GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Red Rockery Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83561-red-rockery-plant.html)

Steve 14-09-2004 10:11 AM

Red Rockery Plant

Hello,
Can anyone suggest a plant with/for the following...

Rock garden
Low growing
Spreading
Red flowers
Flowers in summer
Hardy
Based in UK Northen England

Quite demanding I know but I just thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Steve

Cheryl Isaak 14-09-2004 12:46 PM

I have a red flowering thyme that has been quite hardy here in New
Hampshire. No idea of the cultivar name, I got the start from a friend, who
got it from a friend.

Cheryl

Pam - gardengal 14-09-2004 03:38 PM

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
Can anyone suggest a plant with/for the following...

Rock garden
Low growing
Spreading
Red flowers
Flowers in summer
Hardy
Based in UK Northen England

Quite demanding I know but I just thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Steve

Sunrose or Helianthemum nummularium will fit all your requrements. Very
hardy; low spreading evergreen foliage, ideally suited for a rock garden or
wall where it can spread or cascade. Small, tissue-paper thin flowers appear
over a long period in late spring and early summer. Lots of cultivars and
flower colors to choose from - 'Henfield Brilliant' has large, coppery-red
flowers, 'Ben Ledi' has smaller, true flowers, 'Fireball' has smaller double
red flowers and 'Cherries Jubilee' has double cherry-red flowers.

Shear off old flower stalks after the bloom period and you will get another
flush of flowers in late summer or early autumn.

pam - gardengal

paghat 14-09-2004 04:57 PM

In article CnD1d.175627$9d6.5286@attbi_s54, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

I'd second Pam's choice as I'm a huge fan of these groundcover sunroses
that produce such splendid blooms & almost never need watering, but do
need a good sunny spot. "Fireball" has been a perpetual bloomer in my
garden, & the blooms are super-red (very small pompoms; the non-doubles
actually have the more dramatic flowers but not as persistent as are the
sterile pompoms).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

ook 15-09-2004 12:52 AM

In the PNW, Sedums or Lewisia work just great in those conditions, given adequate drainage.

Pam - gardengal 15-09-2004 01:35 AM

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from (Steve) contains these words:

Hello,
Can anyone suggest a plant with/for the following...

Rock garden
Low growing
Spreading
Red flowers
Flowers in summer
Hardy
Based in UK Northen England

Quite demanding I know but I just thought I'd ask.

You'd do better to ask in uk.rec.gardening, because most of the
gardeners here don't garden in the UK.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but why can't he ask here? Are the plants
in the UK unique to that country? Hardy is hardy and there are many areas of
the UK that will experience weather extremes and/or climate conditions
similar (not identical, but similar) to parts of the US or even other parts
of the world that are reflected by posters here. There are scores of rock
garden and alpine plant societies that are international in their membership
and that share plants and planting tips freely.

FWIW, of the suggestions provided so far, the sedum and thyme are hardy
to -39C and the helianthemum to -23C. Certainly one of those should qualify.

pam - gardengal

Cereus-validus 15-09-2004 02:18 AM

Not Lewisia. None of them are spreading plants.

Only a few Sedum or former Sedum have red flowers.

Steve 15-09-2004 01:30 PM

Thanks all for the advice.
This is my second post here and the responce is amazing, very friendly
group (apart from Cereus-validus, who lowered the tone a little).

Sunrose's and Sedum both look and sound just right, I'll have a look
at what I can find locally and then decide.

Thanks again

Cereus-validus 15-09-2004 02:33 PM

Hey, sweet pea.

Yeah, go and check out what your local plant nurseries have. Its such a
crazy idea, it just might work!!!

It was that nasty troll Janet Baraclough who made the disparaging remarks
about American gardeners not me.

If you don't agree with her, just say so.

om...

Steve 16-09-2004 10:04 AM

Thanks for your support Cereus,
Crazy as it sounds, we're not all experts in gardening, in fact some
of us only have a shared yard and an interest in making it look a
little better for everyone. Which, thanks to the info I've recieved
here, I've done quite well.

For your info, I get advice on plants from books and from this
newsgroup. Find the right plant for the right location and then visit
a local nursery to buy it. What is so wrong with that???

No idea what Janet Baraclough said, I think it must have been removed.
So I know if I agree, so I cannot say.

Anyway, lets move this on please... I done a little reading and here
(in northen England) I am in Zone 8. Temps dropping to about -6 to -12

Thank you

Cereus-validus 17-09-2004 03:11 AM

Yeah sure.

Everyone should be a total asshole like know-nothing Bill the pill!!! You
can be sure he will be voting for Dubya providing the red-neck doesn't have
a criminal record!!!

"Bill" wrote in message
Do as most have done here, put the fool Cereus-validus in you kill-file,

he
is only a troll!

Bill

m...

Pen 18-09-2004 05:43 AM

One last suggestion? Take a look at dianthus, some are ground hugging
perennials with red flowers.