Old 12-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Peter Brown

Default Hedging plant for clay soil

I've tried unsuccessfully for years to grow Viburnum as a hedge in my front
garden and have just dug up the soil to discover that the soil is heavy clay
after about 6-7 inches. The top 6 inches has clumps of clay in it. Can
anybody suggest a good hedge for a site that gets good amounts of sunshine.
Somebody suggested a PYRACANTHA (especially Mohave). Any comments??

Old 12-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Victoria Clare

"Peter Brown" wrote in
:

I've tried unsuccessfully for years to grow Viburnum as a hedge in my
front garden and have just dug up the soil to discover that the soil
is heavy clay after about 6-7 inches. The top 6 inches has clumps of
clay in it. Can anybody suggest a good hedge for a site that gets good
amounts of sunshine. Somebody suggested a PYRACANTHA (especially
Mohave). Any comments??

Pyracantha certainly makes a great hedge and is tolerant of heavy clay:
make sure you have really thick gloves for pruning though, and give young
plants a good start by making a biggish hole rather than just hacking a
lump out of the clay.

Roses usually like heavy clays - what about mixing in a rugosa type rose
hedge for flowers and rosehips? It's not evergreen, but it would be easier
to prune than the pyracantha.

Victoria
Old 12-09-2004, 10:22 PM
paghat

In article , "Peter Brown"
wrote:

I've tried unsuccessfully for years to grow Viburnum as a hedge in my front
garden and have just dug up the soil to discover that the soil is heavy clay
after about 6-7 inches. The top 6 inches has clumps of clay in it. Can
anybody suggest a good hedge for a site that gets good amounts of sunshine.
Somebody suggested a PYRACANTHA (especially Mohave). Any comments??

Why not turn the soil in the whole area to a foot depth, mix in some good
compost or peat, & maybe even raise the bed a little with good soil that
will get better drainage. There's not much that would ever be hedgeable
that would want to grow in six inches of soil. Pyracantha maybe.
Franchett's cotoneaster would grow large swiftly & well, but it's a
fountaining shrub & couldn't be hedged square. Others that make good
screening shrubs but don't hedge into artificial squares would include
shrubby winter honeysuckle, western serviceberry, twinberry, or contorted
hazels. But working the soil beforehand, you could stick to your first
choice of viburnums.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 12-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Peter Brown

When I said hedging, I didn't mean a formal hedge, but rather a high
screening shrub. Something that would grow to about 5-6 feet high.

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 12-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Peter Brown
writes
I've tried unsuccessfully for years to grow Viburnum as a hedge in my front
garden and have just dug up the soil to discover that the soil is heavy clay
after about 6-7 inches. The top 6 inches has clumps of clay in it. Can
anybody suggest a good hedge for a site that gets good amounts of sunshine.
Somebody suggested a PYRACANTHA (especially Mohave). Any comments??

You have chosen unwisely.
And how deep did you plant these poor unfortunate hedging shrubs?

Among the things suitable for hedges that grow well in our heavy clay
soil are pyracantha, privet, holly, beech, cotoneaster, yew and
hornbeam. I reckon they look best planted in segments about 3-4 metres
long all the same species.

Depending on how thorny or toxic you like your plants some may be
inappropriate choices for your garden.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 13-09-2004, 12:16 AM
anton

"Peter Brown" wrote in message
I've tried unsuccessfully for years to grow Viburnum as a hedge in my

front
garden and have just dug up the soil to discover that the soil is heavy

clay
after about 6-7 inches. The top 6 inches has clumps of clay in it. Can
anybody suggest a good hedge for a site that gets good amounts of

sunshine.
Somebody suggested a PYRACANTHA (especially Mohave). Any comments??

Hornbeam will do fine. Deciduous, but leaves retained in winter.

--
Anton

Old 13-09-2004, 03:57 AM
David Ross

Peter Brown wrote:

I've tried unsuccessfully for years to grow Viburnum as a hedge in my front
garden and have just dug up the soil to discover that the soil is heavy clay
after about 6-7 inches. The top 6 inches has clumps of clay in it. Can
anybody suggest a good hedge for a site that gets good amounts of sunshine.
Somebody suggested a PYRACANTHA (especially Mohave). Any comments??

