Old 17-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Doug Kanter

"DavesVideo" wrote in message
Doug Kanter said:

neighbors who've been here for 20+ years say they've never seen deer

during
the hours when kids would be out playing and might approach the garden.

So,
I thought I'd probably put the electric fence on a timer. I understand

that
the fence is unlikely to harm a person

I wouldn't wory about those kids unless one of them has a pacemaker.

My
small unit runs at 1000 Volts and the big one at 5000, but the current is
miniscule. Touching the fence is about equivalent to the shock you get

when you
scuff your feet on a rug. That static electricity jolt, by-the-way is

about
50,000 volts, but the only way you can get hurt is if you happen to be

picking
up a gas can.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Yeah....I know. But, there are people who have built lives around refusing
to learn. Given a choice between a 20 minute pointless conversation, and
spending $20 on a timer, I'll go for the timer. :-)

Another example: When I got my pistol permit, my ex wife kept crabbing about
"What if the gun goes off by itself?" (when my son's at my house). I told
her the holster completely covered the trigger, and that the gun was in a
locked metal box. "Well....if it goes off by itself, won't the bullet go
through the box?" Told her it was unloaded when locked up. "What if you
leave a round in the chamber". Told her "I check it twice, in case I'm
tired". "Do kid's name and his friends know where the key is???" Told her
"Of course. How can they play with the gun if they can't get it out of the
box???" That usually has the same effect as the timer for the electric
fence. End of silly conversation. :-)

Old 17-09-2004, 09:39 PM
zxcvbob

DavesVideo wrote:

Doug Kanter said:

neighbors who've been here for 20+ years say they've never seen deer during
the hours when kids would be out playing and might approach the garden. So,
I thought I'd probably put the electric fence on a timer. I understand that
the fence is unlikely to harm a person

I wouldn’t wory about those kids unless one of them has a pacemaker. My
small unit runs at 1000 Volts and the big one at 5000, but the current is
miniscule. Touching the fence is about equivalent to the shock you get when you
scuff your feet on a rug. That static electricity jolt, by-the-way is about
50,000 volts, but the only way you can get hurt is if you happen to be picking
up a gas can.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Have you touched the fence, or assume it's like a static shock?
My fencer zaps like touching the sparkplug on a mower or chain saw.
Maybe worse. I don't run it very much of the time.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 17-09-2004, 10:22 PM
DavesVideo

Have you touched the fence, or assume it's like a static shock?
My fencer zaps like touching the sparkplug on a mower or chain saw.

From time to time I touch it by accident. You are right, it is a bit more
than a static shock, because that lasts for a tiny fraction of a second, while
the fence is a sustained current. It still is not enough to do any harm, but
I'm not sure if it could effect a pacemaker. I don't think any of the kids or
deer for that matter have one. :-)

Old 19-09-2004, 02:49 PM
enigma

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

That's sort of what I was thinking: Don't ask, don't tell.
Besides, the neighbors who've been here for 20+ years say
they've never seen deer during the hours when kids would be
out playing and might approach the garden. So, I thought
I'd probably put the electric fence on a timer. I
understand that the fence is unlikely to harm a person, but
tell that to a mommy. If I can point to a timer, all should
be peaceful.

the only way a properly installed electric fence could really
hurt a person is if they had a mechanical pacemaker. we have
electric stock fence on one minute pulse (i went 2 years
before i got a shock & then it was because we had a faulty
ground & the gate got charged. i was barefoot...). Tom hit the
hot wire with his forehead bending over to pick up a rock &
saw some pretty good stars & my 4 year old hit the fence with
his umbrella Saturday. it scared him more than hurt.
yeah, a timer should solve your nanny city problem though.
lee

--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still
differentiate
Old 22-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Bob S.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer
will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm
entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm
interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a
specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid
that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.
-Doug

I run 4 strands, 6", 2', 4', and 6'. Chargers come "continuous" or
"pulsed". I use a pulsed one for safety reasons - the current is off
long enough for you to get loose from it if needed. One of the old
tricks is cutting strips of tin foil, clothes pinning them to the hot
wire, and rubbing peanut butter on them. A deer or other animal needs
only one shock to the tongue to learn to stay away.
I have lots of deer on my property, but they have learned to stay out
of the garden. Haven't had one in there in years now.

