GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Does anyone know what insect this is (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83207-re-does-anyone-know-what-insect.html)

Alfred Falk 08-09-2004 09:09 PM

Does anyone know what insect this is

"Gord Stephan" wrote in
:

I found it in my garden and did not appear to be doing any harm. Just
sat there while I took pictures.

It's a dragonfly, couldn't tell you what species though. Not weird at all
in any place with moisture. The eat mosquitoes and other small flying
insects, usually considered beneficial.
Where do you live that you've never seen one before? (Incidentally,
location is extremely helpful information in identifying wild creatueres
and plants.)

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk
R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://www.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/

Gord Stephan 08-09-2004 09:11 PM

live in Hamilton ontario near toronto...there is not alot of water near my
property. Lake ontario is several KM away

"Alfred Falk" wrote in message
.. .
"Gord Stephan" wrote in
:

Alfred Falk 08-09-2004 10:43 PM

"Gord Stephan" wrote in
:

live in Hamilton ontario near toronto...there is not alot of water
near my property. Lake ontario is several KM away

If there's enough water for mosquitoes, there's likely enough for
dragonflies. Life cycle is similar and dragonfly larvae eat mosquito
larvae - in standing or slow-moving water, generally. Puddles, ponds,
creeks, etc.

Ann 08-09-2004 11:03 PM

"Gord Stephan" expounded:

I found it in my garden and did not appear to be doing any harm. Just sat
there while I took pictures.

It looks like one of the Emerald dragonflies. Odonata are one of my
favorite things to watch, there was one in my brother's backyard the
other day that was huge, at least a 6" wingspan.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA