GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Serious forks & spades (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/82173-serious-forks-spades.html)

Doug Kanter 22-08-2004 02:24 PM

Serious forks & spades

About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith & Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them. Before I drop a hundred bucks
to replace them, I'm wondering if anyone's found anything similar in stores
(USA only, please). I need a D-handle at the top, and that cannot be
plastic. Don't care about stainless steel.

Pam - gardengal 22-08-2004 04:07 PM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith & Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them. Before I drop a hundred bucks
to replace them, I'm wondering if anyone's found anything similar in

stores
(USA only, please). I need a D-handle at the top, and that cannot be
plastic. Don't care about stainless steel.

I have a set of Spear & Jackson (British mfg) that I got years ago from a
local garden center that fit your requirements. But they weren't cheap - I
think regardless of what brand name you select, for good quality,
longlasting tools, you will be looking at the better part of $100 and up.

Check out A.M. Leonard or Lee Valley Tools - both carry British tools with
steel blades and ash handles and can be ordered onlline.

pam - gardengal

Ann 22-08-2004 06:41 PM

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith & Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them. Before I drop a hundred bucks
to replace them, I'm wondering if anyone's found anything similar in stores
(USA only, please). I need a D-handle at the top, and that cannot be
plastic. Don't care about stainless steel.

I just had to replace my absolute favorite fork, a Wilkinson,
indestructible, but unfortunately completely lose-able :o( I bought
this one from Johnny's Selected Seeds (it also comes with a lifetime
warranty, just like my lamented Wilkinson):

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/r...s.html&source=

It's $68.50, which sounds steep, but I paid $39.99 for the one I lost
back in 1979. Well worth the money. There's a somewhat smaller
version for $54.50 he

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/r...s.html&source=

I am very happy with it. Good luck in your search.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

MICHAEL LYONS 22-08-2004 07:12 PM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith & Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them. Before I drop a hundred bucks
to replace them, I'm wondering if anyone's found anything similar in

stores
(USA only, please). I need a D-handle at the top, and that cannot be
plastic. Don't care about stainless steel.

It seems like US made tools you replace every couple of years, while the
British pass theirs down to their great-grandchildren.

Doug Kanter 22-08-2004 07:52 PM

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Pam. That's what I was looking for - names. 20 yrs ago, Smith &
Hawken was selling Bulldog tools. Now, I have no idea what their source is.
And, I don't mind paying top dollar, especially when I'll be tearing out a
lot of grass by hand and need tools with some heft to them.

Doug Kanter 22-08-2004 07:55 PM

"MICHAEL LYONS" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith &

Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them. Before I drop a hundred

bucks
to replace them, I'm wondering if anyone's found anything similar in

stores
(USA only, please). I need a D-handle at the top, and that cannot be
plastic. Don't care about stainless steel.

It seems like US made tools you replace every couple of years, while the
British pass theirs down to their great-grandchildren.

True. And, what I saw at home centers yesterday looks and feels like
complete crap. I haven't hit the real garden stores yet, so that may still
provide the miracle I'm looking for. If I have a choice, I really prefer to
handle the tool before buying, although that may end up being impossible.

Doug Kanter 22-08-2004 08:10 PM

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith &

Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them.

Some lawyer you had! Can't you appeal for shared care-and-custody ?

Janet

I got the boat. :-)

Jim Elbrecht 23-08-2004 01:04 AM

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith & Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them. Before I drop a hundred bucks
to replace them, I'm wondering if anyone's found anything similar in stores
(USA only, please). I need a D-handle at the top, and that cannot be
plastic. Don't care about stainless steel.

I'll second Pam's suggestion on Lee Valley. Be it garden or
woodworking tools, their quality & service can't be beat. [I think
'Veritas' is a 'house brand' -- but as far as woodworking tools go,
anyway, it is as good as it gets.

http://www.leevalley.com/
[and their catalogs are absolute works of art]

Jim

Ed Clarke 23-08-2004 01:55 PM

In article , Doug Kanter wrote:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith &

Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them.

Some lawyer you had! Can't you appeal for shared care-and-custody ?

Janet

I got the boat. :-)

Boat: n. A hole in the water that you throw money into.

Doug Kanter 23-08-2004 04:01 PM

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
In article , Doug Kanter wrote:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in

message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith &

Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them.

Some lawyer you had! Can't you appeal for shared care-and-custody ?

Janet

I got the boat. :-)

Boat: n. A hole in the water that you throw money into.

True history for 5 years' of ownership:

Boat: $1400.00
Motor: $1200.00
Routine maintenance: $300.00 or so.
Accessories (over 5 years): $12,219,440.98
Replacing fishing lures lost to evil underwater obstructions: $27,803.47

Even so, it's one hell of a sedative.

David Hill 24-08-2004 11:36 AM

Janet.(Scotland) wrote....

"My current spades are, Wilkinson Sword, 20 UK pounds, D shock-absorber
handle, stainless steel blade; and a Senator ash shaft, ash D handle,
bronzed steel blade one which came with a supposed "lifetime guarantee" for
18 pounds. Don't think I quite believe that somehow :-) "

But whose life time, yours or the spade ?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

David Hill 24-08-2004 11:38 AM

Doug wrote..

".... Replacing fishing lures lost to evil underwater obstructions:
$27,803.47 .........."

What are they ...solid gold with diamond eyes?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Doug Kanter 24-08-2004 03:24 PM

"David Hill" wrote in message
Doug wrote..

".... Replacing fishing lures lost to evil underwater obstructions:
$27,803.47 .........."

What are they ...solid gold with diamond eyes?

--
David Hill

No...just a shitload of lures! I can point out at least 3 fishing spots
where, if terrorists wanted to wade to shore, they'd be entangled in hooks
and probably dead before they got close. :-)

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 26-08-2004 02:44 AM

"David Hill" in news:cgf26p$bb9$1
@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

But whose life time, yours or the spade ?

or the soil's?