Old 18-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Bill

Default Mercury in Fish: Cause for Concern?

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/mercury.html

Mercury Is Everywhere

Mercury occurs naturally in the environment. According to FDA toxicologist
Mike Bolger, Ph.D., approximately 2,700 to 6,000 tons of mercury are
released annually into the atmosphere naturally by degassing from the
Earth's crust and oceans. Another 2,000 to 3,000 tons are released annually
into the atmosphere by human activities, primarily from burning household
and industrial wastes, and especially from fossil fuels such as coal.

The Hawke
Old 19-09-2004, 06:05 AM
Doug Kanter

Have you been living in a cave? You just discovered this? Bush has been
performing sexual (and legal/financial) favors for his chums in the utility
industry. He's given them a free pass to do absolutely nothing about
coal-burning power plants. As you said, some mercury releases occur
naturally, but some don't. Write to the pig in the White House and tell him
you're aware of his crimes. Then, vote correctly and send him back to his
so-called "ranch".

Old 19-09-2004, 06:37 AM
paghat

In article ta23d.213689$Fg5.102457@attbi_s53, wrote:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/mercury.html

Mercury Is Everywhere

Mercury occurs naturally in the environment. According to FDA toxicologist
Mike Bolger, Ph.D., approximately 2,700 to 6,000 tons of mercury are
released annually into the atmosphere naturally by degassing from the
Earth's crust and oceans. Another 2,000 to 3,000 tons are released annually
into the atmosphere by human activities, primarily from burning household
and industrial wastes, and especially from fossil fuels such as coal.

The Hawke

The website you point to asks if mercury in fish is cause for concern. The
answer is a resounding yes.

Besides the warnings on the page you cite, against eating more than 12
ounces of fish per week, here's another FDA-generated warning:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/admehg.html
Title: "An important message for pregnant women and women of childbearing
age who may become pregant, about the risks of mercury in fish."
Recommendation: "long-lived, larger fish that feed on other fish
accumulate the highest levels of methylmercury and pose the greatest risk
to people who eat them regularly. You can protect your unborn child by
not eating these large fish...Shark, Swordfish, King macerel, Tilefish."
The article notes also that FRESHwater fish are more dangerously
contaminated.

Yet another joint FDA & EPA warning is a little more strident:
http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/fishadvice/advice.html
It says plainly not to eat more than 12 ounces of fish a week if you want
to remain in the safe zone.

The greatest dangers to exposures to the least amounts of mercury are
prenatal. At present typical mercury levels are not thought to be a
significant health hazard to adults. But the really dangerous levels of
both mercery & dioxin are in farm-raised fish rather than wild-caught,
though dioxin is a growing problem with wild-caught as well, from
pesticides that wash into bodies of water, & from waste management
programs that generate dioxins as a byproduct pumped directly in the
oceans.

Commercial fishing enterprises and especially fish farming umbrella
organizations are busily generating "mercury is safe" literature & "FDA
uses junk science" disinformation in order to drum up public support to
reverse FDA and EPA protections against mercury poisoning. Dickhead Cheney
would like nothing better than reverse all consumer protection
legislations of any kind but most especially those like the Mercury act
promoted primarily by Cheney's archenemy Patrick Leahy. Republicans are
even now attempting to reverse Senator Leahy's mercury contamination bill,
& have already pressured EPA into maintaining a level of acceptable
exposure about one-fifth that of the FDA recommendations.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 19-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Bill

Doug Kanter wrote:

Have you been livingplentyave? You just discovered this? Bush has been
performing sexual (and legal/financial) favors for his chums in the
utility industry. He's given them a free pass to do absolutely nothing
about coal-burning power plants. As you said, some mercury releases occur
naturally, but some don't. Write to the pig in the White House and tell
him you're aware of his crimes. Then, vote correctly and send him back to
his so-called "ranch".

Where do you assholes come from, you must crawl out from under a rock
whenever you see a post in which you can diss Bush.

I could care less about you or Bush or your crusade against him.

I would suggest that a moron like you should eat a lot of mercury laden
fish! LOL

The Hawke
Old 19-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Bill

I posted the reference and part of the article for information only!

You and idiot Doug, seem to think that you can make up people's mind for
them.

The Hawke

Old 19-09-2004, 08:52 AM
paghat

In article bR93d.68804$MQ5.37181@attbi_s52, wrote:

I posted the reference and part of the article for information only!

You and idiot Doug, seem to think that you can make up people's mind for
them.

The Hawke

Idiot schmidiot. I in no way suggested otherwise with my post, but only
elaborated the points you quoted & provided further citations for the
stiff FDA warnings. So you're just an oversensitive splash of old man
sputum.

your pal,
paggers

Old 19-09-2004, 12:16 PM
SVTKate

My grandfather was a gold miner.
"Back in the day" before anyone knew any better, he used quicksilver to
separate the gold out from the quartz.
In his later years, he went crazy. I think it was due to Mercury Poisoning.
I don't even think that they put mercury in thermometers anymore do they?

Kate

Old 19-09-2004, 12:53 PM
madgardener

don't feed it, Paggers.
maddie

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
news

Old 19-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bill" wrote in message
I posted the reference and part of the article for information only!

You and idiot Doug, seem to think that you can make up people's mind for
them.

The Hawke

Holy smokes. Are you a dumb phuque, or WHAT? Ever heard of the Minimata
disaster, 50 years ago in Japan? A real mercury picnic. The first link is
probbly the goodest 4 u kuz it has a pikture first, showing wut merkry kin
do to a kid.

http://www.ecosuperior.com/pages/minimata.htm

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/M...ry-Victims.htm

http://www.tekran.com/phpcode/Mina_main.php

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/1.../feature2.html

Old 19-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Betsy

I tuned in to the radio on Thursday and heard a guy with a raspy voice being
interviewed. No, it wasn't PBS, my normal station, but that TV station that
rebroadcasts on the radio (I never can remember its call letters!), and they
allow all types on the air.

Anyway, it was Robert F. Kennedy Jr. I didn't know that, at first, and
listened very critically. I am definitely very "green" but I am also very
wary and never ever accept anything on first hearing.

I had heard about the mercury problem in Japan many years ago. I thought,
erroneously, that this was being handled carefully for the protection of the
American public, and would have been warned these last 30 years if we were
in danger. Now I realize my VERY serious error in this.

Kennedy has written a book in which he talks about the environmental impact
of the Bush administration, which got a lot of press at first, but then 9/11
came along and everyone forgot the foolhardy things Bush was doing because
they felt guilty and felt they needed to be "patriotic". Foolishly, I
thought maybe some of the problems were solved!

Not at all. Look what Bush did in his first months of office:

"The Clinton administration was prosecuting 51 power plants on their
violations of the Clean Air Act. But the coal industry and the coal-burning
utilities gave $4.8 million to President Bush during the 2000 election. When
Bush came in, he repaid the favor by ordering the Justice Department and the
EPA to drop all those lawsuits. We've never seen anything like that in
American history before -- where a president comes in having accepted
political contributions from criminals and then orders the prosecutions
dropped against them."

The name of the book is "Crimes Against Natu How George W. Bush and His
Corporate Pals Are Plundering the Country and Hijacking Our Democracy". I
urge everyone who is of like mind, and anybody on the fence, to get it and
read it and VOTE THE JERK OUT OF OFFICE! Anybody would be better. Even
Kerry

Old 19-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Betsy

P.S. Here is a link to an interview if you'd like to follow up on this
issue:

http://www.perc.org/publications/articles/rfk.php

Old 19-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Norman Bates

Doug Kanter wrote:

Write to the pig in the White House and tell him
you're aware of his crimes. Then, vote correctly and send him back to his
so-called "ranch".

Give it up, Kanater. The election is over, you guys didn't even have a
candidate this year.

Old 19-09-2004, 06:15 PM
remove munged

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 06:40:08 GMT, Bill wrote:

You and idiot Doug, seem to think that you can make up people's mind for
them.

Poor Hawke another victim of a rectal cranial inversion!

You obviously can't read....

Ya gotta HAVE a mind to make up!
Old 19-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Doug Kanter

"Norman Bates" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

Write to the pig in the White House and tell him
you're aware of his crimes. Then, vote correctly and send him back to

his
so-called "ranch".

Give it up, Kanater. The election is over, you guys didn't even have a
candidate this year.

The binary thinking alarm just went off. I'm not enthused with Kerry, but
that is in NO way related to the reality of what Bush has done to please his
puppeteers in the utility industry. You know that.

Old 19-09-2004, 07:54 PM
paghat

In article et,
"SVTKate" wrote:

My grandfather was a gold miner.
"Back in the day" before anyone knew any better, he used quicksilver to
separate the gold out from the quartz.
In his later years, he went crazy. I think it was due to Mercury Poisoning.
I don't even think that they put mercury in thermometers anymore do they?

Kate

Right, it's not in thermometers anymore. But I can remember breaking a
thermometer as a kid, rollikng the mercury around in the palm of my hand,
& putting it in a small pill bottle to keep in a little rock collection --
then being sad that it evaporated. Its dangers were not unknown yet at the
time every household had several easily broken glass thermometers laying
about, for checking fevers or weather thermometers. That's a danger now of
the past.

It was once widely used as a medicine for treatment of minor & severe
illnesses from acne to syphyllus. Its side-effects included kidney
failure, dissolving the spine & other bone loss, gum loss, tooth loss,
nail discoloration, hair loss, Crohn's disease & other severe
gastrointestinal illness, cardiovascular disease, severe fatigue, mental
deterioration, memory loss, moodiness, & madness, palsy, seizure
disorders, blindness, deafness, damage to central nervous system,
neurological disorders, language difficulty, diminished motor skills,
Cushing's syndrome, endocrine disturbances.

When a large toxic exposure occurs the health issues that result are
severe & unmistakable. At lower but persistent exposures, mercury may pass
undetected as the cause of Guillian-Barre syndrome, long-term memory loss,
dementia, & senility, colitis, chronic fatigue syndrome, & many other
problems for which a causal link to mercury is difficult to prove but
which many researchers suspect. Dental amalgam, normal amounts of mercury
in even wild-caught fish, & evaporative levels accumulating in basements,
may well be contributing factors.

"Causal link" is the key word here. Many health problems have been shown
beyond any statistical dought to have an increased incidence in people
with mercury in their teeth. They study that started the debat was a 1993
compilation of 1,569 patients from four countries with an array of minor
symptoms potentially associated with mercury poisoning, chiefly memory
difficulties & chronic fatigue (another area difficult to quantify beyond
each patient's own subjectivity). All 1,569 patients had their dental
amalgams removed, with an 80% recovery rate for the sufferers. This is a
highly indicative study, but it analyzed existing case studies that were
not set up to prove any causal link. But a second study of 2,000
additional cases undertaken in Germany had the same high rates of recovery
after removal of mercury amalgams.

The American Dental Association has remained stubborn about acting on such
findings on the basis of there being no "causal link" firmly established.
And by now they don't dare take a belated stand or dentists will risk
being sued out of existance by everyone with so much as a headache or
recurring fatigue because all mercury fillings done since the early 1990s
can certainly be regarded as legally & medically a known risk that
dentists consciously decided to ignore. Such lawsuits are already being
brought, which puts the ADA in the sorry position of having to support
growing numbers of dentists who've done the wrong thing, & their best
method of support right now is to deny it is the wrong thing to do. The
ADA actively threatens anti-amalgam dentists who speak openly about the
current science, because the ADA rightly believes such concerned dentists
who refuse to stick to the party line are a threat to dentists
collectively. And dentists have left the ADA in droves over this issue;
half of all dentists under the age of thirty-five with more modern
awareness of their trade never join the ADA at all.

Yet the studies keep coming. A University of Kentucky study established
conclusively that people who die of Alzheimer syndrome have twice as much
mercury in their systems as is normal. Low-level but ongoing exposure from
such sources as fillings have been implicated "a possible factor" in
multiple sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease, & Parkinson's disease. The near
impossibility of turning statistical likelihood into definitive causal
link is what made it possible for the tobacco industry to pretend for
decades that cigarettes were harmless, & permitted clean up of asbestos to
be put off for more than fifty years after it was nominally known to be
extremely hazardous. If the government declared dental amalgams
definitively harmful, the lawsuits would increase by factors of thousands.
The hope is that the dental industry will voluntarily correct its behavior
before that is necessary, but it will probably take government action
before what does need to be done is done.

But for the greater whop-a-doodle levels of sickness that are not so
frought with subjectivity, & for which causal links are firmly
established, exposures must generally be greater than from amalgams,
needing the extra kick of industrial activity, waste disposal, spills,
contaminated products such as Chinese medicines or imported facial creams,
or such grotesque cases as the Illinois boy who stole mercury from a
school lab, covered his body with it to play Tin Man of Oz, permanently
damaging himself neurologically & making the family home uninhabitable for
ten months with expensive clean-up by the EPA. Other severe cases include
eating contaminated pork & farm-fish that had been given
mercury-contaminated feeds, contaminated water, living near or working in
mines or along rivers into which mining contaminants are dumped, or near
coal-burning plants or plants that use boilers, or near medical &
hazardous waste incinerators.

After a couple centuries western physicians finally caught on & stopped
recommending it for illnesses it was more apt to cause than cure. But in
Chinese & Tibetan herbal medicines or dietary supplements, the most active
ingredients are frequently mercury & arsenic. Herbal hypochondriacs who
have Romantic superstitions about Chinese Traditional Medicine are at
particular risk. One study of Chinese herbal compounds, undertaken by the
California Department of Health Services, ran analyses on 251 Asian herbal
medicines & found that 14% contained toxic levels of mercury, 14% toxic
levels of arsenic, besides such deadly herbs as birthwart, monkshood, &
foxglove that are banned for such use in the US & never listed as
confessed ingredients. A UK study found that some Chinese medicines as
much or more than 11% mercury, which was either not mentioned on the
labels or was mentioned only in Chinese; other Chinese medicines
purporting to be herbal turned out to contain as their active ingredients
cortico steroids or glibenclamide (a drug for diabetics). So when
"believers" in this crap feel it really has an effect on them, they're
quite right! But do they know that what they're responding to is not
Natural Herbal Medicines, but steroids, diabetic drugs, mercury, &
arsenic?

The "wise" Chinese Traditional take on mercury is it causes longevity &
good health, basing its use on astrological charts rather than on effects
on human subjects. The majority of the products are of the
sucker-born-every-minute type.