Old 14-09-2004, 02:10 PM
lbbss

Default Fertilizer spreader clogs? any advice?

I have a newer scotts fertilizer spreader. I always seams to clog up.
I think it is due to slight more in the fertilizer. I keep it in my
aluminum shed ( in the original plastic bag). I seal the opened bag with
duck take when in storage. I tryied drying it out by putting a smaller
amount in a plastic bucket, but it still has a bit of moisture in it.
Anyone else have this problem? Should I be storing the fertilizer
differently. Can I still salvage this big bag of fertilizer, but drying
it somehow? In the summer there is always moisture in the air, so how
can you avoid this problem?

Old 14-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Doug Kanter

If it's JUST FERTILIZER, not weed/bug killer, maybe you could find a spot in
the house where a small amount could be stored and dried until ready to use.
Got a dehumidifier in the basement?

Old 14-09-2004, 06:21 PM
lbbss

Yes, but since it is humid in the summer time, you would this this would be
a problem with everyone. How do most people store their fertilizer, in
the original bag?

Old 14-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Doug Kanter

I store granular fertilizer in its original bag, on top of cinder blocks to
keep it off the garage floor. Another option would be to adjust the spreader
to a lower setting, meaning that the feed slot would be smaller. That should
force more of the clumped up granules into contact with the agitator or
whatever it's called. You'd have to make more passes to compensate for the
lower dose, but most people could use to walk more anyway. :-)

Old 15-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:10:40 -0400, "lbbss" wrote:

I have a newer scotts fertilizer spreader. I always seams to clog up.
I think it is due to slight more in the fertilizer. I keep it in my
aluminum shed ( in the original plastic bag). I seal the opened bag with
duck take when in storage. I tryied drying it out by putting a smaller
amount in a plastic bucket, but it still has a bit of moisture in it.
Anyone else have this problem? Should I be storing the fertilizer
differently. Can I still salvage this big bag of fertilizer, but drying
it somehow? In the summer there is always moisture in the air, so how
can you avoid this problem?

Just like any salt, it attracts moisture and clumps up. If you can
store the fertilizer in a low humidity environment, that will
certainly help. I applied 18 bags of lime (purchased yesterday) to
the lawn today, and what lumps I could not break up with my fist, I
used a mallet.

Old 19-09-2004, 01:42 PM
TOM KAN PA

When I read the Subject line of the OP, I thought it was in regard to what
clogs ( a shoe, sandal, or overshoe having a thick typically wooden sole) to
wear when spredding fertilizer.