Old 12-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Mark Herbert

Default Moonflower Mutant

My Ipomoea alba vine has sported a purple ruffled mutation or something.
Has anyone here seen this before? Is there hope that any seeds that may
set from these flowers will produce a vine with similar flowers?

Please follow these links, or see my recent posts in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens for photos

Old 13-09-2004, 05:18 AM
SVTKate

Your links pop up as an email address....
why not just post a link to the pics?

Kate

Old 13-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Mark Herbert

I've modified the links and they should work now.

Old 13-09-2004, 01:51 PM
SVTKate

Dang! Those are pretty!
Do you think that maybe they have cross polinated with a Morning Glory maybe
or a stray MG wove itself in?
Are they visibly on the same vine both purple and white?
If they do make seeds, I'd sure like to get my hands on a few.

When I was just a little Kate my Grandma had a moonflower. As youngins my
two cousins and I would go down and watch them open, it was like magic.
Thanks for sharing the photos
Kate

"Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| I've modified the links and they should work now.
|
| In article .net,
| "SVTKate" wrote:
|
| Your links pop up as an email address....
| why not just post a link to the pics?
|
| Kate
|
| "Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| | My Ipomoea alba vine has sported a purple ruffled mutation or
something.
| | Has anyone here seen this before? Is there hope that any seeds that
may
| | set from these flowers will produce a vine with similar flowers?
| |

Old 13-09-2004, 03:09 PM
starlord

I do have a MG that looks just like that, only it's a normal day time
bloomer and has set ZERO seeds ( being a hybred ). But if his sets seeds,
I'd like to try them out for next year too.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

"SVTKate" wrote in message
. net...
Dang! Those are pretty!
Do you think that maybe they have cross polinated with a Morning Glory

maybe
or a stray MG wove itself in?
Are they visibly on the same vine both purple and white?
If they do make seeds, I'd sure like to get my hands on a few.

When I was just a little Kate my Grandma had a moonflower. As youngins my
two cousins and I would go down and watch them open, it was like magic.
Thanks for sharing the photos
Kate

---

Old 13-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Bill

What's with the "Bishop's car fund" and your moving?

Are you looking for donations? If that is a picture of the neighborhood
where you live, why are you considering moving, it looks like a nice area to
live?

Bill

Old 14-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
"SVTKate" wrote:

Dang! Those are pretty!
Do you think that maybe they have cross polinated with a Morning Glory maybe
or a stray MG wove itself in?

The first thing I ruled out was a volunteer Morning Glory. I traced the
purple-flowered tendril back to the main vine and all the other branches
are producing typical large white flowers. The purple flowers seem
confused about what time of day they prefer to open, some open late
afternoon and some early morning. They have flower buds that don't look
like either Morning Glory or Moonflower. I grew these vines from first
generation store-bought seed, and the vines are normal in all respects
other than the single purple flowering branch, so it must just be a
sport. Freaky. Nice.

Are they visibly on the same vine both purple and white?
If they do make seeds, I'd sure like to get my hands on a few.

About eight flowers have come and gone so far, and none have set seed.
I think the flowers are self-sterile. I'm gonna try a few hand
pollinations between the purple and white flowers and if I get any seeds
I'll grow them out and if I get something unique I will be glad to share
seeds. A normally sized and shaped purple Moonflower would sure be a
hit in my book. May take some time, but I'll keep you all informed.

When I was just a little Kate my Grandma had a moonflower. As youngins my
two cousins and I would go down and watch them open, it was like magic.

I sit on my front porch swing and watch them open. Almost every evening
little hummingbird moths swing by, and later in the night my Moonflowers
and Daturas are frequently visited by huge sphinx moths.

Thanks for sharing the photos

My pleasure!

Old 14-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
"starlord" wrote:

I do have a MG that looks just like that, only it's a normal day time
bloomer and has set ZERO seeds ( being a hybred ). But if his sets seeds,
I'd like to try them out for next year too.

Do you know the name of the Morning Glory variety that looks like that?
If I can't get seeds from these flowers, I'd sure like to grow something
that at least looks like them. I'll let you know if I obtain any seeds
to share.

