GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please identify this plant from an Australian garden. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/82983-please-identify-plant-australian-garden.html)

Cookie Monster 04-09-2004 02:03 AM

Please identify this plant from an Australian garden.

Hello, can you please take a look at this plant as let me know what it is called.

http://img1.uploadimages.net/49757609041032-02.jpg

For scale, the leaves are just larger than my hand.

Thanks

Cereus-validus 04-09-2004 03:21 AM

Imagine that, the leaves are palmate just like your hand!

Now if we only knew how big you hand is and what the full grown plant looks
like, especially in flower or fruit, whe might say exactly if that is just
another maple tree or something else!!!

om...

Christopher Green 04-09-2004 08:22 AM

On 3 Sep 2004 18:03:01 -0700, (Cookie Monster)
wrote:

Hello, can you please take a look at this plant as let me know what it is called.

http://img1.uploadimages.net/49757609041032-02.jpg

For scale, the leaves are just larger than my hand.

Thanks

Looks like an abutilon. It's a common garden shrub in California,
which has a climate not too different from Australia's. A flower would
cinch it: abutilons are in the family Malvaceae and have
characteristic mallow flowers. There's a nice gallery of abutilons at
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Abutilon/gallery.html

Sometimes called "Chinese bellflower" or "flowering maple" (though
it's nothing to do with true maples).

--
Chris Green

[email protected] 04-09-2004 06:11 PM

Thank you.

I've not actually seen it flower but I will whip out my camera if it
does. The leave look the same as the ones in the link you gave me.
Thanks again.