Old 13-08-2004, 02:24 AM
earl

Default Ornamental grasses add year-long garden pleasure

There’s grass... and then there are grasses!

You mow down the grass, but grasses get a whole different treatment.
You
scowl and say, “Darn it! Look how long the grass is getting!” Then
smile
benignly and say, “Look at those long, lush grasses!”

There’s something very special about ornamental grasses than can make
a fan
out of the most avid lawn-hating curmudgeon. For one thing, they are
relatively easy to grow (and hard to kill) and they can be quite
spectacular
without requiring a lot of expertise on the part of the homeowner.

Ornamental grasses can be grouped in several ways. One way is to
divide them
into “Cool Season” and “Warm Season” grasses.

If you plant cool season grasses, you’ll notice that they begin to
grow
quite early in the spring and also seem to prefer cooler temperatures.
When
rainfall is scarce or temperatures are high, cool season grasses need
more
frequent watering. Some examples of cool season grasses: Blue Oat
grass,
Tufted Hair grass and Fescues.

Warm season grasses don’t show much growth until the air and the soil
warm
up. Unlike their cool cousins, warm season grasses handle hot weather
and
limited moisture quite well and can retain an attractive appearance
without
a lot of watering on your part. Examples of warm season grasses:
Hardy
Pampas Grass, Switch grass and Japanese Silver Grass.

I found an excellent web site full of easy-to-understand information
about
ornamental grasses, hosted by the University of Illinois Extension.
The web
address is http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/grasses/ and I have embedded a
hot
link directly from my web site to help you find it. Just go to
www.landsteward.org and find this column archived under The Plant Man
heading. Simply scroll down and click on the link. (There’s even a
really
neat 3 minute video about grasses that you can view!)

The site reminds us of an important point: you need to understand the
growth
habits of grasses before you plant them. Why? Because most grasses
are
classified either as clump forming or rhizome forming, and they have
very
different characteristics!

Clump forming grasses grow in neat mounds (clumps) and work well in
close
proximity to perennials as they are not invasive. However, rhizome
grasses
spread out their underground stems and can quickly take over an entire
area.
That can be both desirable and attractive, but you wouldn’t want to
plant
rhizome forming grasses around your prized perennials! If you’re not
sure
which group a particular grass falls into, ask someone knowledgeable
at your
garden center, or send me an e-mail at

When it comes to planting grasses, you can do so in either spring or
fall.
If you decide on fall planting, in most climates, it’s best to plant
in
August or September, allowing the grasses to establish a solid root
system
before winter.

Even if you plan on spring planting, conventional wisdom suggests
tilling
the soil in the fall so the freeze/thaw cycle will improve
workability. You
won’t need a whole lot of fertilizer, but for about 100 square feet,
dig in
about one pound of all purpose (10-10-10) fertilizer as you prepare
the
soil.

After you’ve planted your ornamental grasses, give them a good
watering, and
maintain a moist soil environment until they’re established. If you
decided
on fall planting, cover your new grasses lightly with hay or straw
before
the first frost. Again, if you have specific planting or care
questions,
drop me an e-mail and I’ll send you a personal reply.

A word about weed control: I suggest you mulch around your ornamental
grasses as this will deter weed growth and make for easier
maintenance.

My personal preference is not to cut down my grasses when they become
dry
and brittle in the winter, as I think they look very attractive that
way,
particularly when I see them rising up above the snow. I wait until
the
spring and trim back the foliage to about 6 inches which encourages
spring
growth.

Here are some of my favorite ornamental grasses:

For a basic fescue (with a ‘twist’) I like Elija blue fescue (Festuca
ovina
glauca). It really is the “bluest of the blues.” As the summer
progresses,
long, wheat-like stems sprout from the center of the blue clump,
adding a
whole new dimension.

Pennisetum Little Bunny is what is known as a “super dwarf” fountain
grass
and works well around perennials without overpowering them. It looks
good on
rock gardens and is deer-resistant.

Variegated Japanese sedge (Carex morrowii) seems to grow in almost any
environment and is a well-behaved (non-spreading) grass. It has a
distinctive cream-colored stripe down the center of its long, leathery
green
leaves. I think it looks very attractive as an accent near a pond, as
well
as being a very useful groundcover.

Well, those are just three of my favorites. When you’re planning your
landscape, be sure to include some ornamental grasses that you can
enjoy
year-round!

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and
landscaping to
and for resources and additional
information, including archived columns, visit
www.landsteward.org

Old 13-08-2004, 06:06 AM
how

Default Ornamental grasses and gr**nw**d nursery add weeds to rec gardens

"earl" wrote in message
There's grass... and then there are grasses!

snip

Hi,
This is a web designer getting clicks for the boss. I've asked them
questions before and the best answers were "I think they meant this---" and
"I think they meant that" most were ignored.
Get a blog -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 13-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Pam - gardengal

"how" wrote in message
"earl" wrote in message
There's grass... and then there are grasses!

snip

Hi,
This is a web designer getting clicks for the boss. I've asked them
questions before and the best answers were "I think they meant this---"

and
"I think they meant that" most were ignored.

yeah, most of us regulars figured that out ages ago - they're just trying to
drum up business. Mostly they just get ignored - you'll never see too many
direct responses to these frequent little blurbs other than comments like
yours.

Old 14-08-2004, 05:34 AM
earl

That's an interesting string of comments, all two of them. Not too
worried about them. The beauty of the usenet is a sharing of
information. The plantman articles are informative, and useful. They
have spring discussions and some have even helped folks out. I think
that's a good use of space myself. Yes, I am the web desiger for the
Greenwood Nursery. I am also a longstanding customer and friend of the
owners. I have been real impressed by their level of integrity in
business. As a result, I feel free to post here in good conscience. I
think if you'll look through the history of the posts, and i've been
doing this for about 4 years now, you'll see that the response is
positive.

All the best,
Earl

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:46:07 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"

Old 18-08-2004, 07:05 AM
Salty Thumb

earl wrote in
:

That's an interesting string of comments, all two of them. Not too
worried about them. The beauty of the usenet is a sharing of
information. The plantman articles are informative, and useful. They
have spring discussions and some have even helped folks out. I think
that's a good use of space myself. Yes, I am the web desiger for the
Greenwood Nursery. I am also a longstanding customer and friend of the
owners. I have been real impressed by their level of integrity in
business. As a result, I feel free to post here in good conscience. I
think if you'll look through the history of the posts, and i've been
doing this for about 4 years now, you'll see that the response is
positive.

All the best,
Earl

OMG "Earl/Earl Buchan/Earl Buchannan/Earl's Mom/Mother of All Earls/Too
Early For This/Earl of Sandwich/I think I'll have a Sandwich/I think I'll
have Spam Sandwich/I think I'll Call It Earl's Spam Sandwich or Maybe
Just Earl Spam" does actually read this group.
Old 18-08-2004, 04:53 PM
earl

+revs up for a big zerbert+ :-P

Yes, I read this group. Truth be told, I didn't know a thing about
gardening before this particular client. Now I can even identify
plants! +does the solitary gardening nerd happy dance+

I'll shut up now.
Earl

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:05:06 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

earl wrote in
: