GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   EASTERN WHITE PINE PRUNING (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/82026-eastern-white-pine-pruning.html)

joseph musolino 20-08-2004 01:16 AM

EASTERN WHITE PINE PRUNING

I have 3 of these evergreen conifers on my property (approx 30 ft tall). I
was thinking of pruning the lower branches of the tree to promote higher
growth on top and to clear the area for mowing/people, etc. Some say its OK
to prune off branches up to 10 ft or so, others say I should not do this and
just mulch around the trees. Which is best? Also if I were to prune these
branches, when would be the best time of year to do so? I live in the
Northeast (NJ). Thanks for any and all input.

Twobtold 20-08-2004 07:48 AM

From: "joseph musolino"

www.na.fs.fed.us/.../ howtos/ht_white/white.htm

[email protected] 21-08-2004 01:10 AM

Joseph,

If by "...pruning the lower branches" you mean removing the lower branches,
you can do it anytime. However, removing lower branches will have little or no
effect on top growth.

--beeky