In my garden, I have really heavy adobe clay. The following shrubs
seem to thrive and can make nice, informal hedges:

Burford holly (Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii Nana'), 3-4 feet

Eugenia (Syzygium paniculatum), 3-5 feet

Rhaphiolepis indica, 4-5 feet

Nerium oleander, 4-15 feet (depending on variety)

southern indica azalea, 2-3 feet

myrtle (Myrtus communis), 2-6 feet (depending on variety)

Pittosporum tobira, 3-15 feet (depending on variety)

Note, however, I keep adding much gypsum around some of these to
lighten soil and improve the drainage. This is especially
important for azalea. I can't do it for the oleander because it is
on a steep hill that I had to have regraded; gypsum might weaken
the slope by undoing the compaction that was needed to keep the
slope in place.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 13-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Brigitte

"Peter Brown" wrote in message
When I said hedging, I didn't mean a formal hedge, but rather a high
screening shrub. Something that would grow to about 5-6 feet high.

I'm looking for something along the same lines, but mine needs to be able to
tolerate mostly shade. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Zone 5, clay soil...

Thanks,
Brigitte

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 13-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Brigitte

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Brigitte" writes:
| "Peter Brown" wrote in message
| When I said hedging, I didn't mean a formal hedge, but rather a high
| screening shrub. Something that would grow to about 5-6 feet high.
|
| I'm looking for something along the same lines, but mine needs to be

able to
| tolerate mostly shade. Anyone have any ideas for me?
|
| Zone 5, clay soil...

That's the tube zone 5, I assume, so outer London. Someone from
Kent or thereabouts needs to answer that. There certainly are
suitable hedging plants for clay, but pretty well nothing will
thicken up in shade in the UK, and the combination of our low
light levels and shade is a nightmare.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sorry, that's zone 5 in the U.S. More specific, southeast Nebraska.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 13-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Nick Maclaren

Old 13-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Brigitte" writes:
| Sorry, I didn't realize I was replying to a cross-post

Sorry, nor did I :-)

Except for the Pacific north-west, there really isn't a lot of
overlap on hedging plant requirements between the USA and UK.
Some of the ones we grow will do well in many places there; others
will die during the first winter or summer. And the same thing
applies conversely - anything that takes clay here has to be
SERIOUSLY resistant to its roots standing under water for months
at a time.

And I mentioned the problem of the darkness in shade :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Vox Humana

"Brigitte" writes:
| Sorry, I didn't realize I was replying to a cross-post

Sorry, nor did I :-)

Except for the Pacific north-west, there really isn't a lot of
overlap on hedging plant requirements between the USA and UK.
Some of the ones we grow will do well in many places there; others
will die during the first winter or summer. And the same thing
applies conversely - anything that takes clay here has to be
SERIOUSLY resistant to its roots standing under water for months
at a time.

I think the problem is more related to the water than the clay alone. I
have six varieties of vibunmum growing well in my heavy clay soil but my
yard is on a slope and there is never any standing water. I did have some
viburnum Judii succumbed to root rot because they were improperly planted.

Old 13-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Vox Humana wrote:

Except for the Pacific north-west, there really isn't a lot of
overlap on hedging plant requirements between the USA and UK.
Some of the ones we grow will do well in many places there; others
will die during the first winter or summer. And the same thing
applies conversely - anything that takes clay here has to be
SERIOUSLY resistant to its roots standing under water for months
at a time.

I think the problem is more related to the water than the clay alone. I
have six varieties of vibunmum growing well in my heavy clay soil but my
yard is on a slope and there is never any standing water. I did have some
viburnum Judii succumbed to root rot because they were improperly planted.

That is part of the point. Because there is effectively NO evaporation
during the winter, and fairly little during spring and autumn, even
clay slopes get saturated and stay saturated for at least some number
of months. God help me, even my 60% sand soil does (though it is on
the flat).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.