GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Electric Fence Recommendations (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83628-electric-fence-recommendations.html)

Doug Kanter 15-09-2004 04:10 PM

Electric Fence Recommendations

I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer
will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm
entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm
interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a
specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid
that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.
-Doug

Lisa M. 15-09-2004 05:07 PM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:10:18 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer
will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm
entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm
interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a
specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid
that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.
-Doug

I can't recommend a specific brand, but be sure to get the electric fencing
that is the inch or so wide plastic with wires running through it, not just
single strand wire. We use a lot of electric fencing for our cattle, and the
deer seem to have problems seeing plain wire and will run right through a
fence. We hang plastic bags on the wire so the deer will see it and jump over
instead of running through and tearing down the fence. It works, but doesn't
look as nice as the wide fencing. That brings up another point - deer will
jump over, crawl under, and slide through a fence, so you'll want to be sure
to have strands high, low, and through the middle if you'll be planting deer
delicacies.

HTH,
Lisa M.
Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. - Grandma Moses

Bill R 15-09-2004 05:27 PM

Doug Kanter wrote:
I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer
will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm
entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm
interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a
specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid
that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.
-Doug

The first thing that you need to do is to check with the
local (city or county) authorities to make sure that they
are permitted in your area. When I stated checking around
here I was amazed how many areas now prohibit them (even
though the area is rural).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

zxcvbob 15-09-2004 06:17 PM

wrote:

I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer
will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm
entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm
interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a
specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid
that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.
-Doug

I have a Red Snap'r model 66 and I've been happy with it.

Bob

Doug Kanter 15-09-2004 06:52 PM

wrote:

[...]

Oh swell. This is gonna be more intricate than I thought! I'd like to take
the easy way out. I found out yesterday that I could probably get a variance
for an 8 foot chain link fence, but they're so damned ugly.

James 15-09-2004 08:23 PM

I think they have motion detectors for gardens that kick on the garden hose
to keep the critters away. If no water is available, maybe a jury rigged
solution of something else connected to it.

Doug Kanter 15-09-2004 08:50 PM

First of all, I understand animals quickly get used to being sprayed, and
begin laughing at it. Second, I have no interest in spraying animals with a
"solution of something else" which might harm them. Except dogs, of course.

Anonny Moose 15-09-2004 09:35 PM

Where deer pressure is high:
http://www.premier1supplies.com/stor...31&design_id=5

or where deer pressure is lower:
http://www.premier1supplies.com/stor...33&design_id=5

Anonny Moose 15-09-2004 09:40 PM

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message
Where deer pressure is high:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/stor...31&design_id=5

or where deer pressure is lower:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/stor...33&design_id=5

Also check this product if electric fencing isn't appropriate for your area:
http://www.electricfencecompany.com/...ble-fence.html

Phisherman 16-09-2004 12:21 AM

wrote:

I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer
will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm
entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm
interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a
specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid
that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.
-Doug

My garden electric fence is over 10 years old and still works well. I
had to replace the wire this year, but the solar plate and battery are
still going strong. I bought it at a farmer's co-op. It is designed
for cattle. About $100.

Pat Kiewicz 16-09-2004 01:00 PM

Doug Kanter said:

I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer
will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm
entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm
interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a
specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid
that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.

I've ordered stuff from Kencove (http://www.kencove.com/).

I use a Stafix charger. I use it with two hot strands on top of a 4 foot fence
to keep racoons and groundhogs from going over. (We once saw deer right
across the street but haven't had them in our yard, so far as I know.)

For deer you'd probably want more strands or even flat bands.

(attributed to Don Marti)

[email protected] 16-09-2004 05:34 PM

To protect against rabbits and deer, go with the fence (wooden or rabbit fencing
which "disappears" nicely when backed by shrubs) on the bottom and put the wires
above. We havent done electric fencing around my mothers property because of the
bitch next door who would probably run off screaming to the city so we used bird
netting and laid down that green vinyl covered square open wire fencing on the
outside. Deer dont like the feel of something coming up around their feet or legs.
we bend it to have a curve and use "earth stakes" to keep it down in place.
along the road deer were coming thru the fencing breaking it so we hammered in 10
foot conduit in an X in those spots and they have left the fence along there.
it is very true that deer dont have 3D and are wary about jumping a double fence.
Ingrid

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:
.. I use it with two hot strands on top of a 4 foot fence
to keep racoons and groundhogs from going over. (We once saw deer right
across the street but haven't had them in our yard, so far as I know.)

For deer you'd probably want more strands or even flat bands.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

DavesVideo 17-09-2004 12:03 AM

Bill R said;

The first thing that you need to do is to check with the

local (city or county) authorities to make sure that they
are permitted in your area. When I stated checking around
here I was amazed how many areas now prohibit them (even
though the area is rural).

Interesting, and that is the very reason I didn't check the rules. Someone
would have to come onto my property to know that I had one, and I figure it is
no one's business.

As far as brands: I have a small unit K.9. Brand around my vegetable garten and
a Big unit from TSC that protects a large flower and shade garden area.
Contrary to what others have recommended, I use a single strand of wire at
about 2.5 to 3 foot high (nose height). The deer have been leaving our stuff
alone for about 2 years now. They do occasionaly crash through and nock down
the fence and the next day, I just put it back up.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Doug Kanter 17-09-2004 01:40 PM

"DavesVideo" wrote in message
Bill R said;

[...]

That's sort of what I was thinking: Don't ask, don't tell. Besides, the
neighbors who've been here for 20+ years say they've never seen deer during
the hours when kids would be out playing and might approach the garden. So,
I thought I'd probably put the electric fence on a timer. I understand that
the fence is unlikely to harm a person, but tell that to a mommy. If I can
point to a timer, all should be peaceful.

DavesVideo 17-09-2004 10:21 PM

Doug Kanter said:

neighbors who've been here for 20+ years say they've never seen deer during
the hours when kids would be out playing and might approach the garden. So,
I thought I'd probably put the electric fence on a timer. I understand that
the fence is unlikely to harm a person

I wouldn’t wory about those kids unless one of them has a pacemaker. My
small unit runs at 1000 Volts and the big one at 5000, but the current is
miniscule. Touching the fence is about equivalent to the shock you get when you
scuff your feet on a rug. That static electricity jolt, by-the-way is about
50,000 volts, but the only way you can get hurt is if you happen to be picking
up a gas can.