GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bract Trees: Linden/Basswood - collecting/starting seeds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83006-bract-trees-linden-basswood-collecting-starting-seeds.html)

04-09-2004 01:22 PM

Bract Trees: Linden/Basswood - collecting/starting seeds?

Two questions for a beekeeper in Massachusetts:
1. How does one tell the difference between a Linden and a Basswood? I can quickly
identify a tree with the correct overall shape, leaf shape, and if it has bracts, but
have no idea the difference between these two trees.
2. What methods would you recommend to collect the seeds, and germinate them? I've
collected a decent quantity of seeds... what to do now?

Zemedelec 04-09-2004 11:17 PM

I've
collected a decent quantity of seeds... what to do now? BRBR

Go to a nursery and buy a young sapling.
zemedelec

Pen 05-09-2004 05:45 AM

For my area, basswood leaves are huge and more crinkled than linden.
Linden trees often have hundreds of seedlings underneath them. I've
never looked under basswood. I've pulled up a few linden sprouts and
transplanted them. They seem to be doing well, keeping my fingers
crossed that they'll survive winter.

If there's one you like in particular, consider taking a cutting in
spring and root it with some rooting hormones.