GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ditch lillies: is this the right time to steal some? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/82157-ditch-lillies-right-time-steal-some.html)

Volfie 22-08-2004 02:16 AM

Ditch lillies: is this the right time to steal some?

I admit it, I'm a ditch lilly junkie. (As well as lots of other things folks
consider troublesome weeds. :) Is this a good time to transplant some from
the roadsides into my gardens? I used to do it in the spring but that cuts
down on the blooms for that year. Can I do it now?

Giselle

zxcvbob 22-08-2004 02:56 AM

Volfie wrote:

I admit it, I'm a ditch lilly junkie. (As well as lots of other things folks
consider troublesome weeds. :) Is this a good time to transplant some from
the roadsides into my gardens? I used to do it in the spring but that cuts
down on the blooms for that year. Can I do it now?

Giselle

I set out some daylilies last year about this time (or a little later)
and they did great. I then moved them out of the vegetable garden to a
flower bed in late spring (while some were blooming) and they hardly
seemed to notice.

The ditch lilies should transplant even better. I would move them now
so they can get established a little before winter.

Bob, zone 4

Wil 22-08-2004 04:14 AM

"Volfie" wrote in message
I admit it, I'm a ditch lilly junkie. (As well as lots of other things

folks
consider troublesome weeds. :) Is this a good time to transplant some

from
the roadsides into my gardens? I used to do it in the spring but that

cuts
down on the blooms for that year. Can I do it now?

Giselle

They are so hardy just about any time is the right time for ditch lilies,
Hemerocallis fulva. What zone are you in? If you are in a zone where the
temperatures are still in the 90's you might want to wait until the temps
are a bit cooler.

Wil