GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mesquite Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83738-mesquite-trees.html)

Ed Dente 17-09-2004 06:13 PM

Mesquite Trees

Hi,
I have a few mesquite trees in 8" pots that I started from seed last year. I know that's
unusual, but it's a small way to have a little bit of the southwest here in Boston.
They are now a year old, and about 1.3 feet tall.
Here's my question. Each has five or six branches emanating from the central stem, and
they are a little rangy. If I were to cut the branches back maybe halfway on each, would
the trees be likely to become bushier, or would it be harmful to them?
Is there such a thing as bonsai mesquite? (Only half joking.)
If pruning or cutting back is good, is this, just before what I would guess might be a
dormant period, the right time to do so?
Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Ed

escapee 18-09-2004 02:58 PM

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:13:50 GMT, Ed Dente opined:

Hi,
I have a few mesquite trees in 8" pots that I started from seed last year. I know that's
unusual, but it's a small way to have a little bit of the southwest here in Boston.
They are now a year old, and about 1.3 feet tall.
Here's my question. Each has five or six branches emanating from the central stem, and
they are a little rangy. If I were to cut the branches back maybe halfway on each, would
the trees be likely to become bushier, or would it be harmful to them?
Is there such a thing as bonsai mesquite? (Only half joking.)
If pruning or cutting back is good, is this, just before what I would guess might be a
dormant period, the right time to do so?
Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Ed

Well, mesquite are usually multi-trunked and I have them coming up all over my
yard from seed. The one I have is very old and it makes a ton of seed pods. I
allowed one of the saplings to live and in one year it great almost 8 feet.
However, it does have multi-trunks. At first, the foliage reached the bottom of
the plant, but as it ages it "cleans" itself and takes on more of a tree form.
You may have something there about bonsai, but you may have to do some research
on that.

I have had a whole side of a mesquite tear off from a storm and within a few
weeks branches were growing up where the trunk ripped off. So, I would say
before it breaks in spring, give it a try. I think if you provide adequate full
sun and as much heat as possible by allowing them to grow in front of a south
facing wall where it gets hot, the trees will get bushier on their own.

Victoria

dc 28-09-2004 04:12 AM

Ed Dente wrote in
:

Hi,
I have a few mesquite trees in 8" pots that I started from seed last
year. I know that's unusual, but it's a small way to have a little bit
of the southwest here in Boston. They are now a year old, and about
1.3 feet tall. Here's my question. Each has five or six branches
emanating from the central stem, and they are a little rangy. If I
were to cut the branches back maybe halfway on each, would the trees
be likely to become bushier, or would it be harmful to them? Is there
such a thing as bonsai mesquite? (Only half joking.) If pruning or
cutting back is good, is this, just before what I would guess might be
a dormant period, the right time to do so?
Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Ed

When they get bigger use the wood for BBQ.