Bob S.

Old 23-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Doug Kanter

"Richard Schopps" wrote in message
t...
Will this type of fence out woodchuckS?

Don't they eat bugs & slugs?

Old 23-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Jim Elbrecht

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Richard Schopps" wrote in message
et...
Will this type of fence out woodchuckS?

Don't they eat bugs & slugs?

I though they were vegans. But even if they eat bugs [nothing eats
slugs, do they?], they also enjoy cucumber vines, pepper plants,
zucchini, beans, peas & most every other vegetable you might try to
grow.

Jim
Old 23-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Doug Kanter

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Richard Schopps" wrote in message
et...
Will this type of fence out woodchuckS?

Don't they eat bugs & slugs?

I though they were vegans. But even if they eat bugs [nothing eats
slugs, do they?], they also enjoy cucumber vines, pepper plants,
zucchini, beans, peas & most every other vegetable you might try to
grow.

Jim

OK....so THAT'S why the varmint industry exists (rifles & ammo of certain
types), and farmers make it a sport to assassinate woodchucks!

Old 23-09-2004, 01:42 PM
enigma

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Richard Schopps" wrote in
message
et...
Will this type of fence out woodchuckS?

Don't they eat bugs & slugs?

I though they were vegans. But even if they eat bugs
[nothing eats slugs, do they?], they also enjoy cucumber
vines, pepper plants, zucchini, beans, peas & most every
other vegetable you might try to grow.

OK....so THAT'S why the varmint industry exists (rifles &
ammo of certain types), and farmers make it a sport to
assassinate woodchucks!

yeah, that & the big holes they dig in the pastures that
livestock can break thier legs in...
would you rather shoot the woodchuck or your prize filly?
lee
BTW, an electric fence won't keep a woodchuck out of the
garden. they'll just tunnel under it. and geese will sometimes
eat slugs...

Old 23-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Doug Kanter

"enigma" wrote in message
.. .
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Richard Schopps" wrote in
message
et...
Will this type of fence out woodchuckS?

Don't they eat bugs & slugs?

I though they were vegans. But even if they eat bugs
[nothing eats slugs, do they?], they also enjoy cucumber
vines, pepper plants, zucchini, beans, peas & most every
other vegetable you might try to grow.

OK....so THAT'S why the varmint industry exists (rifles &
ammo of certain types), and farmers make it a sport to
assassinate woodchucks!

yeah, that & the big holes they dig in the pastures that
livestock can break thier legs in...
would you rather shoot the woodchuck or your prize filly?
lee
BTW, an electric fence won't keep a woodchuck out of the
garden. they'll just tunnel under it. and geese will sometimes
eat slugs...

I'd rather shoot the woodchuck, particularly since I have a recipe for them.
And geese....I'd strangle them with my bare hands, if necessary. Any
creature that makes turds which blend into the grass is pure evil.

Old 23-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Brandon

where can i get a bullet proofs frence
Old 23-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Bob S.

"Richard Schopps" wrote in message et...
Will this type of fence out woodchuckS?

Rich

That's why the lower strand is at 6 inches - to keep the smaller
critters out. Haven't found anything to keep the squirrels out of the
corn though.

Bob S.
Old 23-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bob S." wrote in message
om...
"Richard Schopps" wrote in message

et...
Will this type of fence out woodchuckS?

Rich

That's why the lower strand is at 6 inches - to keep the smaller
critters out. Haven't found anything to keep the squirrels out of the
corn though.

Bob S.

Havahart traps? And/or: In James Crockett's book, he suggests covering the
ears with paper bags after the silks have begun to brown. He says this will
keep out crows. No idea if perhaps some variation on this might work with
squirrels. Perhaps paper bags smeared with Elmer's glue and sprinkled with
cayenne pepper?

Old 24-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Bob S. said:

That's why the lower strand is at 6 inches - to keep the smaller
critters out. Haven't found anything to keep the squirrels out of the
corn though.

A fence with a small mesh that's topped with a couple of electric wires
will keep out fox squirrels. Small heavy-duty paper bags will ward off
birds. I've notice the local squirrels will always go over or under a fence
in preference to going through it -- even the small red squirrels which
you'd think should be able to slip through.

(Advice from experience: don't cheap out on the paper bags.)

(attributed to Don Marti)