GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   does anybody know what this insect is (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83206-re-does-anybody-know-what-insect.html)

Pam - gardengal 08-09-2004 08:54 PM

does anybody know what this insect is

"Gord Stephan" wrote in message
I have a picture attached. It is the wierdest bug I have ever seen

Gord

First, not a good idea to post images here - best to do so on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

The insect is question is a fairly common creature, a dragon or damsel fly.
Not sure what specific species, but they are found all over in areas with
some sort of water feature - lakes, ponds, swamps, slow moving streams, even
waterbowls, birbaths and other garden water attractions.

pam - gardengal

escapee 11-09-2004 02:58 PM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:08:08 -0400, "Gord Stephan"
opined:

It's a dragon fly. Damsel flies wings are always held in the back position when
resting, and dragon flies have their two sets of wings outward, as you see yours
has. Which dragon fly it is, I haven't the clue.

Victoria