GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to prepare for a hurricane (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83657-how-prepare-hurricane.html)

Bill Oliver 16-09-2004 02:54 AM

How to prepare for a hurricane

I recently (3 days ago) planted about 20 small (1-2gal) trees I
ordered by mail. Most have managed OK, but a few are dying
back a little. I think I could baby all but one or two back
before winter sets in.

However, hurricane Ivan is supposed to move over us in a
day or so. It will be nothing like what's happening on the
coast, but we are predicted to get 12 inches of rain and
80 mph gusts.

Any bright ideas out there on protecting my little saplings?

billo

SVTKate 16-09-2004 02:56 AM

I would pull them back up, gently tuck them back into pots and wait till the
planting conditions were more amiable.

Kate

Cereus-validus 16-09-2004 03:33 AM

Where on the planet are you?

Don't you dare give your hardiness zone.

Leave the plants in the ground. They are not worth risking your life over.

Cereus-validus 16-09-2004 03:37 AM

Do as I say not as I do?

I doubt that you yourself would go to all that trouble over some tree
seedlings.

They are not worth risking one's life over.

They will be better off if they are left in the ground.

ink.net...

Roy 16-09-2004 03:41 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:54:08 -0000, (Bill Oliver)
wrote:

===
===I recently (3 days ago) planted about 20 small (1-2gal) trees I
===ordered by mail. Most have managed OK, but a few are dying
===back a little. I think I could baby all but one or two back
===before winter sets in.
===
===However, hurricane Ivan is supposed to move over us in a
===day or so. It will be nothing like what's happening on the
===coast, but we are predicted to get 12 inches of rain and
===80 mph gusts.
===
===Any bright ideas out there on protecting my little saplings?
===
===billo

Hard to belive with all the projected pathgs maps out there you just
now find out Ivan is gonna head your way....As big a Ivan is and a
much info thats out thjere it should have been pretty obvious the
general direction Ivan was heading. Odds are your saplings will be
just fine as long as nothing fall on them. Then again even if you
knew Ivan was heading your way I still would havbe planted the trees
and got them out of the way......they are small and close to the
ground and no mass to them so they shold make it fine with winds, and
the rain is not gonna hurt them. If they do happen to get bent over
they will straighten back up in a short time when it all blows over.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

S. M. Henning 16-09-2004 04:27 AM

(Bill Oliver) wrote:

However, hurricane Ivan is supposed to move over us in a
day or so. It will be nothing like what's happening on the
coast, but we are predicted to get 12 inches of rain and
80 mph gusts.

Any bright ideas out there on protecting my little saplings?

We had a tornado go through forests and Christmas tree farms. All full
size trees were broken in half like match sticks. Christmas trees and
other seedlings were not damaged except by debris. I would recommend
placing a river rock mulch around the seedlings to keep the rain from
washing the dirt off the roots and the wind from pulling them out of the
ground, but the tops should make it. They are very flexible.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Bill Oliver 16-09-2004 01:58 PM

In article ,
Roy wrote:

Hard to belive with all the projected pathgs maps out there you just
now find out Ivan is gonna head your way....

It's not really a matter of the path as much as the projected remaining
strength. I live in the mountains in northern Georgia. *Most* of the
hurricanes that hit the southeast coast manage to wander over here;
it's just that they are all pretty much spent by the time they get
here. The hurricane that blew the roof off my brother-in-law's house a
couple of weeks ago dropped 3 inches of rain and blew over a dead pecan
tree in my yard. No big deal.

What's different this time is the projection that it is going to still
be pretty powerful and is going to get caught and sit on top of us for
awhile. The real danger is tornadoes at this point. In fact, it's
pretty dark and scary out there right now, and it's not scheduled to
be over until early Saturday.

billo

Phisherman 16-09-2004 05:52 PM

Leave them alone. The extra water will probably do them good. When
you get a chance, mulch the area around each tree, but keep the mulch
an inch or two away from the trunk. Compost makes excellent mulch,
and provides nutrients.

Chelsea Christenson 16-09-2004 06:32 PM

Bill Oliver wrote:

Any bright ideas out there on protecting my little saplings?

