GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   grapes are taking over my yard (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83586-grapes-taking-over-my-yard.html)

i.r.e 14-09-2004 08:31 PM

grapes are taking over my yard

when is the best time to prune grape vines? i recently bought a property
where the grapes, and other fruit, have been left to take over the yard and
they are.

Roy 14-09-2004 11:05 PM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:31:45 -0700, "i.r.e" wrote:

===when is the best time to prune grape vines? i recently bought a property
===where the grapes, and other fruit, have been left to take over the yard and
===they are.
===

I sure wish I had that problem with grapes.......

There is a certai way top prune them, or you canmake em loose a lot of
fruit, and just make more vines without many grapes. I found a good
website with google on pruning grapes so you may want to do a google
search. I can't find that URL or I would post it.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Paul E. Lehmann 15-09-2004 12:01 AM

i.r.e wrote:

when is the best time to prune grape vines? i recently bought a property
where the grapes, and other fruit, have been left to take over the yard
and they are.

Prune when the vines are dormant.
I don't know where you live but for a lot of places in the U.S. this is
between the months of December and March.

For a GOOD book on growing and pruning, get the book "From Vines to Wines"
by Jeff Cox. It is inexpensive and an excellent, easy to understand book.

Jenny 15-09-2004 12:02 AM

Are they really grapes? I just read in the paper that there is an invasive
weed, Porcelainberry, that looks like grapes and is related to grapes, but
isn't the kind of grape you can eat. It takes over everything and strangles
trees. It looks like it grows in the East in zone 6 or 7 and further south.

Get an ID to be sure. If it's the invasive stuff, you'll have to get
aggressive to get rid of it.

--
Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
hba1c 5.7 .

Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

[email protected] 15-09-2004 03:53 PM

for "production" prune in early spring I go out when there is still snow on the
ground like in March. I use the curtain method.
http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/gra...ing_basics.htm

BUT... right now you can whack away at that thing to get it under control just leave
two arms about 3 feet long in opposite direction. Usually by this time of year I
have cut up the vines to keep them off the ground and removed quite a bit of the
extra vines so the sun gets to the bunches of grapes. Ingrid

"i.r.e" wrote:

when is the best time to prune grape vines? i recently bought a property
where the grapes, and other fruit, have been left to take over the yard and
they are.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Snooze 18-09-2004 03:09 AM

"i.r.e" wrote in message
when is the best time to prune grape vines? i recently bought a property
where the grapes, and other fruit, have been left to take over the yard

and
they are.

This time of year, grape vines grow like crazy. We have a grape vine that
grows on top of the a gazebo, every few weeks I cut back the vines that come
down too low. If I don't, I end up with a garden that looks more like an
Amazon jungle. Just make sure you're not cutting the vines with grapes on
them.

Snooze