Old 14-09-2004, 02:22 AM
SVTKate

Thanks for the info Mark
I planted my Moonflowers on the stair rail leading off the back porch. I
have not seen ANYTHING coming to visit them but they are making seed pods,
so they are obviously being pollinated.
What part of the country are you in that you get these wonderful creatures?

Kate

"Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| In article ,
| "SVTKate" wrote:
|
| Dang! Those are pretty!
| Do you think that maybe they have cross polinated with a Morning Glory
maybe
| or a stray MG wove itself in?
|
| The first thing I ruled out was a volunteer Morning Glory. I traced the
| purple-flowered tendril back to the main vine and all the other branches
| are producing typical large white flowers. The purple flowers seem
| confused about what time of day they prefer to open, some open late
| afternoon and some early morning. They have flower buds that don't look
| like either Morning Glory or Moonflower. I grew these vines from first
| generation store-bought seed, and the vines are normal in all respects
| other than the single purple flowering branch, so it must just be a
| sport. Freaky. Nice.
|
| Are they visibly on the same vine both purple and white?
| If they do make seeds, I'd sure like to get my hands on a few.
|
| About eight flowers have come and gone so far, and none have set seed.
| I think the flowers are self-sterile. I'm gonna try a few hand
| pollinations between the purple and white flowers and if I get any seeds
| I'll grow them out and if I get something unique I will be glad to share
| seeds. A normally sized and shaped purple Moonflower would sure be a
| hit in my book. May take some time, but I'll keep you all informed.
|
| When I was just a little Kate my Grandma had a moonflower. As youngins
my
| two cousins and I would go down and watch them open, it was like magic.
|
| I sit on my front porch swing and watch them open. Almost every evening
| little hummingbird moths swing by, and later in the night my Moonflowers
| and Daturas are frequently visited by huge sphinx moths.
|
| Thanks for sharing the photos
|
| My pleasure!
|
| Kate
|
| "Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| | I've modified the links and they should work now.
| |
| | In article .net,
| | "SVTKate" wrote:
| |
| | Your links pop up as an email address....
| | why not just post a link to the pics?
| |
| | Kate
| |
| | "Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| | | My Ipomoea alba vine has sported a purple ruffled mutation or
| something.
| | | Has anyone here seen this before? Is there hope that any seeds
that
| may
| | | set from these flowers will produce a vine with similar flowers?
| | |

Old 14-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Mark Herbert

In article t,
"SVTKate" wrote:

Thanks for the info Mark
I planted my Moonflowers on the stair rail leading off the back porch. I
have not seen ANYTHING coming to visit them but they are making seed pods,
so they are obviously being pollinated.

I'm pretty sure individual flowers can self-pollinate, but they do
require insect (or perhaps bat) vectors to cross-pollinate, I'd reckon.

What part of the country are you in that you get these wonderful creatures?

Albuquerque, in 'The Land of Enchantment'. I'm particularly fond of the
abundance of hummingbirds here, and plan my gardens with them and the
moths and butterflies in mind. Here are a few pictures I took two
months ago

http://tinyurl.com/6qwlv

I will upload some pics of what became of things when I get a chance.

Where do you live?