Have you seen Earl's post on storm-damaged trees? I'd say it lends more
weight to the "leave them alone" position.

Roy 17-09-2004 02:38 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:58:39 -0000, (Bill Oliver)
wrote:

===In article ,
===Roy wrote:
===
[...]

Old Ivan dumped 19 1/2" on me in less than 12 hours time.......Once he
got here I never thought he was gonna leave. I only suffered minor
damges to house and out buildings but have close to 2 dozen trees that
are gonna have to come down, and thats not counting the ones he took
down fully, The ones remaining are all 100+ foot tall long leaf pines
and oaks. The pines have ost of the limbs and tops busted out of them,
and the oaks are all leaning pretty bad, I have sandy soil so its not
gonna take much more for them to fall on their own..so they have to
come down.

Roy 17-09-2004 02:40 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:52:28 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

===Leave them alone. The extra water will probably do them good. When
===you get a chance, mulch the area around each tree, but keep the mulch
===an inch or two away from the trunk. Compost makes excellent mulch,
===and provides nutrients.
===
===
===On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:54:08 -0000, (Bill Oliver)
===wrote:
===
===
===I recently (3 days ago) planted about 20 small (1-2gal) trees I
===ordered by mail. Most have managed OK, but a few are dying
===back a little. I think I could baby all but one or two back
===before winter sets in.
===
===However, hurricane Ivan is supposed to move over us in a
===day or so. It will be nothing like what's happening on the
===coast, but we are predicted to get 12 inches of rain and
===80 mph gusts.
===
===Any bright ideas out there on protecting my little saplings?
===
===billo

A little extra water sure won;t hurt, but 19 1/2" inches of rainfall
and and loose leaning 100+ foot trees are another story. I'd gladly
trade you your problem for mine ;-)

Bill Oliver 17-09-2004 03:34 AM

In article ,
Roy wrote:

Old Ivan dumped 19 1/2" on me in less than 12 hours time.......Once he
got here I never thought he was gonna leave. I only suffered minor
damges to house and out buildings but have close to 2 dozen trees that
are gonna have to come down, and thats not counting the ones he took
down fully, The ones remaining are all 100+ foot tall long leaf pines
and oaks. The pines have ost of the limbs and tops busted out of them,
and the oaks are all leaning pretty bad, I have sandy soil so its not
gonna take much more for them to fall on their own..so they have to
come down.

My condolences. So far we have lost only two or three mature trees,
though I am sure there will be more when we go out to look at
the damage tomorrow evening. The hurricane did not get stuck here,
but moved on up into Tennessee with some alacrity.

billo

David Hill 17-09-2004 11:22 AM

"....I recently (3 days ago) planted about 20 small (1-2gal) trees
===ordered by mail ....."

I'd lift them PDQ and keep them inside till the hurricane has passed and
then replant when conditions are right

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

MLEBLANCA 17-09-2004 04:14 PM

Roy
so sorry about your loss of trees. It is sad to lose A TREE, but dozens is
really sad.
Emilie
NorCal

SVTKate 18-09-2004 11:56 AM

Where the did THAT come from?
He was asking what to do with the little trees... he was obviously going to
do SOMETHING.
Yank the little out of the dirt and stuff them back into a pot and put them
in the garage. That way they don't get beatedn to death by the wind.

Sheesh...

Kate

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
| Do as I say not as I do?
|
| I doubt that you yourself would go to all that trouble over some tree
| seedlings.
|
| They are not worth risking one's life over.
|
| They will be better off if they are left in the ground.
|

| "SVTKate" wrote in message
| ink.net...
| I would pull them back up, gently tuck them back into pots and wait till
| the
| planting conditions were more amiable.
|
| Kate
|
| "Bill Oliver" wrote in message
| |
| | I recently (3 days ago) planted about 20 small (1-2gal) trees I
| | ordered by mail. Most have managed OK, but a few are dying
| | back a little. I think I could baby all but one or two back
| | before winter sets in.
| |
| | However, hurricane Ivan is supposed to move over us in a
| | day or so. It will be nothing like what's happening on the
| | coast, but we are predicted to get 12 inches of rain and
| | 80 mph gusts.
| |