Old 12-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Rob

Default yellow jacket nest, cant reach

somewhere under the eaves of my house on the first floor is a nest. the
yellow jackets swarm all over the area and are starting to chase me and my
wife when we come in and out of the house (its a duplex, we're on the second
floor). they are also starting to get into the neighbors house on the first
floor. i cant see the nest, ive sprayed a couple of cans of raid into the
hole in the wood they are flying in and out of, but no luck. i cant plug up
the hole or they'll all just use the exit into our neighbors house. what do
i need to kill them? thanks!

Old 13-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Rob

yes, yes, i like to learn to do things myself though if it's reasonable to
do so before just picking up a phone and writing a check.

om...

Old 13-09-2004, 03:01 AM
zxcvbob

Rob wrote:

yes, yes, i like to learn to do things myself though if it's reasonable to
do so before just picking up a phone and writing a check.

If you really gotta kill 'em, use just about any insecticide dust or
powder (not granules), and toss a goodly pinch in the hole. (best to do
it in the evening) Sevin dust ought to work well, but it's not always a
good choice because it stains.

Bob
Old 13-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Rob

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Rob wrote:

yes, yes, i like to learn to do things myself though if it's reasonable
to do so before just picking up a phone and writing a check.

If you really gotta kill 'em, use just about any insecticide dust or
powder (not granules), and toss a goodly pinch in the hole. (best to do it
in the evening) Sevin dust ought to work well, but it's not always a good
choice because it stains.

Bob

thanks, i have no choice, they are chasing me and my pregnant wife whenever
we come in
and out of the house and have already stung the downstairs neighbor. i've
called a bunch
of exterminators and they're all quoting me $175-$250 since the nest isn't
visable (who the
heck would call for a visable nest when Raid is $5 a can). I'll see if I
can find a place with
Sevin dust and give it a shot myself.

Old 13-09-2004, 04:05 PM
zxcvbob

Rob wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Rob wrote:

[...]

You don't need much poison at all, but you do need to get it all over
the place up there so if you miss the nest (and you probably will) the
wasps will walk through the powder on their way in and out and get it on
thier feet. You want something that doesn't act too fast; the YJ's will
track it into the nest and poison the whole hive when grooming.

Good luck, and best regards,
Bob
Old 13-09-2004, 08:51 PM
SVTKate

Call your landlord, and have them call an exterminator.
That's why they get paid the big bucks

Kate

Old 13-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Rob

the landlord wanted to send her son to fix it. her son wanted to block up
the opening, disregarding the fact that the bees were coming out another
opening somewhere into the downstairs apartment. thankfully the son
apparently forgot to "fix" things. we told the landlord we'd call an
exterminator, but no way she'll pay $175-$250, so screw it, i'll do it
myself. i have the sevin now and the duster. just waiting for dark. cost
about $40 for the two.

k.net...

Old 13-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Pat Jordan

Yellow jackets won't swarm after the sun goes down. The best way to destroy
a nest is pour gasoline in the hole and light it. I know you can't do that
where your nest is located, so I guess your other alternative is to have
your landlord bring in an exterminator.

Old 13-09-2004, 11:45 PM
zxcvbob

Rob wrote:
the landlord wanted to send her son to fix it. her son wanted to block up
the opening, disregarding the fact that the bees were coming out another
opening somewhere into the downstairs apartment. thankfully the son
apparently forgot to "fix" things. we told the landlord we'd call an
exterminator, but no way she'll pay $175-$250, so screw it, i'll do it
myself. i have the sevin now and the duster. just waiting for dark. cost
about $40 for the two.

$40? It should have only cost a few dollars for the sevin, and 99¢ for
a turkey baster. (I usually don't bother with the turkey baster and
just throw a pinch of insecticide powder down the YJ hole with my fingers.)

I killed a huge nest of them that way a couple of years ago. They were
under the neighbor's sidewalk (I don't know how they just appeared there
suddenly) and they were stinging passers-by. The neighbor tried burning
them out with gasoline and was lucky he didn't set himself on fire. It
just ****ed off the YJ's, and *maybe* killed a couple of them. I waited
until almost dark and threw about a teaspoon of methoxychlor dust (a
general purpose farm insecicide sometimes used on cattle) in the crack
where they were going in and out. The next day, there were no more wasps.

I'm sure the $30-something duster you bought will do a good job too...

Bob

Old 14-09-2004, 01:36 AM
Rob

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Rob wrote:
[...]

i wasnt getting any closer than i had to, no way i could get up there with a
turkey baster (i thought of that) without a ladder. besides, im sending
the bill to the landlord anyway, she's paying for the $35 duster. the way i
look at it, i just saved her around $200.

Old 14-09-2004, 01:37 AM
Rob

"Pat Jordan" wrote in message
Yellow jackets won't swarm after the sun goes down. The best way to
destroy
a nest is pour gasoline in the hole and light it. I know you can't do
that
where your nest is located, so I guess your other alternative is to have
your landlord bring in an exterminator.

mr. fire inspector, i was just trying to kill the bees, not torch the house.
no, really, i'm not an arsonist!!!

Old 14-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Cereus-validus

Have you been video taping all your antics trying to save money trying to do
this? You'd be a shoe-in to win the jackpot on America's Funniest Videos!!!
That's providing you don't kill yourself or cause your pregnant wife to have
a miscarriage in the process. This is starting to sound wackier that a
Laurel & Hardy movie!!!!

Old 14-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Hound Dog

"Rob" wrote in message news:Xsh1d.7852$sX2.6348@trndny09...

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Rob wrote:

[...]

Why do you have to come up with all the money and do the work by yourself?
Your down stair neighbor should split the cost and the work with you, or go
in half on the cost of having the work done professionally.

I think the guy that advised you to get a professional exterminator gave you
the right advice. You are about to take on a job that you really are not
qualified to do. Subjecting a pregnant wife to chemicals is also a very dumb
thing to do.

If I were you I would get several bids, call in the cheapest one, have the
work done then submit the bill to your landlord and neighbor.

Old 14-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Rob

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Rob wrote:
[...]

thanks much, no bees anywhere in sight today .