GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree roots growing back - how to stop? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/83999-tree-roots-growing-back-how-stop.html)

Laura 23-09-2004 07:20 PM

Tree roots growing back - how to stop?

Hi,

I had a huge elm(?) tree in my backyard that was removed over a year
ago. Even after having someone do some grinding 18" down around the
main part of the stump, there are still a few places where the roots
are re-sprouting the tree.

The roots are several inches in diameter, and some are sticking up
from the ground. We keep cutting them off with an ax, but they keep
sprouting leaves!

I tried the stump remover where you drill a hole in the root and fill
it with the granules and hot water. That hasn't seem to work for all
of them.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

[email protected] 24-09-2004 05:16 AM

On 23 Sep 2004 11:20:36 -0700, (Laura) wrote:

Hi,

I had a huge elm(?) tree in my backyard that was removed over a year
ago. Even after having someone do some grinding 18" down

underground?

around the
main part

there are other parts?

of the stump, there are still a few places where the roots
are re-sprouting the tree.

The roots are several

like 3, or 8, or?

inches in diameter, and some are sticking up
from the ground.

huh? after stump ground 18" down?

We keep cutting them off with an ax, but they keep
sprouting leaves!

I tried the stump remover where you drill a hole in the root and fill
it with the granules and hot water. That hasn't seem to work for all
of them.

How can it work selectively, tho I can't tell the product as
described. Try 4 copper nails into the root.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Geographically where are you?

You sure it was an Elm? Not many left for years.

Why was the tree removed?

Not to be pushy...I do want to help.

-brad

Pat Kiewicz 24-09-2004 11:26 AM

Laura said:

I had a huge elm(?) tree in my backyard that was removed over a year
ago. Even after having someone do some grinding 18" down around the
main part of the stump, there are still a few places where the roots
are re-sprouting the tree.

I think that you must be talking about a white poplar, cottonwood or an
ailanthus (tree-of-heaven). Those are the only tree which can get pretty
huge that sprout so vigorously from the roots.

The roots are several inches in diameter, and some are sticking up
from the ground. We keep cutting them off with an ax, but they keep
sprouting leaves!

I tried the stump remover where you drill a hole in the root and fill
it with the granules and hot water. That hasn't seem to work for all
of them.

It will give up eventually if you are really persistant. You could try
carefully hand-applying Roundup (or its equivalent) to the sprouts as
they come up.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Steve Wolfe 24-09-2004 05:34 PM

It will give up eventually if you are really persistant. You could try
carefully hand-applying Roundup (or its equivalent) to the sprouts as
they come up.

When the roots of my neighbor's cottonwood (which was severely butchered
in a pruning) started doing that in my yard, heavy doses of Roundup did
nothing to them. I finally got sick, and just pulled the roots up all the
way back to the tree - the roots which were producing the suckers were small
and shallow, it wasn't that hard to do - and it took care of the problem.

steve

Roy 25-09-2004 12:42 AM

Get a dose or two of Pathfinder II. It will cure any and all suckers
and future root growth
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Lee 25-09-2004 04:59 AM

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

I think that you must be talking about a white poplar, cottonwood or an
ailanthus (tree-of-heaven). Those are the only tree which can get pretty
huge that sprout so vigorously from the roots.

nu-ugh... I have a huge stump of Mimosa with huge roots was cut down
abt Dec 2001 and it is still sending up sprouts big time. I mea like
dozens of themwhich grow to 3 feet in a wink and we keep cutting them
back and putting roundup and drilling holes in stump ..cut as tearing
up a fence and highlines.. and in order to keep neighbor happy ..
still trying to get it to stop growingG

It will give up eventually if you are really persistant. You could try
carefully hand-applying Roundup (or its equivalent) to the sprouts as
they come up.

think the ghost of that tree wil see me to my graveG

Spud Demon 27-09-2004 05:32 PM

(Lee) writes in article dated 24 Sep 2004 20:59:58 -0700:
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

I think that you must be talking about a white poplar, cottonwood or an
ailanthus (tree-of-heaven). Those are the only tree which can get pretty
huge that sprout so vigorously from the roots.

nu-ugh... I have a huge stump of Mimosa with huge roots was cut down
abt Dec 2001 and it is still sending up sprouts big time. I mea like
dozens of themwhich grow to 3 feet in a wink and we keep cutting them
back and putting roundup and drilling holes in stump ..cut as tearing
up a fence and highlines.. and in order to keep neighbor happy ..
still trying to get it to stop growingG

I finally succeeded in terminating a willow tree by alternating between
cutting and Roundup. You don't want to do them both at the same time,
because it takes a while for the poison to work its way back down into the
roots.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Lee 28-09-2004 07:26 AM

(Spud Demon) wrote in message
I finally succeeded in terminating a willow tree by alternating between
cutting and Roundup. You don't want to do them both at the same time,
because it takes a while for the poison to work its way back down into the
roots.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

thanks; guess we will continue the cutting and roundup and maybe it
will disappear in another 10 or 15 years g ---- by that time it
won't make any difference to me...at my age : ) --- acceptance!
leo/lee

Laura 28-09-2004 08:49 PM

Thanks all - Here's a response to questions from Brad --

The tree was removed because it was diseased and a couple of large
branches had already fallen. The stump and surrounding area was
ground down about 18". This means that a circlular area maybe 12 feet
in diameter(?) was ground down.

The area outside of this still has roots because the tree was easily
at least 30' tall. So, the larger roots are sprouting tree suckers.
There are maybe 6 of them at this time.

Geographically I'm located in San Jose, California.

I hope this helps explain the situation.

-Laura