Old 16-08-2004, 09:22 PM
James

Default Anybody know how to combat Nut Grass?

Nut Sedge may be the proper name. It's been more wet than usual here this
year and patches have sprung up everywhere. The flower garden, the veggie
garden and the yard. Trying not to kill everything around it and am puzzled
as to what might do the trick.

Old 16-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Vox Humana

"James" wrote in message
news
Nut Sedge may be the proper name. It's been more wet than usual here this
year and patches have sprung up everywhere. The flower garden, the veggie
garden and the yard. Trying not to kill everything around it and am

puzzled
as to what might do the trick.

This was discussed here last week. What you use apparently depends on where
"here" is. If no one responds, you can do a search of the group he
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Old 17-08-2004, 12:50 AM
escapee

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:22:22 -0400, "James" opined:

Nut Sedge may be the proper name. It's been more wet than usual here this
year and patches have sprung up everywhere. The flower garden, the veggie
garden and the yard. Trying not to kill everything around it and am puzzled
as to what might do the trick.

Well, it takes several seasons to get it under control, manually. That is my
preferred way, especially if it's in beds which are already cultivated and
moderately soft. Just put a fork in, loosen the soil and gently pull so you can
also pull the other nutlets which are attached with a threadlike structure.
There is a product called Image, but I have not seen it as a very useful tool
since it doesn't always work, and why put a synthetic chemical on the garden if
you can just take some time on the weekends and pull some each time you are out
for five minutes here and there. Eventually, you control it, but it never really
goes away.

Old 17-08-2004, 02:07 PM
LFR

"James" wrote in message
news
Nut Sedge may be the proper name. It's been more wet than usual here this
year and patches have sprung up everywhere. The flower garden, the veggie
garden and the yard. Trying not to kill everything around it and am

puzzled
as to what might do the trick.

According to my research, a product called MANAGE is supposed the best way
to control nutsedge.

It has been very wet here in Virginia so nutsedge is flourishing this year.
I have been manually pulling it.

Old 18-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Karl L. Wuensch

Move to a new location. If you can't do that, you might have success by
planting a cover crop that will completely shade the affected area and leave
it in place for at least three years. Alternatively, you might be able to
find a fumigant that will kill most of the nut grass. I have been told that
lime can help, but in my experience it has not. Surface herbicides will
burn it back, but it will grow back from the nuts, which seem to come from
Hades.

Karl W.

news

Old 18-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Suzie-Q

In article .net,
"Karl L. Wuensch" wrote:

- Move to a new location. If you can't do that, you might have success by
- planting a cover crop that will completely shade the affected area and leave
- it in place for at least three years. Alternatively, you might be able to
- find a fumigant that will kill most of the nut grass. I have been told that
- lime can help, but in my experience it has not. Surface herbicides will
- burn it back, but it will grow back from the nuts, which seem to come from
- Hades.
-
- Karl W.
-
- "James" wrote in message
- news - Nut Sedge may be the proper name. It's been more wet than usual here this
- year and patches have sprung up everywhere. The flower garden, the veggie
- garden and the yard. Trying not to kill everything around it and am
- puzzled
- as to what might do the trick.

This thread is depressing. I've just recently discovered nut
grass in my lawn. Never had it before.
--
8^(~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~