Kate

"Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| In article ,
| "SVTKate" wrote:
|
| Dang! Those are pretty!
| Do you think that maybe they have cross polinated with a Morning Glory
maybe
| or a stray MG wove itself in?
|
| The first thing I ruled out was a volunteer Morning Glory. I traced the
| purple-flowered tendril back to the main vine and all the other branches
| are producing typical large white flowers. The purple flowers seem
| confused about what time of day they prefer to open, some open late
| afternoon and some early morning. They have flower buds that don't look
| like either Morning Glory or Moonflower. I grew these vines from first
| generation store-bought seed, and the vines are normal in all respects
| other than the single purple flowering branch, so it must just be a
| sport. Freaky. Nice.
|
| Are they visibly on the same vine both purple and white?
| If they do make seeds, I'd sure like to get my hands on a few.
|
| About eight flowers have come and gone so far, and none have set seed.
| I think the flowers are self-sterile. I'm gonna try a few hand
| pollinations between the purple and white flowers and if I get any seeds
| I'll grow them out and if I get something unique I will be glad to share
| seeds. A normally sized and shaped purple Moonflower would sure be a
| hit in my book. May take some time, but I'll keep you all informed.
|
| When I was just a little Kate my Grandma had a moonflower. As youngins
my
| two cousins and I would go down and watch them open, it was like magic.
|
| I sit on my front porch swing and watch them open. Almost every evening
| little hummingbird moths swing by, and later in the night my Moonflowers
| and Daturas are frequently visited by huge sphinx moths.
|
| Thanks for sharing the photos
|
| My pleasure!
|
| Kate
|
| "Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| | I've modified the links and they should work now.
| |
| | In article .net,
| | "SVTKate" wrote:
| |
| | Your links pop up as an email address....
| | why not just post a link to the pics?
| |
| | Kate
| |

Old 14-09-2004, 03:39 PM
starlord

That's a photo of the pu truck I spent my savings to buy and by this last
july was dead with a broken engine. I live out in the High Desert now down
where everyone has postage stamp lawns, my garden in on 5ac's of Desert
field of which I have about 100 x 100ft area to use. No not moving, couldn't
if I wanted too, and with 300+ clean nights a year my major telescope gets a
lot of work too. But now without wheels, it's walking to the store , doc,
etc. for me and the supermarket walk is a 8 mile round trip. I've got to
re-write that page, and add my cybershop address's to it.

Blast Off Cybershop
http://www.cafeshops.com/starlords

In the Garden Gift Shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/InGarden

Astronomy-net shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/Astronomy_net

Old 14-09-2004, 03:46 PM
starlord

If I could read Japanese I could figure out more about it, but it's been
growing and blooming all summer, but is already showing signs of die back
for fall. I hope to save the roots in a pot over winter inside my trailer
and see if I can bring it back to life next spring. Main thing, none of the
Japanese MG's I got have set seed, in fact two of them are growing better
nowthat I've moved their pots into the shade of the elm tree out front, they
didn't much care for the full sun.

Old 15-09-2004, 06:10 AM
starlord

"starlord" wrote in message
That's a photo of the pu truck I spent my savings to buy and by this last
july was dead with a broken engine. I live out in the High Desert now down

( NOW should have been NOT)

Old 15-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Bill

"starlord" wrote in message
news

"starlord" wrote in message
That's a photo of the pu truck I spent my savings to buy and by this last
july was dead with a broken engine. I live out in the High Desert now
down

( NOW should have been NOT)
where everyone has postage stamp lawns, my garden in on 5ac's of Desert
field of which I have about 100 x 100ft area to use. No not moving,

couldn't
if I wanted too, and with 300+ clean nights a year my major telescope
gets

lot of work too. But now without wheels, it's walking to the store , doc,
etc. for me and the supermarket walk is a 8 mile round trip. I've got to
re-write that page, and add my cybershop address's to it.

So what is the deal, are you looking for donations or just complaining
because your truck broke down.

Those postage stamp lawns must look pretty good about now, considering that
where you live is an 8 mile walk to the store!

Bill

Old 16-09-2004, 01:05 AM
starlord

I've re-writen the page. it's all spelled out now.

At lest out here no one tells me what I can or can't plant or if I can have
one or two cars/trucks in the driveway. I'm in a small trailer park out
here.

--

"Bill" wrote in message
So what is the deal, are you looking for donations or just complaining
because your truck broke down.

Those postage stamp lawns must look pretty good about now, considering

that
where you live is an 8 mile walk to the store!

Bill

---

[IMG] code is On

Ipomoea (moonflower) vine Puddin' Man Gardening 5 22-10-2007 12:05 AM
Moonflower bush (Datura) Puddin' Man Gardening 7 18-10-2007 07:22 PM
MoonFlower Starlord Garden Photos 2 18-06-2007 08:08 PM
Moonflower in Michigan simy1 Gardening 8 08-10-2006 03:39 AM
Moonflower question Gary Gardening 4 10-02-2005 12:33 AM