GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Propagating Trumpet Vine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/82084-propagating-trumpet-vine.html)

Sacramento Mike 20-08-2004 06:45 PM

Propagating Trumpet Vine

Can anyone provide directions on how to propagate trumpet vine? I am
fairly new to gardening and don't have much background knowledge on
the subject. We'd like to take cuttings from our neighbors vine,
clone it, and plant 10 - 15 starts at the base of our chain-link
fence. We'd like to cover the fence as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Jim Elbrecht 21-08-2004 12:30 AM

(Sacramento Mike) wrote:

Can anyone provide directions on how to propagate trumpet vine? I am
fairly new to gardening and don't have much background knowledge on
the subject. We'd like to take cuttings from our neighbors vine,
clone it, and plant 10 - 15 starts at the base of our chain-link
fence. We'd like to cover the fence as quickly as possible. Thanks!

I've had real good luck just taking this years growth & laying it on
the ground with a rock on it. Next year it has rooted & I snip it
from the mother.

You could do the same with pots I suppose--- or try air layering,
though it doesn't look so pretty. [when the kids were in pampers I
used 1/4 of a pamper to air layer some plants.

[email protected] 25-08-2004 11:44 PM

DONT DO IT. plant clematis instead. they will eat your fence and spread out of
control. they are a weed. Ingrid

(Sacramento Mike) wrote:

Can anyone provide directions on how to propagate trumpet vine? I am
fairly new to gardening and don't have much background knowledge on
the subject. We'd like to take cuttings from our neighbors vine,
clone it, and plant 10 - 15 starts at the base of our chain-link
fence. We'd like to cover the fence as quickly as possible. Thanks!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

The Watcher 26-08-2004 06:11 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:44:23 GMT, wrote:

DONT DO IT. plant clematis instead. they will eat your fence and spread out of
control. they are a weed. Ingrid

One man's weed is another man's cherished plant.;)
I still enjoy the bamboo and honeysuckle I've planted.

Travis 27-08-2004 01:27 AM

The Watcher wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:44:23 GMT, wrote:

DONT DO IT. plant clematis instead. they will eat your fence and spread out of
control. they are a weed. Ingrid

One man's weed is another man's cherished plant.;)
I still enjoy the bamboo and honeysuckle I've planted.

We have 12 different bamboo, two different Honeysuckle and two
different Trumpet Vines and love them all.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

The Watcher 27-08-2004 07:45 AM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:27:43 GMT, Travis
wrote:

The Watcher wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:44:23 GMT, wrote:

DONT DO IT. plant clematis instead. they will eat your fence and spread out of
control. they are a weed. Ingrid

One man's weed is another man's cherished plant.;)
I still enjoy the bamboo and honeysuckle I've planted.

We have 12 different bamboo, two different Honeysuckle and two
different Trumpet Vines and love them all.

I've only got 7 different types of bamboo(but I do have one type of bamboo
planted in about 8 different places ;) ) and one honeysuckle, so far. Haven't
got the trumpet vine yet, but I probably will have one after this winter.