GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What to plant in the toilet? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83223-what-plant-toilet.html)

JJ 09-09-2004 07:34 AM

What to plant in the toilet?

No not the one inside the house silly.

I mean a defunct one, out in the yard as a decorative accent of
course. A planter, potted plant...

What plant would not only look good in the white comode but also have
an inside joke or wry wit?

Hmmm...St John's Wort?

My knowledge base is small...

Jay

Near Vegas, zone 9ish

Warren 09-09-2004 07:47 AM

JJ wrote:
No not the one inside the house silly.

I mean a defunct one, out in the yard as a decorative accent of
course. A planter, potted plant...

What plant would not only look good in the white comode but also have
an inside joke or wry wit?

Something with obvious thorns. Something spiky. Maybe a cactus sticking
straight up in the middle would make some people cringe.

Will this be an annual? Or a perennial? What zone are you in?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Cooking with Intense Heat
http://www.holzemville.com/community...eat/index.html

David Hill 09-09-2004 09:29 AM

JJ asked "What plant would not only look good in the white comode but also
have an inside joke or wry wit? "

I would block the outflow pipe and grow Bog plants

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

SVTKate 09-09-2004 11:48 AM

You are ACTUALLY going to put a toilet in your yard?????

Kidding, right?
*sigh*
to each his own I guess....

Kate

GrampysGurl 09-09-2004 11:55 AM

You are ACTUALLY going to put a toilet in your yard?????

Kidding, right?
*sigh*
to each his own I guess....

Kate

That would be my response lol.

dps 09-09-2004 01:42 PM

If you don't get winter, you're probably OK. Otherwise, you might have
to consider that the trap in the toilet will hold water and thereby be
susceptible to cracking the ceramic when you get freezing temperatures.

Also, most plants' roots require air as well as water, so they need some
drainage in their pots.

JJ wrote:

...Near Vegas, zone 9ish

Frank Logullo 09-09-2004 01:42 PM

"GrampysGurl" wrote in message

You are ACTUALLY going to put a toilet in your yard?????

Kidding, right?
*sigh*
to each his own I guess....

Kate

That would be my response lol.

Me too. Otherwise original poster is an asshole ;)
Frank

redclay13 09-09-2004 03:12 PM

"JJ" wrote in message
No not the one inside the house silly.

I mean a defunct one, out in the yard as a decorative accent of
course. A planter, potted plant...

What plant would not only look good in the white comode but also have
an inside joke or wry wit?

Pee-tunias actually look good in one. Plant not only the bowl but the tank
as well.

JJ 09-09-2004 05:09 PM

"Warren" wrote:

Something with obvious thorns. Something spiky. Maybe a cactus sticking
straight up in the middle would make some people cringe.

Will this be an annual? Or a perennial? What zone are you in?

Thanks Warren,

I generally prefer perennials and self seeding annuals.

I do have some cactus in pots that could use a change of venue.
And it would work for my location, the very last line in my orginal
post was "Near Vegas, zone 9ish."

Thanks

Jay

JJ 09-09-2004 05:11 PM

"David Hill" wrote:

JJ asked "What plant would not only look good in the white comode but also
have an inside joke or wry wit? "

I would block the outflow pipe and grow Bog plants

Bog! I love it! Hmmm perhaps I could stick it in my pond instead.

I'm going to have to "ponder" this one.

Jay

JJ 09-09-2004 05:13 PM

(GrampysGurl) wrote:

You are ACTUALLY going to put a toilet in your yard?????

Kidding, right?
*sigh*
to each his own I guess....

Kate

That would be my response lol.

See, you gals have a finely attuned sense of form, balance and style.

I am a crazy bachelor guy nicknamed the Pig.

Jay the Pig

JJ 09-09-2004 05:18 PM

dps wrote:

If you don't get winter, you're probably OK. Otherwise, you might have
to consider that the trap in the toilet will hold water and thereby be
susceptible to cracking the ceramic when you get freezing temperatures.

Also, most plants' roots require air as well as water, so they need some
drainage in their pots.

Winters are very mild here.

Thanks for mentioning the trap. Maybe this is my chance to try out
one of my ceramic/glass drills. Or what if I just puddled some strong
acid to eat out the bottom of the trap. Actually this makes me
wonder what would happen if I etched away the hard smooth outer layer.

Would I then have something like a Chia toilet?

Thanks!

Jay

JJ wrote:

...Near Vegas, zone 9ish

JJ 09-09-2004 05:20 PM

"redclay13" wrote:

Pee-tunias actually look good in one. Plant not only the bowl but the tank
as well.

Hmmm....the tank! See this time I just have the bowl.

Oh man, I'm in trouble. Now I want a tank too!

Thanks Red!

Jay

dps 09-09-2004 05:22 PM

JJ wrote:
.... Actually this makes me
wonder what would happen if I etched away the hard smooth outer layer.

Would I then have something like a Chia toilet?....

Not sure where I saw it, but someone sprayed his car with adhesive, then
grass seed. Maybe you could use that concept.

Jacqueline 09-09-2004 06:06 PM

"JJ" wrote in message
(GrampysGurl) wrote:

You are ACTUALLY going to put a toilet in your yard?????

Kidding, right?
*sigh*
to each his own I guess....

Kate

That would be my response lol.

See, you gals have a finely attuned sense of form, balance and style.

I am a crazy bachelor guy nicknamed the Pig.

Jay the Pig

And likely to stay that way from the looks of things... ;-)

--
Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA