GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Identification - northern New Jersey (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83824-tree-identification-northern-new-jersey.html)

swim learning 19-09-2004 07:16 PM

Tree Identification - northern New Jersey

Please identify the tree whose eight photos, taken in September, are
shown he http://myturl.com/0015j

If the web-page is not accessible, please go to:
http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

and select the "plant-25" album.

The leaves are simply toothed and opposite. The twig has a pair of
opposite leaves, then a second pair perpendicular to the first, then a
third pair aligned as the first pair and so on. What is such an
arrangement named?

The flat, long fruit, shown in pic-2, looks somewhat like a smaller
version of green-ash fruit.

Thank you.

Marley1372 20-09-2004 05:11 PM

Thats definitley a green ash, Fraxinus americana. There are only a handful of
trees that grow in your area that have opposite leaves, and the fruit is a dead
giveaway.

Toad

swim learning 20-09-2004 10:50 PM

(Marley1372) wrote in message ...
Thats definitley a green ash, Fraxinus americana. There are only a handful of
trees that grow in your area that have opposite leaves, and the fruit is a dead
giveaway.

Toad

From what little I know:

Fraxinus Americana is White Ash. Green Ash is Fraxinus Pennsylvanica.

Nevertheless, while the Ash has opposite leaf-pairs, adjacent
alternate leaf-pairs are not perpendicular to each other. The ash
leaf-pairs are all in the same plane. In my photos you may be able to
notice that adjacent pairs of leaves twisted on the twig by 90
degrees.

Can you show me some online images of the leaves that show the leaves
the way I have described them? Or please point me to a book.

Pam - gardengal 21-09-2004 01:19 AM

"swim learning" wrote in message
om...
(Marley1372) wrote in message

Thats definitley a green ash, Fraxinus americana. There are only a

handful of
trees that grow in your area that have opposite leaves, and the fruit is

a dead
giveaway.

Toad

From what little I know:

Fraxinus Americana is White Ash. Green Ash is Fraxinus Pennsylvanica.

Nevertheless, while the Ash has opposite leaf-pairs, adjacent
alternate leaf-pairs are not perpendicular to each other. The ash
leaf-pairs are all in the same plane. In my photos you may be able to
notice that adjacent pairs of leaves twisted on the twig by 90
degrees.

Can you show me some online images of the leaves that show the leaves
the way I have described them? Or please point me to a book.

I think you are both pretty close. I, too, believe it is an ash, most
likely Fraxinus oxycarpa (or F. angustifolia ssp. oxycarpa, if you prefer)
if the leaf pairs are whorled. I agree with Toad - the fruit is hard to
argue with.

pam - gardengal

swim learning 22-09-2004 02:16 PM

(swim learning) wrote in message . com...
Please identify the tree whose eight photos, taken in September, are
shown he
http://myturl.com/0015j

If the web-page is not accessible, please go to:
http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

and select the "plant-25" album.

The leaves are simply toothed and opposite. The twig has a pair of
opposite leaves, then a second pair perpendicular to the first, then a
third pair aligned as the first pair and so on. What is such an
arrangement named?

The flat, long fruit, shown in pic-2, looks somewhat like a smaller
version of green-ash fruit.

Thank you.

I am adding the newsgroup sci/bio/botany to the thread. Toad and Pam
are suggesting the tree is a Fraxinus Oxycarpa (Raywood Ash). Pictures
of Raywood Ash show the leaf-pairs in a single plane while the tree in
my photos have adjacent leaf-pairs perpendicular to each other. Please
clarify.

mel turner 22-09-2004 09:22 PM

"swim learning" wrote in message
om...
(swim learning) wrote in message

. com...
Please identify the tree whose eight photos, taken in September, are
shown he http://myturl.com/0015j

If the web-page is not accessible, please go to:
http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

and select the "plant-25" album.

The leaves are simply toothed and opposite. The twig has a pair of
opposite leaves, then a second pair perpendicular to the first, then a
third pair aligned as the first pair and so on. What is such an
arrangement named?

Opposite-decussate. That's generally true of most plants with opposite
leaves.

The flat, long fruit, shown in pic-2, looks somewhat like a smaller
version of green-ash fruit.

Thank you.

I am adding the newsgroup sci/bio/botany to the thread. Toad and Pam
are suggesting the tree is a Fraxinus Oxycarpa (Raywood Ash). Pictures
of Raywood Ash show the leaf-pairs in a single plane

More likely, you're looking at the leaflets making up a compound leaf
typical of most ash species. Yours has simple leaves.

while the tree in
my photos have adjacent leaf-pairs perpendicular to each other. Please
clarify.

The fruits in your photo very clearly seem to be those of an ash [genus
Fraxinus], but nearly all ashes have compound leaves divided into leaflets.

Your tree, on the other hand, seems to have simple, toothed leaves. I'd
thought that the only simple-leaved ash species was _Fraxinus anomala_
from the southwest, but its foliage appears rather different from yours:

http://www.suu.edu/faculty/martin/as...leleafash.html

However,
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_63.html

says that one commonly cultivated form of _Fraxinus excelsior_ [European
Ash]
has simple leaves. That's my best guess as to the identity of your mystery
tree.

cheers

mel turner 22-09-2004 10:20 PM

"I" wrote in message
"swim learning" wrote in message
om...
(swim learning) wrote in message

. com...
Please identify the tree whose eight photos, taken in September, are
shown he http://myturl.com/0015j

If the web-page is not accessible, please go to:
http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

[snip]
The fruits in your photo very clearly seem to be those of an ash
[genus Fraxinus], but nearly all ashes have compound leaves divided
into leaflets.

Your tree, on the other hand, seems to have simple, toothed leaves.
I'd thought that the only simple-leaved ash species was _Fraxinus
anomala_ from the southwest, but its foliage appears rather different
from yours:

http://www.suu.edu/faculty/martin/as...leleafash.html

However,
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_63.html

says that one commonly cultivated form of _Fraxinus excelsior_
[European Ash] has simple leaves. That's my best guess as to the
identity of your mystery tree.

That guess seems to be correct.

See
http://horticulture.missouri.edu/sta...2/frax_exc.htm

for a seeming very close match of your plant in
_Fraxinus excelsior "Hessei"

cheers

P van Rijckevorsel 23-09-2004 09:23 AM

mel turner schreef
Your tree, on the other hand, seems to have simple, toothed leaves.

I'd thought that the only simple-leaved ash species was _Fraxinus
anomala_ from the southwest, but its foliage appears rather different
from yours:

http://www.suu.edu/faculty/martin/as...leleafash.html

However,
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_63.html

says that one commonly cultivated form of _Fraxinus excelsior_

[European Ash] has simple leaves. That's my best guess as to the
identity of your mystery tree.

*****
I remember that Fraxinus angustifolia 'Monophylla' also has simple leaves
(compound leaves with a single leaflet). As can be read from the name this
is a fairly old cultivar. Its leaves will be rather more narrow.
PvR

Zeitkind 23-09-2004 09:36 PM

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

I remember that Fraxinus angustifolia

Has normally smaller leaves, see
http://www.systbot.gu.se/staff/evawa...ustif_lvs2.jpg

A lot of ashes photos can be found he

http://www.systbot.gu.se/staff/evawal/fraximages.html

P van Rijckevorsel 23-09-2004 10:07 PM

Zeitkind schreef
Has normally smaller leaves

* * *
1) ash has leaflets
2) according to my dendrology text the leaflets of F.angustifolia
'Monophylla' are twice the size of F.angustifolia and actually bigger than
those of a typical F.excelsior
3) I never suggested that this is the identity of the 'mystery tree'
PvR