate any. I am looking for standard black 1 gallon pots.

Doug Kanter 12-08-2004 06:42 PM

gallon pots

If you've called every garden center near you and haven't found any, then
the answer is "no". However, you might get back on the phone and if it
sounds like you're speaking to a clerk (i.e.: teenager with summer job), ask
for the owner or manager. Lots of unsold plants die in their pots by the end
of the season. Someone might let you stop by and take the pots. You might
have to take the dirt, too, but so what?

paghat 12-08-2004 07:09 PM

gallon pots

"chaz" wrote in message
are plastic gallon pots readily available from garden centers? i cannot

seem
to locate any. I am looking for standard black 1 gallon pots.

If you were anywhere near Puget Sound you could come & get mine for free.
I must have a couple hundred accumulated, hate to just throw them away,
but the nurseries don't want them back.

If you have a local paper like "The Little Nickle" you could put an add in
it asking for free black plastic pots. I bet lots of people are like me,
can't bare to waste them in the garbage, has no earthly use for them in a
garden.

Rosedale Nursery in Gig Harbor has a "junk pile" of these black pots with
a sign that says "Take all you want!"

Seems like there really should be a better recycling system in place, but
I guess for the gallon-size at least, it's just cheaper to keep using new
resources than to pay for the gas to pick them up or send them back to the
growers.

The nurseries WILL take much bigger one's back & even refund part of the
price of the plant that came in the pot, but I like the really big pots
for moving compost & suchlike.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Mark Anderson 12-08-2004 08:06 PM

gallon pots

In article says...
are plastic gallon pots readily available from garden centers? i cannot seem
to locate any. I am looking for standard black 1 gallon pots.

I get mine from alley picking. A lot of people toss them after
replanting but this can take time to build up a collection. It would be
nice if some place sold these things by the dozen like Glad Bags. I
would really like to buy a bunch of 10 or 20 gallon containers, the ones
they put big trees of bushes in, cheaply and it doesn't look like those
containers cost a lot to make.

William Brown 12-08-2004 08:44 PM

gallon pots

Try http://www.growersupply.com/blowmolcon.html

On sale at $30 for 200, but I don't know what shipping would be.

chaz wrote:
are plastic gallon pots readily available from garden centers? i cannot seem
to locate any. I am looking for standard black 1 gallon pots.

there.

Felder 12-08-2004 09:23 PM

gallon pots

Mark Anderson ) wrote...
In article says...
are plastic gallon pots readily available from garden centers? i cannot seem
to locate any. I am looking for standard black 1 gallon pots.

I get mine from alley picking. A lot of people toss them after
replanting but this can take time to build up a collection. It would be
nice if some place sold these things by the dozen like Glad Bags.

A.M. Leonard sells containers in bulk.

-Felder

George Beck 13-08-2004 12:28 AM

gallon pots

"chaz" wrote

http://tinyurl.com/3zluw

Lee 13-08-2004 12:50 AM

gallon pots

We have trash pick-up on Mon and thurs so i put some pots or whatever
on the curb on Tue or wed and if some one wants them they pick them
up.. they usually disappear by evening. If not, may put them out again
then if they haven't found a home, the sanitary engineers can pick
them up on pick-up day.
Leo

(paghat) wrote !"

Layne 13-08-2004 07:18 AM

gallon pots

My local OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) carries them. Also, check your
local mom and pop nuseries. They may have them or similar green Azelea
pots. Or, they may just give you the used pots really cheap or for
free.

Layne

Pam - gardengal 13-08-2004 01:27 PM

gallon pots

"chaz" wrote in message
are plastic gallon pots readily available from garden centers? i cannot

seem
to locate any. I am looking for standard black 1 gallon pots.

You can certainly call and ask. Since the pots are not recyclable by
municipalities, many nurseries offer pot "exchanges", making the pots
available for reuse to the general public and back to the growers - both of
the nurseries I have been associated with do this, but gallon sized and
larger only. Seems a shame that more nursery pots and those stupid little
flimsy 6-paks and wafer thin 4" pots are not recyclable - while a lot do get
reused, a lot more find their ways to landfills.

pam - gardengal

TOM KAN PA 14-08-2004 03:26 PM

Does your supermarket have a floral department? I get all the free pots I need
from the floral department at the local Giant Eagle.*
They are made by:
http://www.nurserysupplies.com/index.php

*Don't laugh at the name. I admit it's a strange name for a LARGE supermarket
chain, but it ain't as bad as Piggly Wiggly!

Rosewood 14-08-2004 07:22 PM

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Does your supermarket have a floral department? I get all the free pots I
need
from the floral department at the local Giant Eagle.*
They are made by:
http://www.nurserysupplies.com/index.php

*Don't laugh at the name. I admit it's a strange name for a LARGE
supermarket
chain, but it ain't as bad as Piggly Wiggly!

Please explain how to get the free pots.

Rosewood

TOM KAN PA 14-08-2004 08:17 PM

Please explain how to get the free pots.
____Reply Separator_____
I was in the floral section, dozens of pots were thrown into a cardboard box. I
asked what they were going to do with them. They said, "Take 'em to the
dumpster."
"Can I have them?"
"Sure."

GrampysGurl 16-08-2004 11:03 PM

If you were anywhere near Puget Sound you could come & get mine for free.
I must have a couple hundred accumulated, hate to just throw them away,

you might offer them to your local garden club for thier plant sales. I know we
are scrounging for what we can find as far as pots go spring and fall. A few
years back DH threw all of my pots away and I haven't been able to recover
since, I'm always running short.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

The Watcher 17-08-2004 03:04 AM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:42:24 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

If you've called every garden center near you and haven't found any, then
the answer is "no". However, you might get back on the phone and if it
sounds like you're speaking to a clerk (i.e.: teenager with summer job), ask
for the owner or manager. Lots of unsold plants die in their pots by the end
of the season. Someone might let you stop by and take the pots. You might
have to take the dirt, too, but so what?

Some people don't like to recycle used pots. They claim it's risking spreading
diseases and pests. I don't worry much about that, but can see their point.